Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Idiots in charge
    #2798138 - 06/16/04 06:43 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

(AP) - The Bush administration will not immediately create a national do-not-spam registry to discourage unwanted e-mails, saying using current technology to do so might generate even more unsolicited sales pitches across the Internet, according to documents obtained Tuesday. The Federal Trade Commission, expected to announce its decision later in the day, said it feared that unscrupulous senders of unwanted e-mails would mine such a registry of e-mail addresses looking for new victims, according to a summary of the FTC's decision obtained by The Associated Press.

By golly George, if we publish a list of email addresses, the spammers are gonna just send more spam to those addresses.

:rolleyes: Perhaps we should simply keep the list hidden, allow people sending legal spam to query a server with an email address.  The server responds Yea or Nay depending upon if the given email is on the list or not.  We already have this technology in place, more or less, with the various SMTP open relay blacklists.

No wonder we can't catch some schmuck hiding in the mountains.

(I wasn't really sure where to post this... Science & Tech, or Politics... I went for politics 'cause it demonstrates yet again how pathetic and dim our current leadership is...)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Idiots in charge [Re: Seuss]
    #2798327 - 06/16/04 08:19 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Was this plan in action from the Bush admin or did it work its way up to the Bush admin?? How do I know who came up with this idea, at least they are saying its not worth it at this stage to even try... What your saying is they are dumb for declining to do something that wouldnt work...

Im lost.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Idiots in charge [Re: Redo]
    #2798517 - 06/16/04 09:51 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The Bush administration is saying that if they give out a do-not-spam list, that the spammers will simply use the list as a source for new emails to spam. Since this is bad, the no-spam-list wont work.

I am saying that the Bush administration is dim (in this case, at least). They don't have to give out the list to make it work. All they have to do is verify that an email address is on the list or is not on the list. Granted, the spammers would have to update their spamming software... which they do anyway, all the time, to get around the latest spam filters.

What I cannot decide: is this just another example of our not so bright leadership, or is this another example of corruption at the top? (Are spammers known to contribute to the Bush campaign?)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Idiots in charge [Re: Seuss]
    #2798575 - 06/16/04 10:13 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Im sure some spammers contribue to Bush and some to Kerry. Politics delays solutions from happening always, and I dont see, as they dont, a no spam list doing anything at all. So they dont want to do it and maybe look another direction. Thats all they are saying, its addressing the issue of a no spam list, not addressing the solution to the problem of spam.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom