Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: halted mycelium growth
    #279847 - 03/27/01 10:33 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

or water

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
    #279923 - 03/27/01 12:28 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I suppose you can dunk them. Fill each jar with cold water and screw the cap on. 12 hours later drain and pat your cakes dry with a paper towel. Put them back into dry jars. This tek works great.

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
Re: halted mycelium growth [Re: puscle]
    #279932 - 03/27/01 12:38 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Since the cakes aren't totally colonized, dunking would cause massive contamination.

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Re: halted mycelium growth [Re: Azure]
    #279964 - 03/27/01 01:49 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Have you tried this, Azure? And did you fail as well?

OfflineChonger
Olive grower

Loc: England
    #279999 - 03/27/01 03:02 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

No, wait, I seriously doubt that it is a lack of water, considering what you have told us so far. I think it sounds more like a lack of air, and if most of the colonisation is towards the top of your jars, and your jars are still sealed, then this is definetely the case.

--------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotomy

InvisibleMalkoth
Stalking Butler

#288409 - 04/08/01 09:27 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Im back heh. Ok, well 1 jar had a contam in it and my guess is thats why it wasnt growing. The other one i dunked for 12 hours and it stopped growing after i put it back and patted it down and everything. So then i said screw the ramsey seal (because all the jars i used the Ramsey Seal on got the same contam.... some white fuzzy lookin shit, definitely not like the myclium i was lookin for.) and just sealed it off using regular vermiculite. i searched around and i used this substrate formula for each jar.

1/2 cup verm
1/4 cump BRF (had to grind myself)
1/4 cup tap water (i live in a rural place and we get well water so im not that worried about chemicals, although i could be wrong)

For the most part the formula fit in the 1/2 pint jars, just had to slam it down a couple times and then i used a fork to push it down a little more and leveled it off. wiped the sides down, added dry verm, boiled in a pot for an hour. oh yeah i put tape over the holes and tin foil over the lids so water didnt get in.

Several days later after not noticing any contaminations, i used what was left of my B+ syringe (~2cc) and inocculated 2 jars at 2 spots each. I put them in my closet where the temp is about 72 and 3 days later i noticed growth. at first the growth wasnt thick, but it was spreading out to about a little bigger then a half dollar. (this basicaly happened last time i tried this) then it stopped growing outwards and grew thicker and more white. Well that was 3 days ago and it hasnt budged since. I removed the tape because i thought they needed air and they still didnt move. I then turned the jars upside down and i checked this morning and still no growth. There are tiny little water droplets where the mycelium is growing, and one cake actualy looks like it shrunk a little. But im at lost to figure out what is wrong, or if im just freakin out over nothing. usualy when i read about peoples myclium growth it takes so many days before it starts to grow and then it continues to grow until its fully colonized (barring those few instances where there are little spots that arnt being colonized). But for me there are very large spots left to be colonized heh. its been a week and 3 days since inocculation. hope all this helps, if there is anything else you guys need to help lemme know and ill tell.

If i could only pursuade my friend's girlfriend to lemme borrow her digicam then i could take pictures for everyone and let you guys see.

Offlineemetheus
enthusiast
Re: halted mycelium growth [Re: Malkoth]
    #288410 - 04/08/01 09:32 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

kinda sounds like excess water is getting into your jars during sterilization.
do you cover lids with foil ?
don't allow the water to come more than 1 inch up the jar sides.

Visit http://mycotopia.yage.net

--------------------

InvisibleMalkoth
Stalking Butler

Re: halted mycelium growth [Re: emetheus]
    #288418 - 04/08/01 09:45 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Hrmmm. Yeah i covered them with foil when i boiled them. i put enough water to bring it half way up the jars. i opened the lids up last night to check the smell and everything smelled good. didnt smell like mushrooms, but did smell like verm + grain. the top layer of the verm did looke damp though. If it is too much water, is there anything i can do to help this out without throwing away my jars again heh??

Edited by Malkoth on 04/08/01 09:46 AM.

Offlineemetheus
enthusiast
    #288910 - 04/09/01 09:52 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

unfortunately, not really.
half way up the jars is too far, the boiling water climbs up and spills into the jar thru the holes.
raise the jars up by placing something under them so you can still have enough water but no seepage.

--------------------

Offlinemorlahere
addict
    #288916 - 04/09/01 10:07 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

hey there emetheus, you're the man when it comes to this sort of thing, but do you think he could've pack the jars to tight?
slamming them down and that sort of thing?

Offlinegreymule
enthusiast
Loc: Colorado
    #288920 - 04/09/01 10:38 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

My friend had the same thing happen with too wet substrate. He took the Ramsey seal out and poured some of the dry Verm into the jars in front of a small HEPA filter. Then he set the jars on theirs sides with the HEPA air blowing directly into the jars for about an hour. Took them and set them on their sides to help with air exchange. And sacred feces (holy shit), they are almost completely colonized in 10 days. Might be worth a try. Maybe it was just dumb luck (for which he was overdue BTW) or maybe more pure air exchange is something that has promise for speeding up colonization. Hawke has mentioned that better air exchange speeds colonization.

--------------------
Them not busy bein' born are busy dyin'.

OfflineMcBarnesy
Stranger
Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
    #289001 - 04/09/01 01:51 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I know that this reply is a little late, but I have to agree with Chonger on the lack of air.  If the vermiculite that you're working with is that fine it creates very litlle, if any, air-space for the mycelial network.  This airspace is what allows very brittle mycealium to penetrate the entire cake.  With total colonization of your cakes there is much less chance of contamination and better cake productivity.  If you are worried about the air in the growing area being too dirty, and you don't have access to an air filter you have an alternative that sometimes works.  The jars can be flipped over, give the glass a good wack with your hand, and leave them standing on their lids.  This creates a little more air-space around the cake.  Good luck-Peace.

:wink:

--------------------
:wink: [green]

InvisibleMalkoth
Stalking Butler

#290475 - 04/11/01 10:40 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I think i have enough moisture, there are some really big water spots where the mycelium has grown, luckily i dont see any yellowing to think there is water damage. but i guess i just need to cross my fingers heh.

Offlineshizifty
enthusiast
Loc: tdot
    #290591 - 04/11/01 02:12 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Malkoth did you innoculate at only one spot in the jar? How many ccs did each jar get? My friends first run had similar problems and he only innoculated once (a whole cc) which caused a wet spot where the mycellium grew and of course halted growth since the mycelium has to work so hard to get anywhere from only one spot. If this is the case they will eventually colonise but it will take longer and you will have to avoid water in the jar that condenses later on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The older I get the more life seems to make sense, and the less I care

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
creatures of the forest sing along with my chorus

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation