Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Could it be?? have I birthed(into liquid) a NEW strain????
    #2797988 - 06/16/04 04:53 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well I Grandma got a print from a picker "the nook" that will remain nameless unless he wants to be known.

I know what you are thinking, "BIG fucking DEAL you got a print"

Well its not just a print its a WILD CUBIE print

From Whinnie Texas , not the same TEX everone else is passing around.
(I know texas is the same state but Lipa Yai , Koh Saumi and Ban Nathon all come from thilland, so I HOPE that this tex strain is as good or much better then the other one that every hippie and ther dog has. )

Grandma started 2 liquid jars last night, one B+ one from Whinnie Texas(the NEW STRAIN) and guess what the new strian is like spiderman trapped in a jar

Maybe it was because I used alot of spores and the syringe was dark but DAMN! thats amazing.

Also grandma thought " its ok that I forgot to put the broken glass in the bottoms of my jars , it will still work"

But now jar started earliest is looking thick, WHEN does she put the jars in the fridge????

When she is happy with the ammount of mycelium inside????

Grandma might need to make room

Anyway, NEW STRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What should it be named??? (I also think the picker should have a say )

Whinnie??

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Could it be?? have I birthed(into liquid) a NEW strain???? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2797991 - 06/16/04 04:59 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

How is this a new strain?

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Could it be?? have I birthed(into liquid) a NEW strain???? [Re: doc34]
    #2797995 - 06/16/04 05:03 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"How is this a new strain?"

The same way Lipa Yai and Koh Suami are different I guess.

Because like I SAID, its from a wild picker, and it was picked in WHINNIE TEXAS, I dont know where the other TEX was picked but I am willing to bet it wasent in the same spot or even close to the same towm.

So I HOPE this strain will show SOME difference when compared to the original tex strain. (HOPE)

its a new FLAVOUR of cubie, is that what I should have said??

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: Could it be?? have I birthed(into liquid) a NEW strain???? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2797996 - 06/16/04 05:03 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Anyhow, I put my karo jars in the fridge when I see growth about the size of a quarter,it will still grow,just at a snails pace.

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#2798000 - 06/16/04 05:05 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"Anyhow, I put my karo jars in the fridge when I see growth about the size of a quarter,it will still grow,just at a snails pace."

Cool so when I say stop it will(almost)
(personally I want more then a quarter, but I guess if I wait to long it gets to thick huh)

Thanks!

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2798001 - 06/16/04 05:07 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

This has been covered in other posts,but in order to obtain a strain you have to isolate to agar in order to isolate a "New Strain"from a wild print.You just can't go out and pick a "wild cube"and call it a New"Strain".Sorry,it doesn't work that way.

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2798003 - 06/16/04 05:09 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

If it did I would have a New Strain from the cubes I picked on the East Coast of Florida,but all I have is a wild print.

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2798011 - 06/16/04 05:14 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

This is what I'm trying to say. VVVV

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...part=1&vc=1

Sorry if I misunderstood your post,but I took it as you had a new strain just as you posted it.

Good Luck

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#2798013 - 06/16/04 05:16 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"This has been covered in other posts,but in order to obtain a strain you have to isolate to agar in order to isolate a "New Strain"from a wild print.You just can't go out and pick a "wild cube"and call it a New"Strain".Sorry,it doesn't work that way."

that doesnt make sense to me??

WHY would Liquid culture not count, and yes I have heard about isolating to agar, but IMO liquid culture is better.

So what about after I take prints from a indoor shroom, thats nothing??, until I put it on agar???

WHY??

I would be curious to know what MJ thinks about this.

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#2798021 - 06/16/04 05:20 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I think ATWAR or TEONAN would be better to answer your questions as they busted my ass when I asked the same.lol.

If you will read the link that I posted it should answer your questions concerning the "New Strains".

--------------------

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #2798024 - 06/16/04 05:21 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

have found it odd that there is only one Texas strain.

Some info on Texas

There are 11 climate regains in Texas.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/images/nature/wild/natrgbg.jpg

Texas has a total Area of 268,581 sq. miles

Texas has a population of 20,851,820

Elevation ranges from Sea level to 8,749 ft

To put this in prospective compare that to Iraq which is 168,754 sq miles.

Texas is BIG! I would suspect that shrooms have adapted to live in most of the climate regions, And each has unique guaranties.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Could it be?? have I birthed(into liquid) a NEW strain???? [Re: Cyber]
    #2798042 - 06/16/04 05:37 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"Texas is BIG! I would suspect that shrooms have adapted to live in most of the climate regions, And each has unique guaranties."

YES!

Awsome info man!!, I will isolate to agar if I have to, these prints are huge.

Whinnie Texas, I love you.

--------------------

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2798117 - 06/16/04 06:28 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I cant see why it cant be considered a new strain unless it came from the same general geographic location as the original tex strain.

MJ runs around the world collecting cubes from new places and calls them new strains,he named one after the buffalo whos shit it grew in.

doc34 said
"but in order to obtain a strain you have to isolate to agar in order to isolate a "New Strain"from a wild print.You just can't go out and pick a "wild cube"and call it a New"Strain".Sorry,it doesn't work that way."

that makes no sense.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #2798119 - 06/16/04 06:28 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, docs right, you really just have a wild print, and
a resulting wild Texan isolate. To know if you have something new,
you need to grow it on, and check its abilaty to fruit well in an
unatural enviroment, even then, wether you have a new strain of not
is a tougth call.

of course, you can always do what most people do lol :grin:

Just name it what you like, and spread it about, see if it catches on :grin:

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Could it be?? have I birthed(into liquid) a NEW strain???? [Re: Loki]
    #2798261 - 06/16/04 07:51 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

COOL, well I hope its got some different traits when linned up beside classic tex.

I will have to get both and experiment.

I want to go to school to be a mycoologist(seriuosly!) :grin: this is one of many reasons.

What WOULD a mycologist say I wonder???

Maybe I will email one from UBC sfu etc :smile:

Thanks Loki and Hanky.

Anyone else want to weigh  in??

--------------------

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: Could it be?? have I birthed(into liquid) a NEW strain???? [Re: Hanky]
    #2798422 - 06/16/04 08:55 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

>" that makes no sense"

That's what I said.

I went out and picked a wild Cube from the East Coast of Florida-have you ever heard of a strain coming from the East coast?,I haven't.So I proceeded to claim that I was going to have a new strain,untill someone set me straight about how this works.

Teonan said"You make NEW strains by bringing monokaryons from two existing STRAINS together to form a third strain that has equal parts of the two other strains. A haploid nuclei from one sytrain comes under the same roof as a haploid nuclei from another strain. If and when these two nuclei fuse together and undergo meiosis, you have recombination of the A factors of the two different strains, and recombination of the B factors of the two strains. YOU NOW HAVE COMBINATIONS OF GENES THAT DID NOT EXIST TOGETHER, BEFORE YOU PUT THEM TOGETHER.

You have a strain from America mating with a Strain from Australia, combining genes from these two different Strains together. THAT IS A NEW STRAIN. IT may or may not be stable.

A strain is a group of individuals homozygous for certain traits. This means in the fungal world, that the mating type factors are different, but other genes are shared. So no two identical monokaryons mate, but the group of disimilar monokaryons share certain traits that make them a population of a STRAIN.

Taking a single Strain(print) and doing all work from that single print is SELECTION. Bringing monokaryons from two different strains together in a controlled way is hybridization, and it leads to NEW strains.

New strains also come about in nature by isolation. A strain is introduced into a new environmnet, and begins inbreeding in that location, over time, it will favor individuals that produce best in that climate(selection) or new alleles may arrise through mutation of existing individuals which can lead to new Strains arrising from the population.

So if you want to breed for potency, you have to isolate the BEST monokaryons from a Strain(selection) and mate them with the best Monokaryons from another strain, and MAYBE the HYBRID Strain will possess the Trait for High potency, and it will have been put into a NEW STRAIN. But even if the trait is in the new strain, you still have to isolate(select) for the best individulas.

In essence you have to work with monokaryons to have any control over the outcome of the dikaryon.

So you are both right and wrong.

If a strain is pure it is homozygous for certain traits, but can still be very heterozygous for lots of other traits. Since we are defining a strain as a population of individuals that share traits, they are homozygous and pure.

All GT will resemble each other coming from a single print. This appearance may change due to environmnetal influence, but the changes will be uniform across the entire population. GT grown on RYE at a certain temp, etc... may look different from GT grown on Millet, but the individuals will look similar to each other on the same substrate in the same environmnet. The heterozygosity means that certain individulas will be permorming better then others, and this is where selection becomes important.

Selection is picking the best individulas in the group for your particular environmnet. Making new strains is a combination of selection and hybridization, or mutation.

And I thought you were leaving this lame site.

the purest strains of pot still show variability, they are just Pure for certain traits, like high potency. But even though they are all higher potency, some will be more potent then others. THERE IS STILL VARIABILITY.

Discounting GT as being something unique from EQ is WRONG. They are different. We just don't know how different they are. They may share one common ancestor, or they may have different ancestors all together.

Lets theorize for a second.

Lets imagine that Lipa Ya is the mother of all cubensis. It would have a common mating type loci with all other cubenis. Only 3/4 of all mating with any other cubensis would work. Only 1/4 of all matings with itself would work. Lets imagine that it had no relation to a few cubenis strains, then 100 % of the matings would be succesful with any of the cubensis it was not related too.

This is what needs to be determined to KNOW how related all the cubensis strains are. We need to perform compatability studies within each Strain, and between each strain. Once we know ancestory then a good breeding strategy can be done. NEW STRAINS of superoir peformance can be Manufactured, and selected for. Manufactured in the sense that you are doing the selections and bringing the monokaryons together.

If you want to be a stickler for EXACTNESS, there is absolutely nothing in the world that is made by man. Even the most synthesized shit on the planet has it's origins in something made by GOD or Nature or whatever creation philosophy you subscribe to. Whe just bring things to gether that would never come together, or alter them in ways they would never be altered. "

Does that help?

--------------------

Edited by doc34 (06/16/04 02:28 PM)

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#2798781 - 06/16/04 11:16 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

doc34 said:

"A strain is a group of individuals homozygous for certain traits. This means in the fungal world, that the mating type factors are different, but other genes are shared. So no two identical monokaryons mate, but the group of disimilar monokaryons share certain traits that make them a population of a STRAIN.

Taking a single Strain(print) and doing all work from that single print is SELECTION. Bringing monokaryons from two different strains together in a controlled way is hybridization, and it leads to NEW strains."

Nobody is claiming that they CREATED a new strain. The mushrooms found in the wild would typically be monokaryons which share certain traits which make up their population. Which is a strain. If these are found in an area where none were previously discovered then, at least to us, a new stain is found.

I don't mean to sound like Clinton, but what is the definition of "new"? Just because a strain was pre-existing in nature doesn't mean it isn't new to us. Isolation from a wild print would just result in better substrains, correct?

The selection has already been done by mother nature herself, probably for quite some time.

So maybe instead of saying, "I found a new strain" we have to say, "I have found a pre-existing strain which was previously undiscovered."

I think "new" is way easier to type, but there's always the sticklers out there who need to tell you you're wrong...oh well.

--------------------

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #2800308 - 06/16/04 07:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Whinnie swchminnie its all gulf coast

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Could it be?? have I birthed(into liquid) a NEW strain???? [Re: OldSpice]
    #2800337 - 06/16/04 07:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

So you guys are saying that every time you find a cube in a different area then the original its different. Wow I better get going, I have 200,000,000 new strains to find.

I think I'm missing your point but had to throw in my 2 cents

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Could it be?? have I birthed(into liquid) a NEW strain???? [Re: Magash]
    #2800422 - 06/16/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah all them cool ass shroom pics from Florida shure do look a lot like what i have been picking on the Tx gulf coast since i was a delinquent :smirk:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder