Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
microwaving water
    #2797958 - 06/16/04 04:17 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I use the microwave to heat water to boiling so I can clean my syringes and make spore water.But,I recently had an accident when I did this.
I took,as usual,and put a glass of water in the microwave and put it on 4 minutes to bring it to a boil.I watched as it just began to boil and then I took it out,but I noticed that it wasn't boiling anymore.I inserted the needle into the water and it erupted into a violent boil and sprayed boiling water all over me and my kitchen counter.I got lucky and didn't get burned,but,I feel people need to know about this before something else happens.

Then I found this.VVV 
Subject: HAZARDS OF BOILING WATER IN A MICROWAVE

I received the following email and thought that this information re microwaves might be of interest to anyone who boils water in a microwave. Our Safety Committee may wish to make personnel aware that pure liquids like water need a nucleation site (a rough surface) for vapour bubbles to start boiling on.

A smooth surface, such as a new ceramic mug or glass, could create the situation described below if used for heating water in a microwave.

Microwaving Water to Heat it Up

I feel that the following is information that any one who uses a microwave oven to heat water should be made aware of. About five days ago my 26-year old son decided to have a cup of instant coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for but he told me he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup he noted that the water was not boiling but instantly the water in the cup "blew up" into his face.

The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand but all the water had flew out into his face due to the buildup of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face which may leave scarring. He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye. While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven. If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc. It is however a much safer choice to boil the water in a tea kettle. Please pass this information on to friends and family.

Taken from here VVV

http://www.nerdherd.com/hoaxes/watchOut/Things/hazardsofBoilingWaterinMicrowave.php

So,Friends of the Cult forum,please be carefull with your Microwaves as they can cause some serious damage.

Just thought you may want to know!

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMESCALATO
hunting.
 User Gallery

Loc: Central Alabama
Re: microwaving water [Re: doc34]
    #2798029 - 06/16/04 05:23 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

damn did not know that, thank you doc.
syringes are the onll thing i use my micro for and i have been wanting to find a way to make syringes without one im just to lazy to search for one right now....plus it is cube season so no need to grow ( much ).

anyways thanks thats great info to pass on man. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinedogfood91
Stranger
    #2798043 - 06/16/04 05:37 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

This is known as super heating water, happens commonly with distilled water, NEVER BOIL DISTILLED WATER, super heated what when made with contact with an object such as a spoon can cause a violent eruption such as this.

InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #2798123 - 06/16/04 06:31 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Good advice, its a common accident, when people reheat coffe, then add a metal spoon, poof, burn front :frown:

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: microwaving water [Re: Loki]
    #2799849 - 06/16/04 04:26 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder