Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineEntheo-G
Stranger
How much "Host Defense Lion's Mane Capsules" should I take for the "Stamets Stack"?
    #27951637 - 09/15/22 04:01 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Hi there,
I'm interested to start a microdosing protocol with the "Stamets Stack": https://thethirdwave.co/microdosing-psilocybin-mushrooms-stamets-stack/

I know how much magic mushroom and Niacin to take, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how much Lion's Mane to take.

Here is the recommended dose of Lion's Mane for the "Stamets Stack":

- Erinacines / Hericenones: 50-200 mg --> The actual substance amount
--OR--
- Lion’s Mane mushroom at 1%: 5-20g --> The estimated dosage when ingesting the raw mushroom, assuming 1% concentration

I bought this product from Host Defense for the Lion's Mane part of the stack: https://hostdefense.com/products/lions-mane-capsules

Here is a picture of the label:

My main question is this: How many capsules of Lion's Mane do I take to get within the range listed above?

If it matters, I'm in my 40's, I weight 200 lb, and I'm 6 foot tall and in great overall health.

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGazza71
Stranger
Re: How much "Host Defense Lion's Mane Capsules" should I take for the "Stamets Stack"? [Re: Entheo-G]
    #27952035 - 09/15/22 08:48 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

saw this in a video - hope it helps

Offlineacca
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: How much "Host Defense Lion's Mane Capsules" should I take for the "Stamets Stack"? [Re: Entheo-G]
    #27952352 - 09/16/22 04:00 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

i've been looking into lion's mane reading user reviews and from what i've gathered, host defense is actually not a good brand - it may used to have been considered good quality back when there were limited options, but not today. apparently it mostly uses mycelluim, instead of the fruiting body where most of the good stuff is. you may wanna consider the brand realmushrooms or any other brand that uses the fruiting body mainly.

Edited by acca (09/17/22 01:24 AM)

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27952780 - 09/16/22 12:23 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

I'm not sure about those capsules, but you might consider buying the bulk powder form and a capsule machine and making your own stack. That's what I do and it works pretty well for me.

OfflineEntheo-G
Stranger
Re: How much "Host Defense Lion's Mane Capsules" should I take for the "Stamets Stack"? [Re: Deadmaker]
    #27954562 - 09/17/22 12:56 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the help everyone! I was also reading the Host Defense is not the best brand for Lion's Mane.

I still don't know how to translate the protocol...

- Erinacines / Hericenones: 50-200 mg  --OR--
- Lion’s Mane mushroom at 1%: 5-20g

...into the capsules that I bought (https://hostdefense.com/products/lions-mane-capsules)

I just decided to take 2 capsules, because that is the recommended dose on the label. Again, I have no idea if what is in those capsules is "Erinacines / Hericenones" or "Lion’s Mane mushroom at 1%"???

I even called the company and spoke to a helpful guy, but he really couldn't answer my question. He basically said it's a ground up mix of mycelium, the substrate, and some fruiting body. So, no idea how to translate that into the protocol ingredients. It shouldn't be this difficult.

If someone knows of a really good brand for Lion's Mane, one that I can easily translate from the protocol, I'm all ears!!

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27954770 - 09/17/22 03:16 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Nutricost Organic Lion's Mane Mushroom Powder 1LB - Certified USDA Organic https://a.co/d/i5YiM74

That’s what I use.

Offlineacca
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27955697 - 09/18/22 08:17 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

here's some more info on dosage

DAYS 1-4: Microdosing days

0.1 to 0.2 grams of dried magic (psilocybin) mushrooms or 0.5 to 1.5 grams of fresh magic truffles

500mg to 1000mg of high-quality Lion’s Mane extract powder (or manufacturer’s recommended dose)

50 –200 mg of niacin Vit B3 ‘Flush’

from https://microdosinginstitute.com/microdosing-101/substances/lions-mane-stacking/ ; so i guess 2 capsules is right.
careful with the niacin btw, some people have had adverse reactions to that much niacin.

When is taking niacin not recommended:

Hypersensitivity to vitamin B3
    Liver diseases
    Ulcerus pepticum (ulcer of stomach and/or   
duodenum)
    Gout
    Alcoholism
    Very low blood pressure
    Decreased kidney function
    Diabetes

OfflineEntheo-G
Stranger
Re: How much "Host Defense Lion's Mane Capsules" should I take for the "Stamets Stack"? [Re: acca]
    #27958544 - 09/20/22 05:43 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

@Deadmaker, thanks for the link to the Lion's Mane that you personally use (Nutricost Organic Lion's Mane Mushroom Powder). I may get that. So, how much of that Lion's Mane powder do you actually take for the "Stamets stack"? I still can't translate what I read online to an actual product.

What confuses the shit out of me is when I look online for the "Stamets Stack" I find 3 main ways for the Lion's Mane part:

- Erinacines / Hericenones: 50-200 mg
- Lion’s Mane mushroom at 1%: 5-20g
- 500mg 1000mg of high-quality Lion’s Mane extract powder

For example, if I get the powder that @Deadmaker recommends (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W8W2PS6) is that "Lion's Mane mushroom @ 1%" (if so, I'd take 5 scoops / 5g). Or, is it "high-quality Lion’s Mane extract", in which case I'd only take 1 scoop / 1 g.

I wish Stamets (or someone) would say exactly how many capsules of Lion's Mane to take for a specific brand.

Thanks again everyone!

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27959572 - 09/20/22 07:33 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

The capsules that I use will hold about 1000 mg. I use 100 mg niacin, 200 mg psilocybin mushrooms, and the rest lion’s mane, so approximately 700 mg. I make a 3 week supply at a time. I’m not sure if there is any degradation of active in capsules, but no reason to take any chances as they are pretty easy to throw together.

I take them 5 days on, two days off.

OfflineEntheo-G
Stranger
Re: How much "Host Defense Lion's Mane Capsules" should I take for the "Stamets Stack"? [Re: Deadmaker]
    #27965673 - 09/24/22 08:29 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Ok, thanks @Deadmaker and everyone else for all the tips on this!

Quick update: I finished my first week of this Stamets Stack (4 days on, 3 days off) this week. I've done the Fadiman protocol many times (200 mg psilocybin mushrooms only, 1 day on 2 days rest, repeat), so it's interesting to compare. The Stamets stack definitely feels more intense... I feel more effect from it.

Invisibleilus
Bred in Captivity
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around the bend.
    #27967937 - 09/25/22 06:05 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Hi, I have very good Lion's Mane tinctures that I make myself if you are interested.  They are purely from fruiting body.  I do not recommend the mycelium based supplements.  I also believe that the tinctures are better because it helps to break down some of the good stuff to be able to make it more absorbable for your body. 

I have Lion's Mane, Reishi, Turkey Tail, Chaga / Shiitake - and a blend of all 5 of them also.  If you are set on powder, send me a message and I can recommend a very good cheap Lion's Mane powder brand on Amazon I found after testing many of them before I started growing and foraging them.  You'd be surprised how many of them are labeled "no fillers" and have cuts in them!

Lion's Mane is the bright red one, turned out really pretty!

--------------------
Message me for Mushroom Tinctures
Lion's Mane, Reishi, Turkey Tail, Chaga, Shiitake / Extracts / CBD Isolate, Oil
----
My Art, Design, Sculpture & Music:  http://www.conceptflow.org

InvisibleHairyPotter
Magician
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: How much "Host Defense Lion's Mane Capsules" should I take for the "Stamets Stack"? [Re: ilus]
    #27975215 - 09/30/22 10:46 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Was listening to Stamets on a podcast and he mentioned making sure when you buy Lion's Mane (or any mushroom powder/capsules) online that they are US GROWN - apparently the ones from China had a lot of lead in them. Also be sure to read it carefully, some say made in the USA or in a made in a US facility but that could mean they buy the powder overseas and just fill the capsules in the US or buy the mushrooms whole and process them into a powder in the US.

Peak Performance brand says GROWN in the USA. I haven't tried them, but that might be a route to go.

The Nutricost powder even has a lead warning on the site:

⚠️This product can expose you to chemicals including lead, which is known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

Obviously the safest bet is to grown them yourself.

Invisibleilus
Bred in Captivity
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around the bend.
Re: How much "Host Defense Lion's Mane Capsules" should I take for the "Stamets Stack"? [Re: HairyPotter]
    #27975924 - 09/30/22 09:56 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Yeah, but the real reason is that he is in a fight with his old partner who left because he didn't believe in mycelium based products and he moved his whole business to China, lol.  China leads lots of innovation in the mushroom industry, but of course there is always a threat of heavy metals so just make sure it's tested for that if you go that route, most legit stuff will be.

--------------------
Message me for Mushroom Tinctures
Lion's Mane, Reishi, Turkey Tail, Chaga, Shiitake / Extracts / CBD Isolate, Oil
----
My Art, Design, Sculpture & Music:  http://www.conceptflow.org

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder