Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblequeenannie
Stranger

Loc: third stoned from the sun
Re: view's on purpose of life &amp;amp; god [Re: Swami]
    #2798817 - 06/16/04 11:27 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The golden rule is "Do unto others..."

And it does work, karmic references aside. It does for me, and I see it work (+ or -) every day. People just don't realize it. It doesn't come as a direct result of the specific action. For instance, if I see someone walking, I give them a ride (unless a warning goes off in my gut, I'm not a martyr), and I have never had to walk very far, myself. Not even one New Year, in the mountains, in 2 foot of snow, no one around for miles, and we got a ride from some local redneck "just out ridin' around and drinkin' beer".

The problem which arises with the non-belief in this rule is the inattention payed to the motive behind your deeds and actions. If you are doing it with the idea or expectation you will receive something in kind as a result, you usually receive bad stuff. This is because you are not doing it out of love and self-lessness, but out of selfishness (if I do this, then I'll get ____ for myself). It's difficult to compute, but essential and undeniable when realized.

As far as stopping robberies, I decline. Now, if I saw someone might be hurt or killed (other than the robber), I think I would probably act without thinking, and if that got me killed it would be something I was aware of all along. I don't think I could standby and watch something like that happen, not do anything at all, and then live with myself.

Doing unto others doesn't really mean going out of your way all the time, or going against your gut. I mean, do you really ever want anyone else to go out of their way or dip into their own limited funds to help you, when you most likely can help yourself? That makes most of us feel worse than the actual calamity we're in the middle of. That's another aspect of the Golden Rule, don't do for someone what you wouldn't want them to do for you. Don't risk the well-being of your loved ones for passing strangers, but you can always use the telephone and call someone who has chosen to get paid to risk their well-being (cops, etc). A helping hand does more than passing a couple of bucks.

Smiling at strangers you pass on the street, holding the door open for old ladies, helping an overloaded young mother pick up the bag of groceries she dropped in the parking lot, not snapping back at the harried convenience store clerk when she snaps at you, not making derisive comments to someone else's display of self-consciousness, etc. That's what I mean. Be kind. And life will be kind to you.

I know I sound like miss mary sunshine, believe me, I'm not. But I can be a bitch and still be kind.

--------------------
Jesus is coming...everyone look busy!

(You may think I'm kidding--but I'm not!)

:shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: view's on purpose of life &amp;amp; god [Re: queenannie]
    #2798839 - 06/16/04 11:38 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Got you, you had me confused there. I agree this is something that should be basic to human nature if at all possible. All of the things you mentioned are important, worthwhile values no less profound for their simplicity, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Invisiblequeenannie
Stranger

Loc: third stoned from the sun
Re: view's on purpose of life &amp;amp; god [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2798873 - 06/16/04 11:48 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you, I'm glad to hear from a non-cynic.

I think the most vital and profound realizations of truth are the simplest, and for that reason most reject them. We've been taught that simple is simple-minded (lynyrd skynyrd liked being a simple man!) and that only complexity is worthwhile. That moronic staple of the American Way is what has everyone so befuddled in the capitalism quagmire to begin with; no time spared for observation, contemplation, and introspection. Too busy paying the piper to pay attention! I'm ready for an upheaval!

--------------------
Jesus is coming...everyone look busy!

(You may think I'm kidding--but I'm not!)

:shrug:

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: view's on purpose of life &amp;amp; god [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2798892 - 06/16/04 11:54 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

the golden rule is a wonderful mechanism... i try to follow it... but , the purpose of life?

MY purpose insofar, has been very american. when i decided i was in love with someone so much i could devote myself to them, i said, "woo, we need a house to cover our heads and have babies in!". so when i got one of those and we had babies i said "woo, we should feed these babies so they dont cry and feel bad!" so now that there a little older i think "woo, we should tell them not to make people feel bad!"

right now my life when i wake up in the morning is spent pondering my children. how i can help them survive, and feel good about survival. when im not around my kids, i often think about paying my bills, growing my garden, making love to my wife, and relaxing or getting worked up, whichever feels right at the moment. i think purpose for people is a lot more undefined than the purpose for a lot of other orginisms. some our a food source with many other variable niceties that help the environment, some cull the vegitation, so it doesnt overgrow, some animals embody certain predatory paths... all sorts of neat stuff that just seems to fit. and ironically, though people dont always look like they fit, upon deeper inspection, they always do. i think its an indivicual purpose for humans, that is often all there own. the word destiny comes to mind, but that seems a little too binding... oh well.

peace and understanding.
Casil

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: view's on purpose of life &amp;amp;amp; god [Re: Todcasil]
    #2799293 - 06/16/04 01:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

of course the golden rule works! Just look at the Tibetens, they were so nice and no one was ever mean.....

oh shit. No....they were murdered, imprisoned, tortured and their land and culture has been misappropriated.

ooops!

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: view's on purpose of life [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2799327 - 06/16/04 01:47 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

purpose of life?

traditional hassidic view :
we are G-d's children and we have to find him and to exalt him.

kind of like Peekaboo all the time and a bit of responsibility thrown in.

you could replace G-d with Nature for Tao-ism style viewpoint

you could replace "exalt him" with the idea of good conduct or noble eightfold path.

===================

my tibetan buddhist teacher used to say the purpose is to transcend oneself (which is like exalting G-d)

===================

my painting teacher said the purpose of "ART" is to raise the human spirit...

I kinda see a pattern in all that.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: view's on purpose of life & god [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2799936 - 06/16/04 05:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The purpose of life is to mirror the Beloved, and become instruments of compassion.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2799937 - 06/16/04 05:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The purpose of life is to mirror the Beloved, and become instruments of compassion.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: view's on purpose of life &amp;amp; god [Re: Swami]
    #2799942 - 06/16/04 05:03 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
#3--The Golden Rule (no shit, it works!)

WTF does that mean, it works? You mean like the guy who tried to stop a robbery and was knifed to death? Like the three times that I stopped to help fellow motorists and each incident cost me from hundreds to thousands of dollars? Like the guy that jumped into the river to save another and got himself drowned? Is that "working"? (Here comes the part about good karma in your next life.)  :rolleyes:

More feel-good nonsense...

Bad things do happen to good people. If someone was drowning, I for one would not stop and think as such a situation would call for complete selfless conduct.

--------------------

Offlineferago2
gnubie
Re: view's on purpose of life &amp;amp; god [Re: queenannie]
    #2800016 - 06/16/04 05:30 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

queenannie said:
And it does work, karmic references aside. It does for me, and I see it work (+ or -) every day. People just don't realize it. It doesn't come as a direct result of the specific action. For instance, if I see someone walking, I give them a ride (unless a warning goes off in my gut, I'm not a martyr), and I have never had to walk very far, myself. Not even one New Year, in the mountains, in 2 foot of snow, no one around for miles, and we got a ride from some local redneck "just out ridin' around and drinkin' beer".

I don't understand. These rednecks knew you gave people rides in the past, so they gave you one? Did they only stop because they knew you were owed some good karma? Or were they willing to stop for anyone, but you were the only one who was there? Or do they have no idea why they stopped, but were somehow compelled to give you a ride by whatever entity controls karma?

Sure, the golden rule works to the extent of "If people know you're an asshole, they won't like you" but you're getting sort of mystical here...

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2800305 - 06/16/04 07:15 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I would say that you would define your own purpose. Just go with the flow of things and just watch out for something positive to go your own way. 

Personally, I think the experience is the whole purpose. Being alive and breathing, appreciating your life and others that are around you.  Being happy!  Love  :heart:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale