Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
My Backyard Kix Ass!
    #2796186 - 06/15/04 09:16 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Last year I found roughly 20 different species of which I could ID about half.

Well, it was a longer time coming but my Yard is at it again. There?s a few returning species as well as some new ones.

This rather large specimen had a few siblings nearby. It looks easy to ID, any takers?

Here?s the gills. Notice the hollow stem and the decurrent gills ala chanterelle, it is definitely not chanterelle as the gills are typical agaric type and not the thick waxy variety.

There were several of these. Thesy start out as globular mushrumps, become drumsticks as pictured here then mature to look like below. This looks fairly easy to ID. It has a bulbous base but no volva, I still suspect it might be some amanita variant.

Here?s a juvenile specimen. I couldn?t wait for a mature shot. Note the gills and the unique pith in the stem. I?m curious about it?s ID.

Here are what I suspect are some form of conocybe (lactea?) growing next to my steps. Notice the verm and perlite, this is runoff from my jar washing site. At first I was excited that this might be an entirely different species.

Here are some random shots from around the yard:

I didn?t have time to pick specimens for in depth analysis and ID attempts. Heck, I was lucky to get these shots off. I didn?t get a chance to photograph the chlorophyllum molybdites and chanterelle (slugs got ?em before they were got much further than primordia) which were first out of the ground.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: My Backyard Kix Ass! [Re: debianlinux]
    #2796280 - 06/15/04 09:48 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

That first one is probably a Clitocybe. Clitocybes mostly require a microscope to ID to species accurately. Many of them are poisonous, containing muscarine.

The second one is an Amanita. The reddish bruising on the stem suggests that it may be one of the group of species near Amanita rubescens. Since there are several poisonous species of Amanita that are *very* similar to that, you should not eat them even though A. rubescens is listed as an edible species.

That next one we need a spore print from. It doesn't look juvenile to me. That unique pith is what's left over after maggots have eaten most of the inside of a mushroom. Try cutting it in half vertically and see if it doesn't try to get away from you.

The ones you suspect of being Conocybe lactea are not that species, although they could be Conocybes. C. lactea has a white (or nearly white) cap, and your specimens are much too brown. A spore print will be needed to even get to genus on those.

The next photo looks like a very nice Amanita button. Then maybe a Russula, another Amanitas and some Clitocybes. The pink guys in the last photo are interesting.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: My Backyard Kix Ass! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2796383 - 06/15/04 10:10 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

ToxicMan said:

The next photo looks like a very nice Amanita button. Then maybe a Russula, another Amanitas and some Clitocybes. The pink guys in the last photo are interesting.

Happy mushrooming!

Thanks for the informative response. I would have liked to have gotten more personal with these but time wouldn't permit. I'm still anticipating bolete appearance.

Concerning the quote; the button is indeed an amanita of the same variety as pictured and discussed above. I had identified the russulas sometime last year. The pink ones were interesting to me as well. They were rather fragile and beginning to deliquesce.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Microscope, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification