Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleYesItsMe
Homeless GOHOME !...
Loc: Working for Piss ;...
DeadlyShrooms ?
    #2791848 - 06/14/04 09:02 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Ok i've got few questions ,
What are exactly the risks of eating a shroom from contamined casing (mold,bacteria...)?
Is it right that shrooms concentrate toxin , or its just a supposition from drunk scientist ?
-and-
Which are commonly these deadly toxin ?

I know , FAQ u !

--------------------
God save the Queen

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: DeadlyShrooms ? [Re: YesItsMe]
    #2791897 - 06/14/04 09:36 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Some of them can kill you, some can make you very ill ... if you ask me its NOT worth it.

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20
Magic Mushroom spores = $12
Growing your own Magic Mushrooms = Priceless

OfflineLoverOfMana
Hmm

#2794351 - 06/15/04 08:36 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I've heard that with most molds it is moreso allergic reactions rather than toxins which are the danger.

--------------------
"Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes." -Abraham Lincoln

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
    #2820202 - 06/23/04 08:19 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I'm curious about this too. I have a 10 inch horse poo cake that is almost totally covered in green mold. Some how this cake keeps kicking shrooms out through the mold. They look great. I have been storing them seperate untill I can find more info on this.

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: DeadlyShrooms ? [Re: cricket]
    #2822991 - 06/24/04 02:03 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I've eaten shrooms from cleaner portions of a contaminated casing. That is as far as I was willing to go, though. I did see that it was contaminated all around the middle when I finally dumped it outside. They were good as always. I would never advocate eating off a contaminated casing, but it has been done.

-J

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2823553 - 06/24/04 08:58 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I was planning to do some research into this area, but got a little lazy. Much of the information out there is on health/toxicity issues related to the CONSUMPTION of the mold itself: Here's a good example in the feed industry:

http://www.dairylandlabs.com/molds_toxins.html

Notice that Penicillium and Aspergillus have species that are on the chart at the bottom. These two genera are well represented in grain and casing contamination. It had always been my thought that the biggest risk from mold is one of allergic reactions. These can be mild or severe, with variable symptoms. The symptoms can get worse over time/exposure as sensitivities develop.
The *toxin* issue is a new one to me, and I think it warrants more thought. . .

1. Do mushrooms remediate these toxins, so that a shroom from a contaminated casing is fine? Are the toxins only a risk if you eat the mold itself?
2. Is there a toxin exposure risk through spore inhalation?

One key thing to remember is that the potential exposure in this hobby is much greater than most folks who deal with a bit of moldy cheese or bread. Especially if you're trying to CPR a few more fruits from a green casing.

I still think that if the degree of mold contamination is low the risk is also low. Most of the things I've read about fruitbodies concentrating toxins was talking about heavy metals.
Mush more research needs to be done [heh, funny typo]. Be careful around contaminants. . .dispose of with care. Most often it's best to remove them from the premises before cross-contamination occurs anyway.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag