Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecom
Alchemist

Omnipresent Cobweb Mold
    #2788333 - 06/12/04 05:07 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I am now convinced jiffy mix is tainted beyond repair. Even after PCing a 1/2 gallon of moistened jiffy mix for 1:20 @ 15psi, my first case had 2 spots within 2" of eachother on the far corner of the pan spring up with a 1" devils hair growth. These showed up just recently (within the last 12 hours) after ~48 hours of incubation at 85(F). h2o2 was applied and we'll see how long it takes for the mycelium to dominate. My question is, is this contam as present on other casing materials? Where the hell is it coming from, and my only guess is that since i didnt soak, boil, then pc the jiffy mix, it's endospore survived... blah! It's eating my oysterz!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Omnipresent Cobweb Mold [Re: com]
    #2794325 - 06/15/04 08:30 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

It contammed because you pc'd it.
You're not supposed to sterilize casing material.
Bacteria are required in a casing for good pin formation.
If the casing soil is 'alive' it will be harder for cobweb to get a foothold.
Cobweb is also favored by lack of air exchange. Keep air moving in your grow area.

To pasteurize jiffy mix, or peat, or compost, simply moisturize it to the proper level, where a handfull won't drip unless you give it a good squeeze. Load into quart jars and place in a large pot such as the PC. Fill with COLD water to 3/4 of the way up the jars. Turn on the stove and bring to a boil. As soon as the pot boils, turn off the stove, cover and allow to cool. After an hour, the jars can be removed. When cool, use.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix