Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Homeless GOHOME !...

Registered: 10/29/03
Posts: 253
Loc: Working for Piss ;...
DeadlyShrooms ?
    #2791848 - 06/14/04 11:02 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Ok i've got few questions ,
What are exactly the risks of eating a shroom from contamined casing (mold,bacteria...)?
Is it right that shrooms concentrate toxin , or its just a supposition from drunk scientist ?
Which are commonly these deadly toxin ?

I know , FAQ u !

God save the Queen

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Raoul Duke

Registered: 04/14/04
Posts: 1,342
Loc: Amsterdam
Re: DeadlyShrooms ? [Re: YesItsMe]
    #2791897 - 06/14/04 11:36 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Some of them can kill you, some can make you very ill ... if you ask me its NOT worth it.

Substrate + jars = $20
Magic Mushroom spores = $12
Growing your own Magic Mushrooms = Priceless

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Registered: 03/31/04
Posts: 109
Last seen: 11 years, 8 months
Re: DeadlyShrooms ? [Re: YesItsMe]
    #2794351 - 06/15/04 10:36 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I've heard that with most molds it is moreso allergic reactions rather than toxins which are the danger.

"Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes." -Abraham Lincoln

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Registered: 08/29/03
Posts: 910
Loc: in my house, in front of ...
Re: DeadlyShrooms ? [Re: YesItsMe]
    #2820202 - 06/23/04 10:19 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm curious about this too. I have a 10 inch horse poo cake that is almost totally covered in green mold. Some how this cake keeps kicking shrooms out through the mold. They look great. I have been storing them seperate untill I can find more info on this.

I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Registered: 04/25/03
Posts: 430
Loc: Shakedown Street
Last seen: 7 months, 10 days
Re: DeadlyShrooms ? [Re: cricket]
    #2822991 - 06/24/04 04:03 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I've eaten shrooms from cleaner portions of a contaminated casing. That is as far as I was willing to go, though. I did see that it was contaminated all around the middle when I finally dumped it outside. They were good as always. I would never advocate eating off a contaminated casing, but it has been done.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Registered: 10/15/99
Posts: 1,394
Last seen: 3 days, 5 hours
Re: DeadlyShrooms ? [Re: YesItsMe]
    #2823553 - 06/24/04 10:58 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I was planning to do some research into this area, but got a little lazy. Much of the information out there is on health/toxicity issues related to the CONSUMPTION of the mold itself: Here's a good example in the feed industry:


Notice that Penicillium and Aspergillus have species that are on the chart at the bottom. These two genera are well represented in grain and casing contamination. It had always been my thought that the biggest risk from mold is one of allergic reactions. These can be mild or severe, with variable symptoms. The symptoms can get worse over time/exposure as sensitivities develop.
The *toxin* issue is a new one to me, and I think it warrants more thought. . .

1. Do mushrooms remediate these toxins, so that a shroom from a contaminated casing is fine? Are the toxins only a risk if you eat the mold itself?
2. Is there a toxin exposure risk through spore inhalation?

One key thing to remember is that the potential exposure in this hobby is much greater than most folks who deal with a bit of moldy cheese or bread. Especially if you're trying to CPR a few more fruits from a green casing.

I still think that if the degree of mold contamination is low the risk is also low. Most of the things I've read about fruitbodies concentrating toxins was talking about heavy metals.
Mush more research needs to be done [heh, funny typo]. Be careful around contaminants. . .dispose of with care. Most often it's best to remove them from the premises before cross-contamination occurs anyway.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Allergic reaction aurasofazure 994 8 04/05/05 06:54 AM
by Zen Peddler
* i'm allergic to penicillin will that be a problem with shrooms? xoppx 3,069 8 11/03/09 11:43 AM
by Smawrpg
* toxins absorbed? Matchbox420 982 2 07/14/01 05:26 AM
by nononsense
* Black molds & toxins Arp 471 0 05/19/05 06:24 PM
by Arp
* Foodborne Pathogenic Microorganisms&Natural Toxins MAIA 530 2 03/18/02 02:00 PM
* Seeking the straight dope on Bacillus dangers carrotjuice 1,930 1 11/28/04 11:25 AM
by Suntzu
* Kill You? Cloud_Man 1,236 16 11/06/05 05:53 PM
by ShroominFL
* Toxic Poisoning (?) STP Former Daydream Believers smarfy 1,458 14 04/08/04 10:33 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Pastywhyte
819 topic views. 1 members, 8 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 14 queries.