Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesja1112
Stranger
Loc: St. Peters Missour -usa-
ID+do you think i stumbled on someone else's mushrooms?
    #2790128 - 06/13/04 05:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I posted this awhile ago along with poison ivy thing. I never got any anwsers to this part

While I was out I found this patch of mushrooms growing around a tree. A few feet away is a decent sized log (10 feet) covered with more of the same mushroom growing. A few feet from that is a huge dead tree, also covered in these mushrooms. I've been watching these babies often. Every once in a while I'll go back and one or two of three patches will be gone. When ever the patch is gone, most of the stems are there. I guess something natural could be happening..I've also found an empty bag of humus next in this little area. Does this sound like someone is growing them? I can't imagine that that many mushrooms would just disappear. I don't plan on taking any of these, so don't worry. I did take one cap in order to make a spore print though. This is the third flush I've seen grow now. Here is a description of the average mushroom there.

Cap-4-6 cm, convex,Umbonate, moist/sticky, can be scaly with aging, smells a bit like almond

Gills- are a a good distance apart, grey-black

stalk-central, 6-10 cm tall, 1 or 2 cm thick, bulb at base, Fibrous, white, fairly soft

Veil-universal when young, mushroom tip is gold with veil. No piece of the veil is left though.

spore print-black

Habitat-Decaying hardwoods, like i said before, one patch grows around a tree's trunk, one grows on a log, one grows on a dead tree. There are about 50-75 in each patch

Thanks to anyone who can answer. I can get pictures if you'd like.

Since I posted that I have seen the dead tree(fallen over) sprout a huge flush(on a hot day, about 24 hours after rain) They were pretty mature then. With the almost flat cap. These all spread in a much larger area than usual. Parts of the tree have been broken to get to new spots on the ground where spores must have reached a while back. Also, there are some pinning out of the dead stuff around the live tree. Like I said, I can get pictures.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinethearmedforces
Disco Shroomerat 4:20

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: ID+do you think i stumbled on someone else's mushrooms? [Re: sja1112]
    #2790824 - 06/13/04 10:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like some sort od Panaeolus; I couldn't say which species. Try taking a picture. If they are growing in the wild, they are no one's mushroom.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: ID+do you think i stumbled on someone else's mushrooms? [Re: thearmedforces]
    #2790889 - 06/13/04 10:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Pans wouldn't be growing on wood. maybe coprinus but some of your description doesn't quite match up with any of them I know either. Whatever they are, they aren't active, but a pic would help if you want an ID.

DH

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification