Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Compassion [Re: Positronius]
    #2791102 - 06/13/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

in time young grasshopper.. in time.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Compassion [Re: Shroomism]
    #2791169 - 06/13/04 10:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

question for joo:

you really need to brush up on your english comprehension skills, because I dont have the time or patience to reiterate a point thats allready been made.

never said anything about compassion being a bad thing, just commenting on the how preaching about it hasnt had much effect.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2791182 - 06/13/04 10:24 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

because preaching is boring and actions speak louder than words

not to mention this whole "government, military, industrial complex" hasn't helped much either...

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2791235 - 06/13/04 10:34 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

You don't know me from the wind
you never will, you never did
I'm the little jew
who wrote the Bible
I've seen the nations rise and fall
I've heard their stories, heard them all
but love's the only engine of survival
Your servant here, he has been told
to say it clear, to say it cold:
It's over, it ain't going
any further
And now the wheels of heaven stop
you feel the devil's riding crop
Get ready for the future:
it is murder

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Compassion [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2791716 - 06/14/04 06:15 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

preaching is pointless except in politics

I find something and point it out.
if someone notices they might like it.

can't keep it for myself. it's already there for everybody.

no preaching, no silly (or scary) predictions, no hokus pokus.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Compassion [Re: Kttail]
    #2791733 - 06/14/04 06:46 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Kttail, and I don't mean to sound 'glib' or 'cavalier' but, I felt good to begin with (I usually move about in a positive state of affect) until my selfish ego intervened ("Damn!") because 'i' just wanted to chill...but my higher Self re-established itself almost immediately, and I returned to my usual affable Self throughout the job. 'i' was irritated by my co-worker, Mark, who was babysitting his two little kids and allowed them to get all over the work site during the movement of heavy lumber, hatchet, sledge hammer and chisel, etc., so I wasn't very 'sweet' with the children. HOWEVER... this is still a good illustration of the infrastructure of Compassion, which, like the theological definition of 'Love,' is more about the Will, than about one's 'feelings.' My "Good Will,' or Compassion was in place, but emotions, like clouds, came and went to momentarily veil its warm radiance. Compassion can come in the form of repeated slaps to the face....if it means keeping someone from lapsing into an O.D. coma! Thanks again for the appreciation, but please hold the applause  :smile:

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #2791758 - 06/14/04 07:35 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Positronius said:
if compassion is truly the best vehicle for humanity, which is what we have been telling, nay COMMANDING ourselves for the past few millenia, why hasnt it truly caught on?

Perhaps it's you who need to brush up your communication skills. In this quote you question compassion not the preaching of compassion. Next you refer to it as a dead horse. The title of the thread itself is "Compassion" not "The Preaching of Compassion". So you really do value compassion? Ok, your other posts on this message board don't indicate that, but hey whatever you say. If you're going to make your points in an ambiguous way then at least have the civility to clarify yourself without name calling.

Edited by question_for_joo (06/14/04 02:02 PM)

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Compassion [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2792918 - 06/14/04 04:22 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

kaiowas:
did or did not the christians enslave the destroyed natives, changed their ideas and beliefs, and took the land that wasn't even theirs to begin with? was that very christ like? so the teachings on a grand scale never fully went through.

Sounds like you understand pos's point perfectly well.. the compassionate teachings, on a grand scale, never went through. Will they ever or is it perhaps time for a new horse, or perhaps some other equally-satisfying to beat while dead pack animal?

Markos: Nice post, but you don't exactly confront the issue of whether or not compassionate action on the part of the masses is possible.. whether humanity can be motivated to change their lot through compassion, which is the point pos is trying to tackle here.

Question for joo: your work is done here, move along.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Compassion [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2793089 - 06/14/04 05:34 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"Question for joo: your work is done here, move along."

:smirk:  you make me smile

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Compassion [Re: CleverName]
    #2793398 - 06/14/04 10:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Actually, that was a paraphrased sclorchism.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#2794135 - 06/15/04 06:46 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Let me re-word it: No..."humanity" has not been, and is not being motivated 'en masse' to become Compassion-centered human beings. Generally speaking, anything is possible , but I'll not presume to predict or prophesy. This hope remains relegated to an ideal, a mythos. The actuality of life is that relatively fewer individuals are motivated to transcend their centauric natures. The Hindus say this is so because we are in the Kali Yuga - a period of darkness. Humanity [mythologically, I believe] was once in a Satya Yuga - a cycle of purity wherein people were enlightened in their treatment of each others, animals and the Earth.

The Jehova's Witnesses say that the 144,000 saved humans are already in Heaven, and that Heaven has closed its gates (in 1938 A.D. to be precise), and therefore, newly saved human beings will have to await Resurrection day to return to 'a new Heaven and a new Earth' - ON Earth, not in a metaphysical Heaven. Fine...until the sun goes supernova at some point.

I don't believe it's all about a historico-political situation on Earth. This was the Messianic expectation of the Jews prior to, during and following the arrival of Jesus. The spiritual, indeed Gnostic vision of Christianity goes alongside of the Orthodox notion that 'GOD became human that humans may become GOD.' Hellenistic spirituality is perhaps the most spiritualized in recognizably mainstream Christianity. Many Greek Orthodox burn their dead and keep the ashes at home rather than bury them. Similar to Indian cremation in the disregard for physical remains. In Orthodox Christianity, the Resurrection of the dead is not necessarily held to be some kind of reanimation from the grave. Funery customs are a reflection of complete belief systems. At any rate, if this theme of wholesale transmutation of humanity interests you, read the sci-fi book 'Childhood's End,' which I think is by Arthur C. Clark. Peace.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2794234 - 06/15/04 07:57 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Actually, that was a paraphrased sclorchism.
hmm mmm aren't we all?

Markos: So, you agree with positronius's original point.. why'd you have to be so difficult and throw around so many big words when you weren't contesting his point in the first place? I could have been doing great things with all that wasted time..

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Compassion [Re: redgreenvines] [Re: Positronius]
    #2794710 - 06/15/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

That wasn't preaching it was a line from a Leonard Cohen song in reference to compassion.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Compassion [Re: redgreenvines] [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2794914 - 06/15/04 11:53 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

oh leonard,
he seems to be coming along.
what a lot of baggage!

I was just reacting.
the topic is good.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
    #2795738 - 06/15/04 04:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

the mongrol cat came home.......

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#2799087 - 06/16/04 12:45 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Um...jeepers Mixamatosis...is argument the only type of response that is possible here? I mean, what about agreement, or elaboration, or clarification, or sharing a similar idea? I'm looking at my post, and trying to find "big words." Do you mean multisyllabic words, or is that another "big word?" I still use a dictionary when I don't know exactly how to spell a word, or want to be certain that I'm using a word correctly. Why don't you keep one by your own computer instead to telling all of us that your vocabulary is limited. As to time - if this Shroomery were not a 'past-time, ' a hobby of sorts, then I wouldn't be here. Is a hobby a waste of time? I find it to be creative and hence recreational.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2799589 - 06/16/04 03:01 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

woah sorry don't flip out on me here.. My belief system is extremely fragile and I'm close to the edge.. I'm like one of those eggs teenagers carry around to simulate careing for a baby

but seriously, king solomon's great grandfather may have been part of an obscure cult who's name in ancient hebrew means "crusher of infidels" which is a reference to john 4:45 who's mother was isis but.. come on.. is that really useful information? And by useful I mean useful like the jagged fragment of a ox's jaw in paleolithic warfare useful

I mean I don't know about YOU, but.. nevermind.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#2801689 - 06/17/04 08:01 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Perhaps your reading comprehension has led you to this exaggerated embellishment - but, forsooth, is this not dedundant? If so, then feel free to report me to the Department of Redundancy Department. But seriously now, if you're actually gonna read my posts, you really must understand what I'm saying before you comment on it. If it has not been clear to you, and you're interested, then simply ask for re-wording. What is the value of ridicule? It reflects much more negatively on the one doing the ridiculing, than on the one ridiculed.

I do write on esoteric matters - 'eso' (inner) as opposed to 'exo'[teric] (outer). If your values were built upon certain religious traditions, and you discovered that you had built those life values on a false image, without ever having known or understood the origins of your world-view, and THEN you SAW that you had been duped and hypnotized, and were Awakening from a cultural trance...then you too would understand the importance of some of these mysterious associations. Your faith would strengthen; the dissonance between faith and reason would lessen; large fuzzy areas of belief would sharpen - you would become MORE CONSCIOUS.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2801718 - 06/17/04 08:13 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

compassion is transmission of healing "energy" or pattern,
an attitude free of ego.
sticky issues can fall away

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #2801967 - 06/17/04 10:07 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Markos,

I really enjoyed your posts on this thread...thanks! In my opinion, there really is no better feeling than helping others in need. As you said, it is its own reward.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder