Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years
    #27889885 - 08/04/22 02:34 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years
August 4, 2022 - Associated Press

KHIMKI, Russia (AP) — U.S. basketball star Brittney Griner was convicted Thursday in Russia of drug possession and smuggling and was sentenced to nine years behind bars in a politically charged case that could lead to a high-stakes prisoner exchange between Washington and Moscow.

The 31-year-old Griner, a two-time U.S. Olympic champion and a eight-time all-star with the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury, listened with a blank expression as an interpreter translated the verdict by Judge Anna Sotnikova, but her lawyers said later she was “very upset.” Griner also was fined 1 million rubles (about $16,700).

U.S. President Joe Biden denounced as “unacceptable” the verdict and sentence, which came amid soaring tensions between the U.S. and Russia over Ukraine.

“I call on Russia to release her immediately so she can be with her wife, loved ones, friends, and teammates,” Biden said, adding that he would continue to work to bring home Griner and Paul Whelan, an American imprisoned in Russia on an espionage conviction.

Outside court, the U.S. Embassy’s charge d’affaires Elizabeth Rood called the outcome “a miscarriage of justice.”

Griner, recognized as one of the greatest players in WNBA history, has been detained since Feb. 17 after police said they found vape cartridges containing cannabis oil in her luggage upon landing at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport. She was returning to Russia, where she has competed since 2014.

As she was led out of court, Griner said: “I love my family.”

The nine-year sentence was close to the maximum of 10 years that Griner had faced under the charges. Most Russians possessing small quantities of drugs get at most five years in prison, lawyers said.

Defense attorney Maria Blagovolina told reporters later that Griner was “very upset, very stressed. She can hardly talk. It’s a difficult time for her.”

Before the unusually swift verdict was reached, an emotional Griner apologized to her family, teammates and the Russian city of Yekaterinburg, where she plays in the WNBA offseason, “for my mistake that I made and the embarrassment that I brought on them.”

With her voice cracking, she added: “I hope in your ruling it does not end my life.”

Griner has 10 days to appeal, and her lawyers say they expect a hearing in Moscow regional court next week. Asked if Griner could ask for pardon from President Vladimir Putin, Blagovolina said they would consider every possibility, but the lawyers said they were not part of any discussions about a prisoner swap.

Griner’s agent Lindsay Kagawa Colas said the sentence “was severe by Russian legal standards and goes to prove what we have known all along, that Brittney is being used as a political pawn.” She added that she supported Biden’s efforts “to get a deal done.”

A conviction is usually needed before arranging a prisoner exchange and also allows Griner to apply for a pardon. Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said last month the “necessary judicial procedures” must be completed before other steps can be taken.

The disclosure in July that the U.S. government was seeking a prisoner swap involving Griner reflected the growing pressure on the Biden administration to do more to bring her home. The U.S. State Department had earlier declared Griner to be “wrongfully detained” — a charge that Russia has sharply rejected.

When she took the stand July 7, Griner said: “I would like to plead guilty on the charges against me. But I had no intention of breaking any Russian law.” She added that she brought the vape canisters into Russia because she had packed in haste for her flight.

Griner also described a confusing scene while being held at the airport, saying an interpreter provided by authorities translated only a fraction of what was being said to her and that officials told her to sign documents without explaining what they were. She also said she was not informed of her rights.

Her lawyers introduced evidence that Griner was using the medicinal cannabis for chronic pain and injuries sustained during her career and included a letter from her doctor. Griner testified she was aware cannabis oil was outlawed in Russia and had not intended to break the law or “plan to smuggle anything into Russia.”

Griner’s case and her nearly six months behind bars have raised strong criticism among her supporters in the United States, including her wife, Cherelle, that Biden was not doing enough to win her freedom.

Griner sent a personal appeal to Biden, and more than 1,100 Black female leaders urged the administration to “make a deal to get Brittney back home swiftly and safely and to meet with Brittney’s wife Cherelle immediately.” Biden later called Cherelle Griner “to reassure her that he is working to secure Brittney’s release as soon as possible,” the White House said July 6.

Cherelle Griner, who also spoke with Vice President Kamala Harris, later said she was “grateful to the both of them for the time they spent with me and for the commitment they expressed to getting BG home,” using her wife’s initials.

On July 27, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Washington has offered a deal to Russia aimed at bringing home Griner and Whelan in a sharp reversal of previous policy. Details of the proposal were not announced, though a person familiar with the matter said the U.S. has offered to trade convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout for Whelan and Griner. The person insisted on anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

Russian media have speculated repeatedly that Griner could be swapped for Bout, nicknamed “the Merchant of Death,” who is serving a 25-year sentence in the U.S. after being convicted of conspiracy to kill U.S. citizens and providing aid to a terrorist organization. Russia has agitated for Bout’s release for years.

The severity of Griner’s sentence could give Russia leverage in a swap by increasing pressure on Washington to negotiate her release.

“I think that the harsher the sentence, the more pressure there will be on the Biden administration to make a deal, and obviously they like leveraging that pressure,” Tom Firestone, a lawyer who formerly served as the resident legal adviser at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, said of the Russians before the sentence was imposed.

Even with U.S.-Russia relations at a low point, the two countries managed to arrange a swap in April of Trevor Reed, a former U.S. Marine detained in Russia, for Konstantin Yaroshenko, a Russian pilot and convicted drug trafficker serving a 20-year prison sentence in Connecticut.

Griner’s detention was made public only after Russian troops moved into Ukraine, as relations between Russia and the United States hit new lows after Washington led the West in bringing sanctions against Moscow.

Her plight has been highlighted by supporters at home, including top athletes, especially after little news emerged about her initial weeks of detention in Russia, where she had limited access to U.S. diplomats. It was only in May that the State Department designated her as wrongfully detained, moving her case under its Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs, effectively the government’s chief hostage negotiator.

At the ESPY Awards last month, soccer star Megan Rapinoe referred to Griner as “a political prisoner,” and tennis great Billie Jean King said, “First, bring BG home. Gotta do that.”

NBA Finals MVP Stephan Curry wore Griner’s jersey under his track suit at the awards show and urged “the entire global sports community to continue to stay energized on her behalf..”

Griner, a 6-foot-9 center, has 12 of the 15 regular season dunks in WNBA history and set the single-year record for blocks with 129 in 2014. She led the league in scoring twice. She was a two-time Associated Press college basketball player of the year and led Baylor to a 40-0 season and the 2012 NCAA title. She was the No. 1 pick by Phoenix in the 2013 draft.

The commissioners of the WNBA and NBA called the verdict “unjustified and unfortunate, but not unexpected. ... It is our hope that we are near the end of this process of finally bringing BG home.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

Re: Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years [Re: veggie]
    #27890591 - 08/05/22 01:39 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

A trade for the merchant of death for an WNBA player and a ex-marine.

Why was the ex-marine so idiotic?  Like trading Mahomes for a Geno Smith.  Putin henchmen said, we want this spy instead for murder and other things this Russian did.

America, Sunglasses on, NO GO!  Is so stupid.  But we all want her back and him as well.  Still haven't got the full story on him, just the WNBA player and this Russian sold illegal arms to people in Africa and boy soldiers and such.

USA!  Get her back in the league!  Have no idea what time served, I think we all get that as it ws 6 months but, the I had no clue I just packed it in their without knowing that shit doesn't even work in the U.S. with coke /heroin/meth though they just use the Big Grey Dog. 

Just how stupid does one have to be?  I don't want to be a political pawn and people in the world dont' want that arms dealer trading illegal arms in Africa and all the other connections he has.  But we will do so for this spy you have.  Why is that?  A bit more valuable? 

THERE IS NO WAY!  Sayeth some underling.  But in the court of public opionion free her to go back to her family and his sentence a lot less though they don't mention much of anything on the news about him for some reason, just, ex-marine. 

Blah.  Do your 9 years with time served in the penal colony and him his last 6 is it?  Let the other spy and arms dealer stay locked up here in the States.  One cannot be the endall be all as President of the U.S. 

Nor like the Shroomery an echo chamber of mostly people that don't know shit about much of anything. 

Doubt this blockbuster trade will be made.  Sorry WNBA but even as traveling sports fans one learns in the States where to not bring any form of marijuana.  IT IS NOT FAIR!

Who said life ever was meant to be?  God I learned that so early on in life the hard way like she most likely will.  You learn to sit and have patience.  What if's become a memory and it is just, you.

Invisibleellomello
XP
 User Gallery

Loc: babilonUSA
Re: Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years [Re: Barnaby]
    #27891597 - 08/05/22 06:20 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

that sucks n all, i hate to see anyone get punished for something as harmless and pure as cannabis,
but where is my news story, where is prsidential support for the 100,000s locked up in this country?!

i'd get locked up for life if i tried walking threw airport with 2oz of hash oil.
and there wouldn't be any national support for me, nobody would give a f...
just look at our local state laws which are probably worse than Russias:
"First-time possession of personal amounts is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in prison, a fine of up to $6000, and a mandatory six months driver's license suspension. Repeat offenses and possession with intent to sell are felonies.
Possession in the First Degree, § 13A-12-213, is charged for non-"personal use" (i.e. intent to sell) and second and subsequent "personal use" offenses. This charge is a Class C felony punishable with imprisonment of 1-to-10 years (there is a mandatory minimum of 1-year-and-1-day to serve which cannot be suspended by the judge) and $15,000 fine.[25]
Sale of any amount is a Class B felony punishable with a 2- to 20-year sentence (with the 2 years being a mandatory minimum) and maximum $30,000 fine. Sale to a minor is punishable by a sentence of 10 years to life imprisonment and a maximum fine of $60,000.

--------------------
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN get back to the garden

some came singing, some come to play, some come for keeping the dark away

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years [Re: ellomello] * 1
    #27891625 - 08/05/22 06:39 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Now we’re trying to trade an unknown basketball player from the WNBA for a Russian arms dealer.. I’m starting to associate blue with unlimited absurdity because it’s always some padded room absurdity.  Every time..

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years [Re: Amanita86]
    #27891760 - 08/05/22 08:04 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

Re: Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years [Re: durian_2008]
    #27974844 - 09/30/22 01:28 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Made me laugh.  They asked her old coach that now coaches LSU I just saw earlier on a sports cast when she coached her at Baylor and was basically, I don't give a shit, ask me about my team and cut him off right there.

That was cool of her.  Not that I care about womens sports just it made me laugh.  I WILL CONTACT BIDEN AND WE WILL BOTH WORK TOGETHER TO GET HER BACK HERE. 

Really how stupid does one have to be?  Massive international arms dealer for her.  Yeah, no.

InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

Re: Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years [Re: veggie]
    #27988000 - 10/08/22 11:02 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Prison camp? Really?  I don't get why they play it up in the media like she is not of value to Putin and he is not aware of here at all. 

WW2  Stalin.  I don't care how many of you die, 300,000 get mobilized.  Ukraine and Nato, they are cannon fodder, Stalin, I don't care how many of the red army die, modern day Putin, mobilize and frame it a different way. 

God, a lot of young recruits are breaking their arms on purpose to not go fight and Alaska.  This is NATO, and U.S. weapons and allies.  Not Ukraine.  I get it.

Anyway this nation can get built up before Russia and China and India start nuking?  Or does that matter anyway?

OfflineDonJuan7
Stranger
Re: Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years [Re: Barnaby] * 2
    #27990587 - 10/09/22 04:57 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

The unDemocratic war criminal party doesn't care, they have wars to foment, trillions to spend on subsidizing torture and murder of billions of animals every year in the US alone - www.animalclock.org

The USA cant even reform itself enough to legalize marijuana because the state oppression and the drug war is a critical tool of capitalist oppression of humans, and nature.

InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

Re: Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years [Re: DonJuan7]
    #27994537 - 10/11/22 11:14 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Yes.  But still Guatamala is worse than Martha and her vineyard.  SO THEY SAY!

A plant needs Congressional approval.  Way it works.  It sucks.  I care more about nukes and wars and global flooding and fires and the destruction of this planet.

Common sense.  Yet I post this to my newspaper in Utah, USA, land of freedom and the mods block it from articles like this. 

Is just stupid what those in power and those that support them and are OK with is so dumb to me.  Enjoy the new Scooby Doo series on HBO MAX.  So glad I paid for it, the Mindy Project.  Make her look like me, I shall take on this role!

Point being people that actually have control and influence in this world know what they are doing and it is going smoothly.  While media focus is on, she is a India lesbian and their will be be no Scooby and the stoner is now black and the white a dumb imbicile and the beautiful ginger white woman is now Asian and release it on money I payed for to HBO.  Fuck them.  And yes, Scooby is missing, the lost dog.

Focus on that and not about entering WW3.  Crimea bridge being blown up.  Cruise missiles, 300 of them being shot into power stations and just the general populace.  Ukraine leader give us more and the military industrial complex goes on but I PAY MY TAXES!  Good for you while this nation goes to shit.

Eye off the ball.  War has just begun.  Wait until China and Taiwan. 

BUT WHY DID THEY MAKE HER A LESBIAN AND NOT SCOOBY?  Lol.  God/life.  Scorched Earth.

Offlinesir_spins_alot
Feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years [Re: Barnaby]
    #28001895 - 10/16/22 02:56 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

unlawfully detained the media says.  Really?  She plead guilty to bringing drugs into Russia.  How stupid can someone be.  Will Biden be releasing all the prisoners in the states for marijuana conviction?  Of course not its all political bullshit. 

I get your free to take a knee during the anthem and I agree with that freedom, I don't agree with disrespecting the brave men and women who fought for that right.  Now shes in a real oppressive country and she wants the U.S. to bend over backwards to get her home?  Such a joke.  If she was a straight white guy we would never know he even got arrested.

--------------------

InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

Re: Brittney Griner convicted at Russian drug trial, sentenced to 9 years [Re: sir_spins_alot]
    #28003002 - 10/17/22 11:25 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Yeah.  Hard enough to travel in the States and Russia, especially playing their quite a bit in the offseason would think she would know.

Maybe she had never been arrested before or just small things in the U.S.  Would think a teammate, agent, someone would of told her to be careful. 

I had my hard lesson in the U.S. with lsd but that is nothing compared to what I read about what she is going through there.  And yeah it is bad here but nothing to forced labor, the food, the lack of humanity that even the U.S. comes nowhere close to, but everywhere is the United States. 

Hard lesson.  Hope she survives it.  Our prayers go out to you and good vibes!:goodluck:  I don't wish that misery on anyone.  Oh wait this is Russia.

InvisibleveggieM

#28016697 - 10/25/22 08:08 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Update ...

Russian court rejects Griner appeal of her 9-year sentence
October 25, 2022 - Associated Press

MOSCOW (AP) — A Russian court on Tuesday rejected an appeal by U.S. basketball star Brittney Griner of her nine-year prison sentence for drug possession, a step that could move her closer to a possible high-stakes prisoner swap between Moscow and Washington.

The eight-time all-star center with the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury and a two-time Olympic gold medalist was convicted Aug. 4 after police said they found vape canisters containing cannabis oil in her luggage at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport.

Griner, 32, was not at the Moscow Regional Court hearing but appeared via video link from a penal colony outside the capital where she is held.

At her trial, Griner admitted to having the canisters in her luggage but testified she packed them inadvertently in her haste to make her flight and had no criminal intent. Her defense team presented written statements saying she had been prescribed cannabis to treat chronic pain.

The nine-year sentence was close to the maximum of 10 years, and Griner’s lawyers argued after the conviction that the punishment was excessive. They said in similar cases defendants have received an average sentence of about five years, with about a third of them granted parole.

While upholding the sentence, the court said Griner’s prison time will be recalculated to reflect what she has already served in pre-trial detention. One day in pre-trial detention will be counted as 1 1/2 days in prison, so she still will have to serve about eight years in prison.

Griner’s lawyers Maria Blagovolina and Alexander Boykov said in an email that they were “very disappointed” with the decision because they still believe “the punishment is excessive and contradicts to the existing court practice.”

“Britthey’s biggest fear is that she is not exchanged and will have to serve the whole sentence in Russia,” they said. “She had hopes for today, as each month, each day away from her family and friends matters to her.”

They said they had to discuss with Griner what legal steps they should take next.

Griner’s arrest in February came at a time of heightened tensions between Moscow and Washington, just days before Russia sent troops into Ukraine. At the time, Griner was returning to play for a Russian team during the WNBA’s offseason.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken called the decision “another failure of justice, compounding the injustice of her detention,” adding that “securing her release is our priority.”

President Joe Biden told reporters that his administration is in “constant contract” with Russian authorities on Griner and other Americans who are detained there. While there has not been progress on bringing her back to the U.S., Biden said, “We’re not stopping.”

Before her conviction, the U.S. State Department declared Griner to be “wrongfully detained” — a charge that Russia has sharply rejected.

U.S. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan said in a statement that Biden “is willing to go to extraordinary lengths and make tough decisions to bring Americans home.”

WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert said the decision “while unfortunate, was not unexpected. ... It is time to bring this case to an end and bring BG home.” The WNBA Players Association said the ruling was “further verification that BG is not just wrongfully detained -– she is very clearly a hostage.”

Because of the growing pressure on the Biden administration to do more to bring Griner home, Blinken took the unusual step of revealing in July that Washington had made a “substantial proposal” to get Griner home, along with Paul Whelan, an American serving a 16-year sentence in Russia for espionage.

Blinken didn’t elaborate, but The Associated Press and other news organizations have reported that Washington has offered to exchange Griner and Whelan for Viktor Bout, a Russian arms dealer who is serving a 25-year sentence in the U.S. and once earned the nickname the “merchant of death.”

The White House said it has not yet received a productive response from Russia to the offer.

Russian diplomats have refused to comment on the U.S. proposal and urged Washington to discuss the matter in confidential talks, avoiding public statements. But some Russian officials have said a deal is more likely once appeals have been exhausted.

In September, Biden met with Cherelle Griner, the player’s wife, as well as her agent, Lindsay Colas. Biden also sat down separately with Elizabeth Whelan, Paul Whelan’s sister.

The White House said after the meetings that the president stressed to the families his “continued commitment to working through all available avenues to bring Brittney and Paul home safely.”

The U.S. and Russia carried out a prisoner swap in April. Moscow released U.S. Marines veteran Trevor Reed in exchange for the U.S. releasing a Russian pilot, Konstantin Yaroshenko, who was convicted in a drug trafficking conspiracy.

Moscow also has pushed for the release of other Russians in U.S. custody.

One of them is Alexander Vinnik, who was accused of laundering billions of dollars through an illicit cryptocurrency exchange. Vinnik was arrested in Greece in 2017 and extradited to the U.S. in August.

Vinnik’s French lawyer, Frederic Belot, told Russian newspaper Izvestia last month that his client hoped to be part of a possible swap.

The newspaper speculated that another possible candidate was Roman Seleznev, the son of a Russian lawmaker. He was sentenced in 2017 to 27 years in prison on charges from a hacking and credit card fraud scheme.

InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

#28017100 - 10/26/22 06:47 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I get it Veggie.  Thought I posted it on the Sports Forum seriously.  Not a fake man.  I get the original point and why opinion from facts and news from those that are left is important as I thought of being a journist in the U of U and I get it. 

Putting the references at the end of it for a paper one takes a lot of time and effort on and one can sift through the bullshit to the real. I would never willingly post something that misleads people.  Know thyself.  Just meaning integrity and I am a news junkie and I will stand up for it.  Not a religious thing.  Just, how many people are dumbed down by so much fake media?  Yours never has been from what you post and those sources. 

Really, honest mistake. 

Great article.  Once again my mistake as I get fucked up and lazy at times.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals