Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinenektar61S
Tripping frog whisperer
Female Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: CubeSat in low earth orbit
CSU researchers using Reddit to see how people are using psychedelic mushrooms * 1
    #27890761 - 08/05/22 09:21 AM (5 days, 14 hours ago)

Aug 04, 2022 (video)
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/csu-researchers-using-reddit-to-see-how-people-are-using-psychedelic-mushrooms

Quote:

FORT COLLINS, Colo — It’s not where most scholarly studies start, but Bethany Gray at Colorado State University knew that the forum website Reddit was the perfect home for the topic at hand.

My survey is essentially gathering data about how psilocybin is being used in the real world right now,” Gray said. “And that’s kind of why I was pursuing this on Reddit. It’s just a uniquely suited place for gathering data on this subject. I want this be a generalizable study, and a platform like Reddit is just, like, open to basically any one with the internet in the world."

As voters in Colorado prepare to decide the future of psychedelics in the state through ballot initiatives this November, Gray and her team at Colorado State University are working to get a better idea of their current use in the world.

The anonymity of the internet allows Gray to ask her subjects how and why they’re using magic mushrooms (psilocybin), along with follow up questions like whether they are driving after using them. The hope is that the findings will be illuminating for scholars, leaders and even voters as they make up their minds on the issue.

Gray, a graduate student in the counseling psychology doctoral program at CSU, said she has no agenda for the research and is neutral regarding the upcoming ballot initiatives and decriminalization votes by city councils. There is, however, growing evidence that psychedelics like psilocybin can have broad benefits, she said.

“There is a lot of emerging evidence that psilocybin can be used for medicinal purposes,” Gray said. “So, for like headaches and cluster headaches, spiritual enhancement, and methods of like generating wellness… It can help with things like treatment-resistant depression, generalized anxiety disorder, substance use disorders and eating disorders.

“But, there are absolutely risks that I want to voice that need to be explored before psilocybin is approved for various types of use. People who take this drug without supervision or previous experience with it might react with some dangerous behavior, and they might really dislike the experience. And that's kind of known as a bad trip, colloquially. But, those risks can be mitigated with advanced information sessions, really caring and supportive supervision throughout the entire experience, and debriefing sessions.”

In-depth clinical studies on psychedelic use have been difficult to pursue in the United States, starting with their criminalization through the War on Drugs. Laws across the country are quickly changing, though. Denver decriminalized psilocybin in 2019, and other communities could follow. Citizens in Boulder have been pushing their council representatives to decriminalize psychedelic use as well.

“People are reporting less negative associations. Almost one in 10 US adults have tried psilocybin at least once in their life,” Gray said. “I don’t think we know confidently for sure whether psilocybin use — or psychedelic use in general — is a net negative or a net positive. But, my study is aiming to find out a little bit more about that.”

More than 1,100 people have participated in this survey study already, and Gray is hoping for as many as 2,500 before she shares her complete findings.

--------------------

Edited by nektar61 (08/05/22 11:41 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleveggieM

Re: CSU researchers using Reddit to see how people are using psychedelic mushrooms [Re: nektar61]
    #27890771 - 08/05/22 09:36 AM (5 days, 13 hours ago)

I'm not seeing a video at the link you provided. But, in any case, in the future please include the text of an article when posting to News.

Edit: Removed text of article. No sense having it twice as it is now edited into the first post.

Edited by veggie (08/06/22 12:03 AM)

Offlinenektar61S
Tripping frog whisperer
Female Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: CubeSat in low earth orbit
Re: CSU researchers using Reddit to see how people are using psychedelic mushrooms [Re: veggie]
    #27891875 - 08/05/22 11:40 PM (4 days, 23 hours ago)

I'm 100% seeing a video there. Maybe you have something turned off in your browser? Or wait a little. It took about 8 seconds to load on my end.

when I posted this earlier today there was no text, just video.

I always post text if there's text. You've seen me do that here every time.

I've edited the text into my first post.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies