Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Johns Hopkins Announces New Clinical Trial for Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Using Psilocybin * 2
    #27885081 - 08/01/22 05:17 PM (1 month, 30 days ago)

Johns Hopkins Announces New Clinical Trial for Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Using Psilocybin
August 1, 2022 - Longevity

Johns Hopkins Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research (CPCR) is embarking on a new clinical trial for individuals with Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome (PTLDS). PTLDS is a condition in which the symptoms of Lyme Disease remain for more than 6 months after treatment. This is exciting news for millions of sufferers.

The Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome Study

The Johns Hopkins study will test whether psilocybin is safe and helpful for improving fatigue, pain, mood, and quality of life in people with PTLDS.  It will be led by Dr. Albert Garcia-Romeu of the CPCR, in collaboration with Drs. John Aucott and Mark Soloski at the Johns Hopkins Lyme Disease Research Center.

Why is this so important?

According to the CDC, “Lyme Disease is caused by infection with the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi. Although most cases of Lyme disease can be cured with a 2- to 4-week course of oral antibiotics, patients can sometimes have symptoms of pain, fatigue, or difficulty thinking that last for more than 6 months after they finish treatment. This condition is called Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome (PTLDS).”

“It is not known why some patients experience PTLDS.  Some experts believe that Borrelia burgdorferi can trigger an “auto-immune” response causing symptoms that last well after the infection itself is gone.” – CDC

No proven treatment to date for PTLDS

The CDC reports,  that unfortunately there is no proven treatment for PTLDS.

“Although short-term antibiotic treatment is a proven treatment for early Lyme Disease,  funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) it has found that long-term outcomes are no better for patients who receive additional prolonged antibiotic treatment than for patients who receive a placebo. Long-term antibiotic treatment for Lyme disease has been associated with serious, sometimes deadly complications, as described in the links below.”

PTLDS can have an extremely negative impact on a person’s life.  Indeed,  living with PTLDS was brought back into the limelight recently by a Netflix documentary on country and western star  Shania Twain.  In an interview with USA Today, she relived her experience after being bitten by a tick. Shania lost her voice along with intense fatigue and other symptoms. The mega star was unable to perform for some time. This impacted her personal and professional life significantly.

Other Advances in Psychedelic Science

Johns Hopkins is considered the leading researcher into the health benefits of psychedelics  (of which psilocybin is just one) in the United States.

It started back in 2000 when a research group from Johns Hopkins were the first scientists in the US to get regulatory approval to research  psychedelics in healthy, psychedelic-naive volunteers.
Using psilocybin under medical supervision

Psychedelics are categorized as Schedule 1 of the Controlled Substances Act in the US. This classification is reserved for drugs with high abuse potential; no accepted medical use; and lack of safety even under medical supervision.

Groundbreaking Johns Hopkins studies

A 2006 publication by Johns Hopkins on the safety and enduring positive effects of a single dose of psilocybin is widely considered a landmark study that sparked a renewal of psychedelic research worldwide.

Since then, they have published further groundbreaking studies in more than 60 peer-reviewed articles in respected scientific journals.

This makes Johns Hopkins the leading psychedelic research institution in the U.S., and among the few leading groups worldwide.

Candidates for trials

In partnership with Columbia University, CPCR researchers recently launched a new survey study on how psychedelic experiences can impact romantic relationships. Couples are eligible to participate if (1) both members of the couple have used a psychedelic together or (2) only one member of the couple used a psychedelic during the time they were in their romantic relationship.

List of upcoming Johns Hopkins trials

Here is a list of the CPCR  trials currently under recruitment.  Click on the links below for more information.
Psilocybin and Alzheimer’s Disease
Psilocybin for Co-occurring Depression and Alcohol Use Disorder
Breathwork Survey for Anxiety, Depression, or PTSD
Psilocybin and Anorexia Nervosa
Psilocybin for Post-Treatment Lyme Disease
Healthcare Professionals Knowledge and Attitudes about Psychedelics
Psychedelic and Romantic Relationships Survey

References
Johns Hopkins: https://hopkinspsychedelic.org/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

Loc: The Swamp
Re: Johns Hopkins Announces New Clinical Trial for Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Using Psilocybin [Re: veggie]
    #27885499 - 08/02/22 12:01 AM (1 month, 30 days ago)

“It is not known why some patients experience PTLDS.  Some experts believe that Borrelia burgdorferi can trigger an “auto-immune” response causing symptoms that last well after the infection itself is gone.” – CDC

This is exactly what it is...and it’s also why a lot of people develop “long covid”.

The immune system continues to fight, and when it runs out of enemies it attacks itself.

Very very glad to hear Lyme is getting more attention, I got it from a tick couple years back, underwent a 21 day course of Doxycycline, and luckily healed pretty good...but I know several people who are now allergic to sooo many things, even meat...1 guy I know can’t even be around the smoke coming off a grill because his airway starts to swell up. It’s certainly an auto immune response.

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA
Re: Johns Hopkins Announces New Clinical Trial for Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Using Psilocybin [Re: TheShroomanizer]
    #27886459 - 08/02/22 03:44 PM (1 month, 29 days ago)

That's funny, I've been through chronic Lyme and now meat is about the only food I can eat.

But it's whatever you eat too often that will eventually trigger the autoimmune response.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

Loc: The Swamp
Re: Johns Hopkins Announces New Clinical Trial for Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Using Psilocybin [Re: Forrester]
    #27886538 - 08/02/22 04:47 PM (1 month, 29 days ago)

Auto immune responses are also HIGHLY genetic in nature. Not necessarily what we consume “too much of” but most of what we eat nowadays, or consume in 1 form or another triggers some kind of immune response, but usually it’s not severe enough to notice.

For example, some people say after a cup of coffee their joints kinda ache, but not bad...or some people get runny noses and runny eyes when they eat certain foods. That one in particular is a combination of immune response and the bodies over preparation for food consumption (like salivating).

But when your immune system ramps up, and starts producing highly specific WBC designed to target a specific infection, and builds all of the supporting biology, it can create a short term or long term intolerance...

Auto immune diseases are very interesting, I have been reading and reading about them for a long time...I believe that they serve a purpose we just don’t understand yet...a lot of animals have it, and I don’t think that it’s simply a negative consequence of unhealthy lifestyles. Time will tell, either way, I’m sorry for your experience...Lyme is no joke, and it’s so understudied and unknown to majority of people. I even heard some idiot call it “Lemons disease”. Really?....

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA
Re: Johns Hopkins Announces New Clinical Trial for Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Using Psilocybin [Re: TheShroomanizer]
    #27886645 - 08/02/22 05:47 PM (1 month, 29 days ago)

Yeah it's a tough condition to deal with, and not very well understood.  For years my whole family would relapse almost seasonally and suffer awful symptoms for 3 months or more out of the year.
The only thing that we've found that's kept symptoms at bay is a highly restrictive diet, with no grains, seed oils, sugar, or processed foods or additives of any sort.  The longer you're on it, the more the immune system seems to calm down.
Still, if I reintroduce say, eggs, I can eat them for a while. But if I eat them daily after a few weeks they'll start giving me problems again. Wheat gives me horrible lower back pain. Coffee or anything with oxylates gives me muscle knots in my upper back that hurt even worse.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale