Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
Casing Q
    #2787625 - 06/12/04 01:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hey all. I'm making my first casings today with a buddy, but i just did something and am not sure if it was the best thing. I saw that my cake had a little green on it, and i remembered reading somewhere that the green stuff starts from the inside and works out. So i busted it open expecting to get a cloud of green dust in my face, but instead opened up to a perfect cake. I just grabbed out the contamed area (very small and isolated) and put the two chunks of cake in some distilled water to rehydrate. This was after the cake had already tried to squeeze out a flush, but was pretty unsuccessful. Was this a bad thing to do? It wouldn't be too much of a shock for a cake to have been broken open then shoved into water, would it? This is after a flush so i should dunk for 24-36 hrs right? :mushroom2:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Q [Re: Hrethic]
    #2787647 - 06/12/04 01:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

All you can do is try to fruit them. Next time put a little h202 in the water. If there were any contam spores on the cake they can spread fast durring the dunk

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Casing Q [Re: Hrethic]
    #2787680 - 06/12/04 02:04 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Some casing methods crumble it into the tub, which is a bit harsher than splitting it in two, so I don't think that will upset it too much.

I am not sure how a fruited cake will perform in a casing, the mycelium needs to colonize the casing layer, which should be done while the mycelium is in its growth phase.

Also, if you want to go with casings I would recommend using grains for you next project.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: Casing Q [Re: psilomonkey]
    #2788786 - 06/13/04 12:25 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You can case BRF and you do not want the casing layer to be colonized, otherwise it serves little purpose and may slow your grow. Also he never said he was using PF tek anyway...

Hrethic: Don't dunk for more than 24 hrs, breaking it in half should be fine. Do you plan on putting the cake back into fruiting conditions or casing it?
Likely the contam will come back, but I don't know, mabye you'll get lucky.

Good luck :crazy:

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Casing Q [Re: holio1]
    #2789412 - 06/13/04 06:53 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

holio1 said:
You can case BRF and you do not want the casing layer to be colonized, otherwise it serves little purpose and may slow your grow. Also he never said he was using PF tek anyway...

You don't want it over-colonized, but you do what the mycelium to run through the casing level.

He did say he is using a cakes, and is using a cake that has already produced a flush, before he cased it, which I think may not work out, but I am interested to see the results.

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: Casing Q [Re: psilomonkey]
    #2789577 - 06/13/04 10:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think he plans on casing though, he never meantioned it in his post. I think what he wants to do is take the two pieces of his cake and then fruit it again, but I think it would grow pretty small shrooms if he was using a half pint.

People have used cakes after one flush for casing before, and it does work alright, but I have never done it.

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
Re: Casing Q [Re: holio1]
    #2792735 - 06/14/04 05:05 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, sorry guys, i was pretty unclear with what the hell i'm actually doing. I broke apart a PF cake that i had fruited once already (very small crappy shrooms) and then put it in some water (i'll be using H202 10/100 next time) and then i broke it apart further and put it in a casing. I used that cake plus another one that i had ready, crumbled it all and cased in verm. Right now it's sitting at a nice 85 degrees in pure dark... i'm crossing my fingers. Thanks for the responses everyone! :mushroom2:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation