Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
The Mouse That Roared
    #2786622 - 06/12/04 01:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Some excerpts from the article found at this link -- http://us.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/06/11/prebles.mouse.ap/index.html

Research: Endangered mouse never existed

Friday, June 11, 2004 Posted: 5:22 PM EDT (2122 GMT)

CHUGWATER, Wyoming (AP) -- Amy and Steve LeSatz want to be able to teach their clients the finer points of riding and roping without having to trailer their animals 25 miles to the nearest public indoor arena whenever the weather turns miserable.

But the LeSatzes aren't able to build their own riding arena. The only decent site on their property in southeastern Wyoming lies within 300 feet of Chugwater Creek, and building there is far too expensive because of Endangered Species Act restrictions intended to protect the Preble's meadow jumping mouse.

"The mouse that doesn't exist," Amy LeSatz noted drily.

After six years of regulations and restrictions that have cost builders, local governments and landowners on the western fringe of the Great Plains as much as $100 million by some estimates, new research suggests the Preble's mouse in fact never existed. It instead seems to be genetically identical to one of its cousins, the Bear Lodge meadow jumping mouse, which is considered common enough not to need protection.

"If we've shown that the mouse doesn't exist, what happens to all that has been set aside? Because that's been a huge economic burden," wondered Brian Garber, assistant director of governmental relations for the Colorado Contractors Association.

In one Colorado Springs, Colorado, subdivision, for example, the restrictions include a requirement that cats be kept on leashes.

In rural areas, protecting the mouse has meant telling ranchers they cannot clear weeds out of their irrigation canals, reducing the amount of water that gets to their hay fields in the middle of summer. They are also restricted in how they can allow their animals to graze along streams, another regulation the LeSatzes have to work around.

On top of that, the mouse also has blocked the construction of reservoirs amid a five-year drought in the Rocky Mountains.

"The bottom line is, it has been a wonderful tool for environmental groups to try to stop things," said Kent Holsinger, attorney for Coloradans for Water Conservation and Development, which has asked the Fish and Wildlife Service to remove the mouse from federal protection.

More at the link.

pinky

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: The Mouse That Roared [Re: Phred]
    #2786696 - 06/12/04 01:18 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Number one rule for a landowner wishing to do something with his land. BEFORE starting any work or applying for dispensation from any government agency, kill any and all living things on your land. This is the lesson that the environmental wackos have unintentionally taught (and continue to teach).

Rule number two: environmental extremists should be considered vermin. They take up resources, create waste and are a general nuisance to the well being of decent folk everywhere. Recommended ammo: .308 Winchester.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: The Mouse That Roared [Re: Evolving]
    #2786728 - 06/12/04 01:31 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

amen

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2786776 - 06/12/04 01:55 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Whats exactly is an extreme environmentalist?

Quote:

create waste and are a general nuisance to the well being of decent folk everywhere

More waste than...

I saw this article just a few minutes ago, quite interesting. Very sad people cant get their facts straight. It hurts people who are actually trying to accomplish something.

Whether this applies... i do not know.

--------------------
What?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: The Mouse That Roared [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2786881 - 06/12/04 02:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Zero7a1 said:
Whats exactly is an extreme environmentalist?

I think the ones who put pieces of metal in trees so the chainsaws backfire and get the logging people could be considered environmental extremists. I consider myself an environmentalist, but there sure are a lot of whackos who bear that title as well.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Mouse That Roared [Re: Phred]
    #2787556 - 06/12/04 01:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

im sure the mouse existed because its pretty freakin hard to get an animal on an endangered list. and enviromental extremists using the mouse to "stop things" is absurd. they dont want their waterways dreged? they dont want some random rancher to be able to build near grassland? yeah right.

around here we have gopher tortisis which builders like to burry alive in their burroughs when preparing a lot for construction. they are endangered animals yet the lazy motherfuckers cant take the time to call wildlife removal to have the tortoises trapped and released somewhere else. comes down to stupid lazy money hungry honkeys vs people who dont want to see species continue to be killed off by stupid human habits.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: The Mouse That Roared [Re: Eightball]
    #2787595 - 06/12/04 01:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Eightball said:
im sure the mouse existed because its pretty freakin hard to get an animal on an endangered list.

Evironmental extremists have gotten quite a few animals on endangered species lists that were in fact not seperate species at all. The trick is to label a population in a specific geographic area as seperate species, that is all.

Quote:

... and enviromental extremists using the mouse to "stop things" is absurd. they dont want their waterways dreged? they dont want some random rancher to be able to build near grassland? yeah right.

Yeah, that is right. There are humans who LOATH their own species.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #2798748 - 06/16/04 01:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Evolving,

So are you denying that the environment is in danger as a result of human misuse? Do you believe there should be no restrictions against, say, dumping garbage in the ocean? Or do you accept that a certain level of restraint is necessary in order to maintain an inhabitable earth? If so, who defines what that level of restraint is? The corporate-owned government? What do you do if the current level of protection is not enough (based upon the findings of biologists and ecologists) to maintain a sustainable earth?

What is the difference between an environmentalist and an environmental extremist? Do you think they are all wako vermin who should be elliminated?

I believe the issue of the environment is absolutely key to human survivability and am just trying to pin things down with you a bit more...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion