Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Effects of too little water during fruiting?
    #2785508 - 06/11/04 05:26 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

For the life of me I can't get the humidity above 75% in my fruiting chamber (there's some evidence that the hygrometer is broken considering there's constantly precipitation on the sides of the container, however since the casings dry out super fast, I assume it's right) and now that my casings have started pinning, I'm wondering will they grow slow? just abort? etc. Is it safe to mist while the casing is pinning?

I would take care of the rh problem except for the fact that I've got to terminate this grow really soon anyways.

--Aeolus

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #2785595 - 06/11/04 05:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: Effects of too little water during fruiting? [Re: Citric]
    #2785600 - 06/11/04 05:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well that's encouraging, but why do the casings get so dry if the humidity is high?

And I can't really mist without misting the casing because it's a relatively small fruiting chamber.

--Aeolus

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: Effects of too little water during fruiting? [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #2785640 - 06/11/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

domey's right about the condensation. also, if you have casings, remember that the casing layer provides additional humidity, and acts as a micro-climate. the rh of the casing layer will be higher than the rh of your chamber. and whatever... i mist when i have pins, i mist when the shrooms are growing. I dont get any more aborts than i would have without misting. maybe im just lucky though.

your casings probably dry out because you have too many holes in your chamber. or maybe they just LOOK dry?

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

OfflineIamthewalrus
every evening Idied and everynight I wasreborn
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: Effects of too little water during fruiting? [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #2789152 - 06/13/04 02:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

you CAN mist with pins just keep it light..it will only cause aborts if you mist the hell outta them to the point where you can see lil puddles on top...I personally mist once or twice a day up till first signs of primordia just cause they don't need anymore after this point but if your casing is dry a lil misting will not hurt

also its more likely that your casings are drying out from the water content of your substrate...this is the most important water in a casing...this is where most of the water comes from that go into the mushrooms(I believe anyways)....casings will fruit without any humidity in the air(or very little as least) I have fruited without a chamber in dry air..you have to mist a lot with this tek tho...the only problem with it is the mushrooms will dry out on the outside in the dry air a lil bit and possibly stay smaller but I'm not 100% sure on that...in any case with a casing most of the water the shrooms need are from the substrate and to a lesser extent the casing layer(again my opinion I COULD be wrong)...you can see how the substrate will shrink after pinning and contines until mature

oh and btw 75% humidity is more than enough for a casing.. you only need a lil bit to keep the mushrooms from drying out like I said above

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation