Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #2785435 - 06/11/04 05:05 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I believe that all people have a natural ability to recieve emotions from others. It may only be a very mild ability in some, and a very strong ability in others.

I have recognized this in my own personal experiences. Picking up on the emotions of a group of people.

As I get older I have the obligation (as we all do) to attend the funeral(or wedding) of someone we know. We may not know the person well enuf to have any sadness in their passing, or gladness in their wedding. We have no real emotional attachment to the deceased or persons getting married. WE are just there for support.

I have noticed a PROFOUND change in my emotional state while going to a funeral recently. I knew the person when he was real young, pre-teen. I moved away and never realy saw him much after that. When I went to his funeral, I had no real sadness in me about his passing. I didnt know him that well. I knew his parents fairly well but that is all.

When I got to the parking lot of the funeral home I was OK. No problems. As soon as I opened the doors and walked in...WHAM...the emotions hit so hard that I had to leave. I was only able to stay long enuf to meet his father. Then I HAD to go. As soon as I got out of the fruneral home and to my car, I was feeling MUCH better. By the time I got home everything was OK.

Has anyone else had this, or something similar happen to them?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: empathy? [Re: niteowl]
    #2786078 - 06/11/04 09:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I've only been to funerals for people that I didn't know or know well.. always there "for support" like you said.. and I've also experienced a very heavy emotional drain just from being in the same room as a bunch of people who are sad. It's fucked up, but interesting.

Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #2786107 - 06/11/04 09:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It's all in your perception. You can perceive reality in a way that allows you to have no empathy, and other ways that let you have varying degrees of empathy, or the reverse, varying degrees of bitterness. As a whole I notice psychedelic users tend to be more empathetic than those that don't use psychdelics, but as always this is not the case

Nevertheless it's good you can perceive empathy in the passing of those you didn't even know. We have had quite a few kids die this year, 3 I believe, and in a rather small town such as this everyone hears about it, and even the people who didn't know them start to offer their condolences and often end up crying. It seems emotions are infectious to many humans, as in a collective empathy for their species (and beyond often) will spread, as will good joy and celebrating, or anger

So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

*DELETED* [Re: Ravus]
    #2786770 - 06/12/04 01:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted. Reason for deletion: Confidential.

Edited by Wa7sum (10/03/07 09:31 AM)

Loc: S. Oregon Coast , USA
    #2787302 - 06/12/04 10:56 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Empathy is a very real emotion that often can be developed or shut-off.
Some people can't deal with it and then you see those who seem emotion-less or those who can't deal with society as a whole and are always negative and depressed.
I hear a lot of people talk about learning how to shield. While I've only been marginally successful at best, I know many for whom it works.
I've learned that many times I can't be in a room that has people in it who are in negative mental states. The whole "pack theory" comes into play and I pick up and start experiencing their state of mind. At that point anything positive often bleeds out of me and it can take a while, after removing myself, to shake it off.

"Do not meddle,
In the affairs of Dragons.
For thou art crunchy,
and tasty with catsup."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: The Doors

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology