Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIpomoeaViolacea
Loc: US, Ohio
Psilocybe cyanescens
    #2784816 - 06/11/04 12:29 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Does anyone have any experience hunting/eating these mushrooms? I live in Ohio, near the river, and I am very close to West Virginia. I usually pick Psilocybe caerulipes across the river, around different places of WV, though lately I have been actually finding Psilocybe cyanescens there. These mushrooms aren't supposed to grow anywhere near the states I live around, but I have no doubt that these are Wavy Caps. I didn't believe it when a couple friends first told me about it, but after I've seen them growing, and I properly identified them, they are indeed Psilocybe cyanescens. Apparently a good many years ago the place was spored, and these mushrooms were introduced to the area. There are about three different locations that I find reasonable amounts of them in. I just picked a couple today. They are a very potent species, and I was just wondering if anyone here has hunted for them or eaten them? Here is a picture:

--------------------
Sailing on the wind
in a milk white gown
Dropping circle stones on a sun dial
Playing hide and seek
with the ghosts of dawn
Waiting for a smile from a sun child.

"Moonchild" by King Crimson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline7777
The one
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: IpomoeaViolacea]
    #2784824 - 06/11/04 12:32 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

What the fuck is that???

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #2784868 - 06/11/04 12:46 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting find, hard to see in that picture though. Is that bluing I see or just shitty lighting? :wink:

How did you "properly identify them" as P. cyanescens?  Just asking cause I *HIGHLY* doubt they're  that species.  I'm very familiar with the cyans, they only grow in the fall/winter and haven't been reported from the east coast.  If the daytime temps are getting above 70 with any regularity, I'd say you can rule out P. cyanescens.

if they are anything active, they would most likely be caerulipes, which makes me wonder what this other species you're calling caerulipes is :smile:...  you sure they're not just younger fruits of the same species? a better description and better pics (preferably of younger specimens, and your "caerulipes") would be nice.  P. caerulipes seems to be a pretty rare find by how many posts are here on it.  Definitely get some good spore prints and better pics if you can...

DH

OfflineIpomoeaViolacea
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: spores]
    #2785190 - 06/11/04 02:15 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have taken spore prints, and I've read extensively about identifying them by sight, smell, environment, taste, etc.. They are definitely not caerulipes. Caerulipes are very common in these parts of WV. There have been 80 arrests in a single day of people picking them. I know this is a very bad picture. The darkness is both blueing and bad lighting. I have eaten these caps several times, and I don't know of any other mushrooms they could possibly be. I will take my camera out to where I pick them, and you will see the nice caramel color and such.

--------------------
Sailing on the wind
in a milk white gown
Playing hide and seek
with the ghosts of dawn

Invisiblehawk
Stranger
    #2785363 - 06/11/04 02:44 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Caerulipes are very common in these parts of WV.
Quote:

Are not common at all, and according to Stamets it is not found frequently. Unless you are
in league with the great mushroom of the wood realm, you are full of it. :shake:

Edited by hawk (06/11/04 03:07 PM)

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

#2785427 - 06/11/04 03:03 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well, cyans dont really have a distinct smell or taste, and the environment is wrong for them (OH in late spring), so that leaves looks as the only similarity you've given us they share with the cyanescens...  Not too convincing...

Also, I dunno if you've noticed but caerulipes is not listed by any of the spore vendors, when I said get prints, I meant partly for ID and partly to spread around for cultivation/microscopy if indeed you do have an active psilocybe :wink: .  I think the cultivation inclined among us would be interested in a potent species that fruits at warm temps :smile: ...

What are you finding them in (substrate)?  And what are the temperatures like lately?

DH

OfflineIpomoeaViolacea
    #2785454 - 06/11/04 03:10 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I wasn't asking for help with identification. I know what I have. I was just asking if anyone has experience with these mushrooms.. They don't have a really distinct smell or taste, but I know what they smell like as compared with some others that look vaugely similar. The caerulipes are indeed a rare mushroom, but these have been identified by mycologists. There are websites out there that verify this. www.magic-mushrooms.net is one of them. It talks about the arrests made for possesion of the caerulipes. However, about the others that I posted about, they are definitely active. I have eaten them several times. It only takes one large mushroom to have a decent experience. I have eaten more than that, but I got very significant CEV's from one large cap/stem, lots of laughter, spirituality, and I can tell that these mushrooms have a high Psilocin content.

--------------------
Sailing on the wind
in a milk white gown
Playing hide and seek
with the ghosts of dawn

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

#2785479 - 06/11/04 03:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

IpomoeaViolacea said:
I wasn't asking for help with identification.  I know what I have.

You may think you do, but if you can't explain *exactly* why you know what they are, beyond saying they look, smell and taste like cyans :smirk:, that makes me think you don't really know...

I'm not trying to be a dick, I think they do look like they could be active from that picture, I just disagree with your identification of P. cyanescens based primarily on the season and part of the country you found them.  If you don't want to listen, I guess that's fine, but I'm not just talking shit, I've picked plenty of cyans and am pretty confident in saying what you have is not them.  Maybe mjshroomer will have some more input for you if/when he sees this...

Peace,

DH

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Coast
    #2785507 - 06/11/04 03:25 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

post some habitat pics and tell us more about all this. I also have a lot of trouble believing those are ps. cyans, cuz it really makes no sense. If they aren't cyans, i'd be interested to hear what they are. Show more pics!!

Invisiblehawk
Stranger
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: day_tripper]
    #2785537 - 06/11/04 03:31 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, maybe I was a little tough on you. I would like to get these identified as well. Maybe get some fresh specimens, those just are very difficult to examine

OfflineIpomoeaViolacea
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: hawk]
    #2785582 - 06/11/04 03:38 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

To all, I am not trying to be a dick either.. However, I have done extensive research, and though I really don't understand how it is possible that they are Psilocybe cyanescens, I have no idea what else they could be. I am not going to say that I am 100% sure that these are cyans, but I am going to say I am 100% sure they are active. I pick them and eat them all the time. I will be picking again in a couple days, and I will take plenty of pictures so that you guys will see that I am not crazy in suspecting Psilocybe cyanescens. I wish I would have taken pictures today, as these were picture perfect specimens before I picked them. They look identical to most of the Psilocybe cyanescens pictures I've seen on the web.

--------------------
Sailing on the wind
in a milk white gown
Playing hide and seek
with the ghosts of dawn

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

#2785615 - 06/11/04 03:47 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Looking forward to the pics :smile:

Like I said above too, get some good clean prints on foil...

If no one else wants one, I do :grin:.  I have other spores to trade if ya want.

DH

Invisiblehawk
Stranger
    #2785621 - 06/11/04 03:48 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Can not wait. :thumbup:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2786781 - 06/11/04 11:58 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

They sure look like over-aged P. caerulipes to me. Many Psilocybes caps turn up and becomewavy with age. and P. caerulips like any other Psilocybe can have large fruiting sin man made environments.

P. cyanescensi is a cold weather species and the site you went to is wrouth with many errors and even a few misidentified species.

So No matter what you think, those are not Psilocybe cyanescens.

And again, the only other possibility is P. caerulipes.

If I had Photoshop I cols clean up the color but i am going to attempt to in a different program.

mj

Will be back in a few minutes with some color corrections.

mj

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2786783 - 06/12/04 12:01 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I'm with DH on this one. Although it's hard to argue with your ingestion and proclamation of them being actives not much else fits well, or at all, with cyans. Cyans rarely ever fruit in the off season and if they are going to, Ohio just seems to be an unlikely place.
I am looking forward to some more pics, this does sound interesting and if you're wondering what to do with a print after taking it for IDing I wouldn't mind checking it out under the scope.

Peace - @cro

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2786802 - 06/12/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

IpomoeaViolacea is incorrect in i his identification of these mushrooms as Psilocybe cyanescens.

After working in Illustrator 8, here is the color of the shrooms and they are definitely old rotting Psilocybe caerulipes specimens.

Here is the correct image and I hope it shows up as clearly as I just corrected it.

mj

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2786810 - 06/12/04 12:10 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I agree, there is absolutely no way they are Ps. cyanescens. Not only do they not grow in Ohio, they don't fruit in the summer.

OfflineIpomoeaViolacea
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: Gumby]
    #2787259 - 06/12/04 08:19 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Ok..  First off, good job on the picture.  :smile:  However, when these were picked, they were beautiful, picture perfect, full grown specimens that must have just came up earlier in the morning.  They did not look anything like they do in that picture when I picked them.  The younger specimens that I've found all have wavy caps and a thick caramel color.  On that picture, it would be easy to identify them as Psilocybe caerulipes, but they are absolutely not.  I am not going to continue the cyanescens arguement until I get pictures, but I defy anyone to find me a picture of a caerulipes that looks remotely close to these mushrooms fresh, and to tell me that these do not look identical to cyanescens.  I just hope I can get out soon because it has been raining like crazy. 

--------------------
Sailing on the wind
in a milk white gown
Playing hide and seek
with the ghosts of dawn

Edited by IpomoeaViolacea (06/12/04 08:26 AM)

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #2787348 - 06/12/04 09:23 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

www.mushroomjohn.com/species26.htm

right on the page it mentions your refernce to 80 arrests a day and also shows a speimine that hasn't completely lost its carmel tone yet.
and it is MJs site to boot.
so basically, the guy who most likely originally wrote the reference you used disagrees with you.
i would also say that those are caerulipes.

i'd like tho know what "mycologist" told you otherwise.
hes not far off for appearances, but realistically, youe got 
caerulipes there, not cyans.

even so, goody goody :smile: thats a potent little bugger, and although they may exist within my range, ive personally yet to find them.

young psilocybes of the carmel-capped, potent, wood-loving ilk all look quite alike.  but those adult specimines you posted show no indication of being anything but psilocybe caerulipes.

OfflineIpomoeaViolacea
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2787442 - 06/12/04 10:22 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well, you will definitely see differently when I post the new pictures. I never said that a mycologist said they were cyanescens. I said that a mycologist identified the very common mushrooms that people were getting arrested for to be caerulipes. However, I know many people that pick caerulipes that have came across these other mushrooms, and they had no idea what they were, let alone believing them to be psychoactive. I have eaten caerulipes, and these others are far more potent.

--------------------
Sailing on the wind
in a milk white gown
Playing hide and seek
with the ghosts of dawn

Offlineazurescens
    #2789910 - 06/13/04 01:02 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

So where are these pics??? It's been almost two days since you said we see them. People are eagerly awaiting.

OfflineIpomoeaViolacea
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: azurescens]
    #2795801 - 06/15/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hey man, sorry.. It's been storming like crazy. I just tried to go out today, but it started storming as soon as I got to my place.

--------------------
Sailing on the wind
in a milk white gown
Playing hide and seek
with the ghosts of dawn

Offlinefroste
Gypsy Joker
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #17317504 - 12/01/12 09:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

heres some pics of some cyans i have been working on thought id share them:

the newer pics are at the top and they get older toward the bottom but they are from today and Nov. 24th and Nov. 20th (10 days ago)

--------------------
FrostE

:eyeball::heartpump::mushroom2::sporedrop::mushdance::fearandloathing:

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

Offlinedivo
sic as in ill

Re: Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: froste]
    #17318076 - 12/01/12 11:12 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

This post is beat, those are obviously ovoids.

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #17318400 - 12/02/12 12:15 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

froste said:
heres some pics of some cyans i have been working on thought id share them:

the newer pics are at the top and they get older toward the bottom but they are from today and Nov. 24th and Nov. 20th (10 days ago)

Congrats on replying to a thread that is 8 AND A HALF YEARS OLD

Offlinefrexe
Stranger
    #17318477 - 12/02/12 12:37 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

o.O swear I seen those images somewhere before...

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #17318492 - 12/02/12 12:43 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Lol, see......

--------------------

Alan Rockefeller said:No!  Do not feed the type collection of a new species to animals!

OfflineVicker
drunken fool
Male User Gallery

Loc: DrocnoC CA
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: BjJiggles]
    #17318505 - 12/02/12 12:46 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Wait so i reply to every one of the similar thread?

Offlinefroste
Gypsy Joker
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens [Re: Vicker]
    #17318518 - 12/02/12 12:51 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

ooo boy....:blush:

--------------------
FrostE

:eyeball::heartpump::mushroom2::sporedrop::mushdance::fearandloathing:

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson

Invisiblemaynardjameskeenan
The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Merica
Trusted Identifier
    #17318759 - 12/02/12 02:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

:facepalm:
:bigblunt:  :lolsy:

--------------------
May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

OfflineSleazyshroomer
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #24031628 - 01/22/17 07:26 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Found many in sheffeild in a mulch bed started a few gardens in random mulch beds across Lorain county find them if you can lol

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom