Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMellowMood
Dreamin Man
Loc: in the vast
Society for spiritual growth
    #2784726 - 06/11/04 01:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Theres this man who works at the local "pride of geneva" gas station (Geneva being the town i live). I go in there at night 2 or 3 times aweek. I see him working...He doesnt speak to me. Every night i will walk up to him say "hi, how ya doin" in the light hearted manner in which i do all things. His response seems to be just a heavy grumble of pain, failing to produce words. I can see his pain in his eyes. I say "thank you" politely then smile, as I often do. Walk away back on my way.

What do I do? There are so many people stuck in themselves creating huge holes of pain and images of duality. Do we just lead by example? Keep on enlightening ourselves and let them fall deeper or just hope they catch on?

Another thing is that the society I live in today has goals based on money, power, and prestige. I however dont share these goals. I feel a society better fit for me would be one with goals of Unified Understanding, Community commitment, love, and personal spiritual growth. But still a society...still be people around to converse with to grow with. And maybe the man at the local "pride of (supercool society of oneness)" will smile back and say thank you have a nice day. Is there a place like this?

Im ending this here cus i feel like its just becoming rambling. Just in the past 2 months have I become spiritually active. So i have many questions which might be simply answered or not...Im gonna keep em comin till i understand though. What i understand so far...Live life, make music, make love, make conversation, make understanding, LAUGH, and DANCE. I found myself dancing the music of the rain the other day so i started laughing at myself cus I loved it :grin:

--------------------
"Im a dreamin man
yes thats my problem
I cant tell when im
not being real"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Society for spiritual growth [Re: MellowMood]
    #2785225 - 06/11/04 04:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

holy fuck, are you for real?

"Do we just lead by example? Keep on enlightening ourselves and let them fall deeper or just hope they catch on?"

wow, please, bless us with your advanced knowledge of human existance. Did you ever consider that maybe this guy is broke, so he has to work a shit job in order to pay his bills, and this shit state of affairs is compounded by spoiled hippies coming into his nightmare with a big spiritual perma-grin, bothering him with fucking! pointless, inane questions like "How ya doin?"

what does that mean? "How ya doin?" we say that all day long and it means nothing. So what if he is honest and says:

"How am I doing? Im poor, my little sister is dying of cancer and I've recently become impotent"

what kind of mind-blowing spiritual advice are you, the holiest of holy, going to give him? lemme guess:

"Hey man, its like...dont even worry, just chill and realize that life is a constant state of transition".

Are you rich or poor? do you have a job? some people have rough lives man, and they dont like to be bothered by pseudo-gurus who cant relate.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #2785358 - 06/11/04 04:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MellowMood said:
... I feel a society better fit for me would be one with goals of Unified Understanding, Community commitment, love, and personal spiritual growth. But still a society...still be people around to converse with to grow with. :grin:

The Native Americans had this kind of society. It was destroyed by money hungry poeple from an "advanced society".

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Society for spiritual growth [Re: niteowl]
    #2785411 - 06/11/04 04:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
The Native Americans had this kind of society.

Which Native Americans? There were many and varied Native American societies, some were extremely warlike and aggresive against their neighbors.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #2785438 - 06/11/04 05:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

ah, the noble-savage myth---that evil motives are not inherent in people but spring from corrupting social institutions.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

InvisibleMellowMood
Dreamin Man
    #2785440 - 06/11/04 05:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I say it all day long and it means something, if someone wants it to.I would like for him to respond that way. If he did I would be there to help him. Im not just saying this cus im think im super enlightened. I feel PAIN when i see these people. Because I love them but I can see that they dont love themselves. And it HURTS. Your really hurtin me with all those harsh words too. Im sorry if anything I said came off as ignorant...Im pure in my intention it comes from the heart man...

--------------------
"Im a dreamin man
yes thats my problem
I cant tell when im
not being real"

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2785632 - 06/11/04 05:51 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I was gonna say that maybe the guy's got acid reflux or something that causing him physical pain. I guess you'd know better than me, though, but that's kind of what that situation sounded like. In any case, he's unhappy, but I don't see how this necessarily means he doesn't love himself, it just seems to indicate that he doesn't love you. Which is a shame, but really not a big deal.

When I say thank you to the cashier at the Atlantic Superstore or wherever, they usually reply with a 'Have a nice day' which I am all too happy to reciprocate. Does this mean there's a sense of understanding or love or spiritual enlightenment here? No, not really, but it does generate that sense of community a bit, I find...

As for native societies, not sure they were utopian love-happy places, necessarily, or even more prone to developping towards that than many other cultures, but it is awfully hard to argue that the First Nations weren't destroyed by a hegemonic force that stole their land and did its best to destroy any distinctive native identity.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Offlinecherokee
tennis shoes
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nationwide Flag
    #2785941 - 06/11/04 08:11 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Do not become sad because of other peoples' sadness. The most you can do is live your life with compassion and try to pass it on to those who will listen. Walk around smiling, but don't become obsessed with happiness. It can leave you just as easily as it came. Realize that sadness and happiness do not matter and that happiness doesn't entail any more enlightenment than sadness.

Those are my spirtual commands for the day

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2787215 - 06/12/04 09:08 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

mellow, carry on, of course that's the right way ! Don't let you fart in the face by ignorants who have forgotten what the meaning of 'how are you' is and who let money rule their life. They will fall apart. Others have to make the world a better place.

Yes, leading by example. Perhaps they somewhen recognize how high the dark walls were, they built around them.

Peace and understanding - trust and love.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleKttail
DragonDreamer
Male

Loc: S. Oregon Coast , USA
    #2787274 - 06/12/04 10:33 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It's a fine line you learn to walk if truly you are concerned.
IMHO, the best you can do is lead by example and keep up the small talk, even if it is only one liners such as you've already done.
Society has trained us to not be honest. We believe that when asked "how are ya?" that the person asking is just being polite and doesn't really wish to know. It generally makes folks uncomfortable if you answer truthfully. Por ejemplo, yesterday a coworker asked how I was doing. I answered "absolutely fuckin miserable, how 'bout you?". This momentary look of discomfort (like he was passing gas) came over his face and then he smiled and said "great!" He then went on to talk to someone else. End of discussion.
Society sucks, deal with it. There is no Utopian society.
However, there is little spots of light interspersed throughout it. There are others like you out there if you are open to it. Don't let flamers that don't understand their own ignorance get you down for long.
You said that you just became spiritually active. You may go through a very drastic period of growth that may be uncomfortable at times. The hardest thing, IMO, to learn will be how to be true to yourself and yet still be able to function in this society in a productive manner. I still haven't perfected that one and I started on my path 12 years ago.
Seek out those who feel the same as you do, it will be a great feeling when you connect with others.
It's good to have questions, just don't expect them to all be answered. There are always more.
You know all those cheesy emails you get like "dance like there's no-one watching". There's a lot of truth in them.
I could go on and on, but I imagine that eyes have glazed over reading this, so I stop. :grin:
Good luck and Blessings

--------------------
"Do not meddle,
In the affairs of Dragons.
For thou art crunchy,
and tasty with catsup."

InvisibleMellowMood
Dreamin Man
Re: Society for spiritual growth [Re: Kttail]
    #2787382 - 06/12/04 11:50 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for all the insight . I guess the question now is....Is it more appropriate to shift around my personal goals(will society hinder my spiritual growth at all?), "needs"(I dont need a lot. And  in America more is better.), and preferences(marijuana) to fit that of the society i was born in...Or is it more appropriate to change my enviroment to fit what i percieve is best for me? Im not sure frankly because im aware of the fact that theres a lot I dont know. And maybe America is the place i should be...Should I take advantage of being in the "land of oppertunity"...Its hard to tell the diference between "programming" im getting over and whats real.

:stoned:its 11 am why think when you can sleep? :1up:

--------------------
"Im a dreamin man
yes thats my problem
I cant tell when im
not being real"

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2788579 - 06/12/04 10:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Dude! You have reached spiritual enlightenment, your every word proves it so. Dont listen to these buffoons. I see where they are coming from, but I think it sounds very good of you to try to reach this person the way you do.

I remember back in the day when i had so much pain, I would mumble a response if someone said something nice to me, but in my heart all I wanted to do was smile and be helped up to the level of the person.

And to answer your question, you should spread your love, ofcourse you should.

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

InvisibleKttail
DragonDreamer
Male

Loc: S. Oregon Coast , USA
    #2789663 - 06/13/04 12:13 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Only you can answer that question of your personal goals.
Society will hinder your spiritual growth only if you allow it to.
I used to think that I had specific convictions that would never change, but in my area of spiritual growth I grew out of the black and white thinking so prevalent in many mainstream spiritual paths.
As you grow, your priorities may change and things you thought were inviolate could change.
A personal example; I used to smoke pot daily. Not a lot, just enough to tweek my senses to able to mentally relax. At some point my priorities changed and I decided to get a career. In my chosen career I'm subject to random UA's both by the company I work for and the State. No more smoke. I don't know about anywhere else, but here in the united states employers are very uptight about pot and people are even subjected to drug testing for shit, minimum wage positions.
Don't get me wrong, if allowed I probably would still partake regularly and I like to think that when I retire I'll be able to again without worrying about it. Just at this point it isn't conducive to my personal goals.
I don't know where you are at right now, but first instinct says that you should stay where you are at. You haven't mentioned anything about being in peril or distress about your location, so why put yourself through a major upheaval like that? You would be going somewhere that likely has a different culture, new set of rules, and completely foreign way of life. That, IMHO, could seriously hinder your personal spiritual growth. I could be wrong, as often I am, but that is my honest opinion.
If you ever you have a question that you don't want to open-post feel free to pm any of us.
I think that it's a remarkable sign of growth, in and of itself, that you are willing to openly discuss this as you have and I encourage you do continue your search. The anonymity of the internet is a blessing for those such as yourself, use it to its fullest.
The path of the Seeker is sometimes a rough one, but no matter...it has its rewards.
Brightest Blessings

--------------------
"Do not meddle,
In the affairs of Dragons.
For thou art crunchy,
and tasty with catsup."

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2791360 - 06/14/04 01:28 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

To put someone down for not inflicting theirself on you is ridiculous. Do you have a job? Have you ever been poor? Have you ever had a substance abuse problem? Have you ever been so miserable you just wanted to end it all and take some of these irritating bastards with you? I have in my 40 years on Earth been subjected to all of these things and there were many days I did not feel like "dancing to the sound of the rain" because I had to go to work/my wife was pissed at me/the kids were on my very last nerve/I was broke/I was hung over during a 15 year fight with alcoholism. Come on guy move out of the dorm/parent's basement/utopia and live life. I have mellowed and sought self improvement with the years but there was a time that I WAS that guy in the gas station.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2791361 - 06/14/04 01:36 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

In the end, it's all about how much love you spread, and helping those who need it and want it, without losing yourself in the process. Live and let live. Help where you can, but stay respectul.. of yourself.. of others.. it's a fine line to walk.

Basically, you just need to move on with your life, and do what your heart thinks is the right thing to do. There will be obstacles to overcome, and they will trick you.. but remember that it's all a test.. to see how well you can handle it :cool:

There will also be people who will try to kill your hopes and dreams, your love may appear as a weakness to some people. Society will also attempt to drag you in its direction. You will be influenced by dark and evil things.. can you still walk the path?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology