Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous #1

Does anyone remember when kids had to read?
    #27846099 - 07/02/22 07:38 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Like back in the 90s kids were given lots and lots of books as homework to read and read and read. The teachers still do that. But it seems like the parents just treat the kids like pussies and just give them video games and iPhones and shit. I don't really think kids understand the value of reading anymore like they used to.

Does anyone agree? Reading culture is entirely different than it used to be 20 or more years ago.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous #2

Re: Does anyone remember when kids had to read? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #27865606 - 07/17/22 12:29 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Tbh I don’t think reading is all that important.  If you have a cellphone, you could ask Siri questions.

Anonymous #3

#27865791 - 07/17/22 06:44 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Many fail to realize that uneducated and under informed individuals are easier to manipulate than people who know what's up and have an idea what time it is.

As "they" change history right in front of your eyes most will believe their bullshit and ridicule those who know and speak the truth.

Example: if you are born with a penis and testicles you are male, all the drugs and surgeries will never change that fact,  however there are now plenty of "professional" medical industry people that will tell you otherwise. To deny the factual truth of reality used to be considered a mental illness, but then again lobotomies used to be considered good medicine.  Think about that.

Anonymous #2

Re: Does anyone remember when kids had to read? [Re: Anonymous #3]
    #27865933 - 07/17/22 08:55 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

You’re usually assigned male if you have testicles.  I think as doctors listen more, they’ll be able to sense if a child with testicles is a girl or boy

Anonymous #4

Re: Does anyone remember when kids had to read? [Re: Anonymous #2] * 1
    #27865990 - 07/17/22 09:41 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

What the fuck

Anonymous #5

#27866033 - 07/17/22 10:36 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I think reading and problem solving are two very important skills that aren't encouraged enough with the newer generations.

Anonymous #6

Re: Does anyone remember when kids had to read? [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #27866635 - 07/17/22 06:04 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I dont think #3 has ever read a medical textbook or passed a human sexuality class.

Reading is good for you. Did you know that libraries will just give out books? To anyone?

Anonymous #7

#27866648 - 07/17/22 06:18 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

This thread went off the rails fast. Can't we even talk about books without it becoming about the latest hot political topics?

Books are like payphones: obsolete. They're dead and they're never coming back. Sure, they contain lots of good stuff and are good for kids, but there are other kinds of good media too. There's a difference between kids consuming mindless bullshit vs. watching Mr. Rogers or Sesame Street or nature documentaries or something. The death of books just means that we need to find good media for kids that can fill in that gap. This might mean we need to make higher quality media for kids, but it's not undoable.

Anonymous #6

Re: Does anyone remember when kids had to read? [Re: Anonymous #7] * 3
    #27866685 - 07/17/22 06:54 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Books are neither dead nor obsolete. Any serious scholar who actually knows shit about shit writes a paper, sometimes those papers get long enough to be turned into a book.

Stupid people make stupid kids by sitting them in front of screens, that was true in the 90s and it's true now.

Anonymous #5

Re: Does anyone remember when kids had to read? [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #27866805 - 07/17/22 08:40 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous #6 said:
Books are neither dead nor obsolete. Any serious scholar who actually knows shit about shit writes a paper, sometimes those papers get long enough to be turned into a book.

Stupid people make stupid kids by sitting them in front of screens, that was true in the 90s and it's true now.

:whathesaid:

Anonymous #7

Re: Does anyone remember when kids had to read? [Re: Anonymous #6] * 1
    #27866901 - 07/17/22 09:40 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Books are dead and obsolete. Pretty much all papers end up online these days, which anyone who knew shit about the industry would know. No one reads printed books, and it's common knowledge that book length academic shit has an audience of essentially zero. That's been true for decades, which again anyone who knew anything about the industry would know.

The publishing industry is selling fewer printed books today than at any time in its history. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but books are dead and only getting deader over time. Most people today will read fewer than one paper book per year. All of the statistics in the publishing industry are bad, with the exception of electronic forms of media.

Anonymous #3

#27867297 - 07/18/22 09:14 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I think I may have struck an uncomfortable nerve with #6 by stating the true facts of reality.

Just because you claim to be a kitty cat, dog, bird, or tree doesn't mean you are. Simple facts like being a certain species or having certain sexual reproductive organs cannot be challenged with any reasonable argument. You can pretend to be anything, but that is what is known as "make believe", not scientific fact. Sure you can dress and act however you want, I have no issue with that. You cannot attempt to force someone else to unwilling participate in your fantasy and claim a moral high ground tho, that is simply unwise. Which brings the conversation right back to the original post.

History is being changed right in front of your eyes and that wouldn't be so easy to do if children were taught the skills of deductive reasoning. The idea is to teach you just enough to be a good slave. If you do not realize this then you are a good slave.

Just because some dipshit in a white coat tells you something it doesn't mean it is true anymore than putting on a white coat means you can cook delicious food.

See what I did there?

:elmo:

Anonymous #4

#27867624 - 07/18/22 12:27 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I get it, they both wear similar uniforms

Anonymous #6

#27867690 - 07/18/22 01:22 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

We're arguing different things. I'm pointing out that writing and reading will continue to be important, no matter the format. You're making a point about physical books. Just say:
Quote:

Anonymous #7 said:
Books are Print media is dead and obsolete.

Newspapers are having a rough time, but lots of people still read physical books, I'm on my fourth one this year. Saying they're dead and obsolete is a bit overblown. Our online on a screen all the time culture is making us sick- having a paperback is a nice alternative to that, and it never runs out of battery.

Quote:

Is there a demand for books?

According to industry tracker NPD Bookscan, printed book sales have increased 13.2 percent from 2020 to 2021, and 21 percent from 2019 to 2021. “Usually a good year means going up maybe 3 or 4 percent,” says NPD books analyst Kristen McLean. “The growth that we saw last year and this year is pretty unprecedented.”

:shrug:

Quote:

Anonymous #3 said:
:blah:
See what I did there?

Did you get that opinion from a book or a youtube video? We get it, you hate trans people. Go make your own thread to rant in.

Anonymous #8

Re: Does anyone remember when kids had to read? [Re: Anonymous #7]
    #27868183 - 07/18/22 07:41 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous #7 said:
Books are dead and obsolete. Pretty much all papers end up online these days, which anyone who knew shit about the industry would know. No one reads printed books, and it's common knowledge that book length academic shit has an audience of essentially zero. That's been true for decades, which again anyone who knew anything about the industry would know.

The publishing industry is selling fewer printed books today than at any time in its history. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but books are dead and only getting deader over time. Most people today will read fewer than one paper book per year. All of the statistics in the publishing industry are bad, with the exception of electronic forms of media.

Probably true, though I will point out that printed media is still the primary method by which scientific advancements are made (e.g.,  publishing in journals).  Regardless, being able to generate text is an important skill given the role of email, online forums etc. 

Books may be dead, but its kind of sad.  Kids and young adults literally do not have the capacity to sit still for a couple hours, stfu and read a book with nothing but their mind generating the images.  I won't go so far as to say its horrendously detrimental, but its not great.  Avid reading is linked with a number of cognitive benefits.

Anonymous #9

#27869400 - 07/19/22 07:03 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous #1 said:
Like back in the 90s kids were given lots and lots of books as homework to read and read and read. The teachers still do that. But it seems like the parents just treat the kids like pussies and just give them video games and iPhones and shit. I don't really think kids understand the value of reading anymore like they used to.

Does anyone agree? Reading culture is entirely different than it used to be 20 or more years ago.

Reminds me of the song "sunscreen".

"And youll fantasize that when you were young.... prices were reasonable.... politicians were noble.... and children respected their elders."

We are all on repeat. We inevitably become that old man saying "IN MYYYYY Daaaaay. Used to walk uphill in the snow! Both ways!!!!"

Anonymous #5

Re: Does anyone remember when kids had to read? [Re: Anonymous #9]
    #27869404 - 07/19/22 07:07 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous #9 said:
Quote:

Anonymous #1 said:

Reminds me of the song "sunscreen".

"And youll fantasize that when you were young.... prices were reasonable.... politicians were noble.... and children respected their elders."

We are all on repeat. We inevitably become that old man saying "IN MYYYYY Daaaaay. Used to walk uphill in the snow! Both ways!!!!"

Fack! So, what you're saying is that I'm getting old? 🤔 :oldman::lol:

Anonymous #3

#27870171 - 07/20/22 10:50 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous #6 said:

Quote:

Anonymous #3 said:
See what I did there?

Did you get that opinion from a book or a youtube video? We get it, you hate trans people. Go make your own thread to rant in.

Mmmmm. I believe the assumption of hate when no text indicative of emotion was present anywhere in my post speaks much more to your emotions than mine.

The point I was attempting to make is that those who have the abilities to promote widespread agendas of how individuals should think, behave, and obtain information have set out to encourage individuals to be unwise.

For example just because a bit of text offends someone they lash out and accuse the person who typed it of hate instead of attempting to argue the topic.

Ad hominem arguments are only appropriate when the personal attack coincides and has relevance with the actual topic being discussed. You would know that if you had a proper amount of reading in your curriculum, but alas the powers that be have widely succeeded in creating an army of Dunning-Kruger zombies.

In case you are have trouble translating that into interweb speak, I am basically stating that due to the demeanor, cadence and overall tone of your posting in this thread, I have strong suspicions that you are a mindless shill for the machine.

Anonymous #9

#27871039 - 07/20/22 11:07 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous #3 said:
Quote:

Anonymous #6 said:

Quote:

Anonymous #3 said:
See what I did there?

Mmmmm. I believe the assumption of hate when no text indicative of emotion was present anywhere in my post speaks much more to your emotions than mine.

The point I was attempting to make is that those who have the abilities to promote widespread agendas of how individuals should think, behave, and obtain information have set out to encourage individuals to be unwise.

For example just because a bit of text offends someone they lash out and accuse the person who typed it of hate instead of attempting to argue the topic.

Ad hominem arguments are only appropriate when the personal attack coincides and has relevance with the actual topic being discussed. You would know that if you had a proper amount of reading in your curriculum, but alas the powers that be have widely succeeded in creating an army of Dunning-Kruger zombies.

In case you are have trouble translating that into interweb speak, I am basically stating that due to the demeanor, cadence and overall tone of your posting in this thread, I have strong suspicions that you are a mindless shill for the machine.

dunning kruger, ad hominem, and various other things like that have entered the normative space of communication in the last.... 10 years or so.

Youve also got strawman argument, projecting, goal post moving and a few others that arent popping into my head. Though I think "projecting" is the oldest one. Predates this event that started adding these other words into the typical mans lexicon.

I'm more than confident the guy youre arguing with has heard ad hominem a million times by now. And has likely heard dunning kruger a few times and knows what it means.

As to your point though? Yeah I agree with ya.

I think you should probably call a trans man a man if thats what they want. If calling them a woman hurts their feelings that probably makes you an asshole for doing it. But CERTAINLY it does not automatically mean you want them to kill themselves. Which is what this movement is arguing by saying youre using violent speech.

Its kinda interesting. All these points circling around the drain. All these examples all these methods of wording sentences..... it starts to be parroted by everyone making the argument. This "youre using violent speech" which stems from scientific papers that prove not using gender pronouns causes higher rates of suicides. And now EVERYONE argues this point as if its new information and not been seen a billion times.

And then youve got the scientific report done by the US military with the 60 trans people being compared to non trans people in their physical performance before and after using hormones to transition. And they all use that as scientific proof that trans women are the same as women physically and that they have no advantage. Even though its blatantly obvious they do have an advantage and the VERY STUDY THEY SITE shows a 12 percent increase running times. But because thats not a high enough number for them they just remove it from the convo.
The study only looked at muscle mass, running, situps, and pushups. And also wasnt even on top tier athletes. Which is what the whole point is lol.

And theres quite a few other arguments I've heard fifty times. And they always throw the points at you as if you are uneducated, ignorant, a bigot, and violent murder of trans people. The level of righteousness they feel must be amazing. If they could sell that feeling in a drug this forum would ONLY talk about that drug. All other drugs wouldnt compare. So its no wonder they keep on acting that way.

The best part is most of them will never lift a finger to help anyone in their lives. No time in soup kitchens. No traveling abroad helping displaced minorities. Maybe a few hundred or thousand bucks donated over the course of their lives.... but actually getting their hands dirty? Not a chance.

Meanwhile cunts like me are the devil to them. Cunts who actually went out there and got their fucking hands dirty. Its amazing when I'm called a racist. A man who has been all over the world in SCARY fucking places helping all types of people.

I'll tell these people that I've literally worked alongside social workers and healthcare workers for years and am covered with scars physically and mentally from it..... and they somehow STILL think im a racist bigot evil monster for DARING to contest that trans women are physically more capable than women.

That ONE MINOR detail off their belief system and i am the ANTICHRIST! BURN HIM!

Lol. I reckon dont worry about it. Fuck em. Theyll grow up one day.

Anonymous #3

Re: Does anyone remember when kids had to read? [Re: Anonymous #9]
    #27871081 - 07/21/22 12:07 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous #9 said:

Lol. I reckon dont worry about it. Fuck em. Theyll grow up one day.

I'm not worried, not in the least. Why? Worry only steals the joy of the moment and I won't participate.

Will they grow up? Hard to really say for sure.

If you believe the government, people are generally bad and need a bunch of laws and rules and people to violently enforce these laws and rules or humanity wouldn't survive. Sounds like some total bullshit the guy selling guns says to boost his sales, but most of these folks seem to believe whatever they are told. So long as they put it on the idiot box the idiots argue it as truth/fact all day long.

The most ironic part to me is that nowadays everyone has an idiot box in their pocket that is also the biggest library known in recorded history that is readily available to the general public and it seems obvious that at least some are not choosing wisely.

Do I know anything for certain? Very little.

I do know that the birth of wisdom in the individual is the realization that you know nothing.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies