Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineagentjrr
student
Loc: Mountain West
Paint Fumes
    #2783162 - 06/10/04 09:11 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Recently, I purchased some clear containers for casing. The first on I covered with aluminum foil to block light. On the others I used Krylon Fusion to paint the outside. Five days later I prepared a casing in one of the containers. I put it in the incubator and when I went to check it two days later the entire incubator reeked of paint fumes. Now, three days later the casing shows no colonization on the surface and the incubator continues to smell strongly of fumes. I had thought five days would be enough time to dry but I was wrong.

My question is, can I transplant the substrate into a new, un painted container. Or should I not bother. I know there would be a risk of contamination and it would set the casing back to square one. But at his point I think it may be kind of screwed anyway, the fumes may have permeated the casing and killed off the mycelia. I just hate to not give it one last try before chucking 3 pints of grain.

Has anyone out there done such a transfer, if so what kind of results did you have?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Paint Fumes [Re: agentjrr]
    #2783184 - 06/10/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I'd move em. Don't paint clear containers. If they stall you can take them out of the foil and look for contams saving yourself tons of time and saving a major cleaning by getting rid of a contamed casing before the contams hit the surface and spread. The foiled containers work fine.

Ok, I admit it, I'm getting even layzer cause I don't even bother to cover them with foil anymore.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineagentjrr
student
Re: Paint Fumes [Re: Magash]
    #2783214 - 06/10/04 09:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the quick reply. Should I bother trying to move it as a colonized mass (it's going into an identical container) and reapply the casing layer, or just start from scratch and move it in chunks and rebuild an even substrate layer in the new container? I'm leaning toward the latter.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2783230 - 06/10/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Try moving it as a whole. Way less chance of contaming it.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2783490 - 06/10/04 11:23 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

spray on paints, including in the automotive pains take a while to flash off (evaporate the VOCs)... usualy from 3-12 weeks depending on the type and brand of paints...

if you search google for the words "Krylon" and "Flash times" or "Flashing off" it should turn up info including stuff on proper plastic prep... even though there is a flex agent added the Krylon will flake off pretty quickly of you dont use a cleaning solvent....

as magash stated, its best to use foil or to try and find some that are already black... grocery stores deli and meats departments are a good source... Glad oven ware is also a great product... clean it and you can re use it many times... I paid $3.50 for 2....

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Paint Fumes [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2783709 - 06/11/04 01:09 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hmm, I always used flat black paint on my containers. The cheapest stuff I can get too. Never had a problem. I tried the Krylon fusion stuff, and it was overpriced crap. Flat black paint dries very fast in comparison to other paints. I paint mine before I make the casings so in the time it takes to colonize, the paint has been well cured. I don't notice any fumes...

I used to use the gladware and ziplock containers, both the 4x4 ones and the 4x6. They worked well for me, but they are a bit pricey and small. Now I head to the great Wal-mart and get 6qt sterilite containers for $0.78 each. A can of paint for less than $1 and I can paint about 3 of them. It works great for me...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Paint Fumes [Re: ATWAR]
    #2783791 - 06/11/04 02:52 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I like magashs' point that if you dont paint it you can check for contams if your casing stalls. Just my opinion though. As you can see by his pics it doesn't really make too big of a difference in the flushs.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Paint Fumes [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #2783854 - 06/11/04 03:42 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I agree using foil to cover the clear containers is an excellent method to watch for contamination and proper colonization. I have tried this before when I was too lazy to paint them (or forgot to buy paint). I also thought it would be much easier than painting them, and somewhat cheaper. I had problems with the casings pinning on the sides when they pulled away, most likely due to the reflective properties of the aluminum. Normally I would apply casing material down the sides of casings that shrink during growth, but sometimes it is only slight. I would then need to force casing material down with a tool to fill the gap, something I do not like to do as it takes too much time, and is a possible vector for future contamination.

This lead me to continue using flat black paint for its non-reflective properties, and fast drying times. While it would be nice to be able to peer inside to watch for contamination, there are other clues to problems with the casing other than visual confirmation of contamination. Not only that, but 90% of all casing contaminants that I have encountered started on the surface (with the other 10% being either introduced by accident, or through improper pasteurization and spawning procedures). The flat black paint practically eliminated the pinning problem in comparison to the foil, and I don't need to worry about filling the gap until it gets large enough to pour vermiculite into the void...

I think it would be good for new/inexperienced growers, or those who cannot maintain a clean environment or spawning area. But personally I prefer my mushrooms to form on the casing surface so I don't need to grab the tweezers when I pick them. The ones that form deep down in the gap can be a real pain to get out whole, without leaving remnants of the stem behind (especially aborts).

To each his/her own...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#2783881 - 06/11/04 04:00 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

What about maybe just black construction paper, or black electician tape maybe. Hrmm. just a thought.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2783913 - 06/11/04 04:26 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Black construction paper I could see as a problem in a high humidity environment (possible source for contamination, especially black mildew, which you wouldn't be able to spot). But electrical tape would work. Although I would hate to tape up a whole container with little 1/2" strips, lol...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#2783917 - 06/11/04 04:37 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

rofl....i like to really tedious shit when im stoned....so i guess i would look at it as something to do when bored. Didn't think about the contam and soggy problem with the contruction paper. Maybe use black tarp or thick garbage bags.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2783922 - 06/11/04 04:45 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
i like to really tedious shit when im stoned....

:lol:

As do I. It's not that I like to do it when im stoned, I just like to be stoned period...
I think that is why the 10% of the aforementioned contamination problems developed. Perhaps if I wasn't fried all the time it may have dropped to 1%...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#2783928 - 06/11/04 04:54 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

ROFL...true true, im a messy guy. I rack that up to my contam problems when they happen.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2783943 - 06/11/04 05:01 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Oh yeah, back on topic...

I think the black plastic (garbage bag) would be excellent. Tape it on, and your good to go. I may do that on future casings so when I reuse them I can remove it to watch colonization...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#2783954 - 06/11/04 05:27 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I think ill have to try it o once i get up and going again, waitin for some spores that matts sendin me

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineCooltuba
Mycostudent
 User Gallery

Loc: Home
    #2784665 - 06/11/04 11:32 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Two words: duct tape. It works great, and it's 3 times as wide as electrical tape, so it won't take too long to tape up. I've used black electrical tape and it works well, but it does take a long-ass time, and goes through a lot of tape.

--Cooltuba

--------------------
Above musings are entirely fictional.  I do not grow mushrooms nor do I associate with anyone who does.

DRUGS ARE BAD!  MMMMKAY?

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #2785583 - 06/11/04 03:38 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
rofl....i like to really tedious shit when im stoned....so i guess i would look at it as something to do when bored.

tweaker

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: Paint Fumes [Re: mycoguy]
    #2786556 - 06/11/04 10:40 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Ha it says stoned but that would make more sense,
I use hockey tape and duct tape, both work fine. I would not try construction paper

Offlinetrippysmurf
Smurfette'sSugar Daddy

#2787424 - 06/12/04 10:16 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

duct tape is a man's best friend. Although this particular man used professional strength, cause it's thicker and stronger (so she says)

--------------------
I like your Christ, but I do not like Christians - they are so unlike Christ. -Gandhi

Offlineagentjrr
student
Re: Paint Fumes [Re: trippysmurf]
    #2789015 - 06/12/04 11:42 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I think I've settled on on the foil, I constructed another casing yesterday and using a clear container let me see clearly how thick each layer was. Then covering with foil took less than a minute. The point about problems with pinning on the sides may be well founded. I'll have to watch for it when I have something pin in a foil wrapped container. Although I never had a problem with it in the aluminum baking trays I was using, and they would reflect light almost as well as foil.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags