Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineacidis
Sik Sub man...
Melbourne - Active But Strange Specimens!!!
    #2783840 - 06/11/04 05:34 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I found an interesting patch of subs (if thats what they are?) the other week. I have finaly got around to taking some photos of the more interesting features.

*The gill structure apears to never develop fully on most secimens
*A few of the older mature ones are convex unlike most subs (not all from my experience)
*Growing on normal substrate (wood chips)
*Bruise blue as per normal
*VERY firm caps on all specimens
*None over 1.5 cm across (the patch contained mushrooms in all stages of developement and they get mushy and black and decompose without growing any biger. I have watched it for about 1 month now to see if it was the weather causing them to die before maturity but aparently not)

Here are some photos:

Has anyone seen anything like these?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOOISI
Nothingness
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.Australia
Re: Melbourne - Active But Strange Specimens!!! [Re: acidis]
    #2783868 - 06/11/04 05:50 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

they are some damn weird shrooms!

and those gill shots ... crazy!

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

#2783874 - 06/11/04 05:57 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Great pics acidus...
Where are you from (Oz or Noo-zulland, and what state ?)
Those traits you describe are not too unusual for Melbourne subs this season for example (the variation even within patches never ceases to amaze me), and probably have to do with hydration and direct sunshine levels, and possibly substrate (ie. chemical composition thereof, or species of the woodchips etc). They are definately active, and most probably subs. That's all I'm game to say without knowing what country you're from (I suspect Melbourne Australia, going just on the pics).
PS. looks like they'll be STRONG. Soz if I'm 'preaching to the converted' here, but take it easy with them, especially at first/ until you've gaged their potency. Also, if you're from Oz or Noo zulland, post the pics in the 'Oz/ Noo-zulland finds' thread... they're really good pics.

--------------------
Peace, love and organic brown rice...

Offline7777
The one
    #2783878 - 06/11/04 05:59 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Those arent subs, The look like hygrphorus family.

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

Re: Melbourne - Active But Strange Specimens!!! [Re: 7777]
    #2783884 - 06/11/04 06:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm happy to stand corrected, but to me they look more like subs than hygrOphorus... more opinions required it seems, and erm oops, just registered the title of the thread... Melbourne. Sorry I asked for location/ state !

Edited by suboriginal (06/11/04 06:13 AM)

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

#2783905 - 06/11/04 06:17 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The gills do look overly orange for subs, but note that there's an orange tint to the dudes FINGERS in shots 1 and 2, as well as the CARPET in shot 3, and the CLOTH(?) in shot 4; I suspect it's a camera/ exposure/ (flash?) effect making 'everything' look more orange than it really is; are both of those surfaces the shroom is resting on in pics 3 and 4 actually orange acidis ? or 'white/ grey' ?

--------------------

Offlineacidis
Sik Sub man...
Re: Melbourne - Active But Strange Specimens!!! [Re: suboriginal]
    #2783908 - 06/11/04 06:21 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I have been picking in _Melbourne Australia_ for 4 years now. I have seen these before, they are active 7777 and they are subs or australian or eucalyptia. I would like opinions on that.

As for potency Im aware of the issues. I dosed a 5.5 gram trip of subs the first time I tried them and have ever since had a deap respect for thier potency.

They have been found growing under eucalytus trees on wood chips out of sunlight in constant shade and a nice moist area (stays moist even when most other places dry up)

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

#2783914 - 06/11/04 06:33 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Seems to me they are 'stunted' subs. They appear to go through the full 'maturation' (ie. end up convex), without attaining full height. Again, I have seen this often this season, in multiple patches, and I'm not sure on the reason for it. Can't be dehydration that's 'stunting' them (limiting them to small height), given your habitat description, so it must be sommat else. Perhaps the substrate is not very plentiful re the required nutrients, such that the nutrients are depleted before the shroom reaches it's max' potential height... they don't then die, cause there's still plenty of water around, they just stop getting bigger, and go through the usual fruiting body 'cycle' (end up convex) using stored reserves. Just a thought.

--------------------

Offlineacidis
Sik Sub man...
    #2783923 - 06/11/04 06:47 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The orange is coming from the light fixtures which have orange glass lampshade type thingos. The cloth is actualy newspaper (that should give you an idea of the size of these things, as you can see the printer matrix in the newpaper!!) which is a cream colour in real life so yes there is a small amount of tinting due to the ambient lighting.

I considered the lack of nutrient thing but that has got me stumped as well. Mainly due to a patch near by (right next to this one) that have pins the size of full grown specimens from the above photos. Its quite confusing. The only thing Im sure of at this stage is that they are active.

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

Similar... [Re: suboriginal]
    #2783929 - 06/11/04 06:54 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Here's some subs from a patch I found recently in Melbs Acidis, that look similar to yours... I revisited periodically/ watched a few of them go through to maturity (nearly convex), and they stayed small all the while (under 5cm)... note the 'curly' stem (like yours, a bit unusual for subbies), and the really deep yellow gills/ flesh, and the striking bluing (like yours).

And a decent 'stone's throw' away from these, were more 'normal' looking subs, some about 9 or 10 cm tall even while obviously still pretty immature...

I'd imagine the chemical composition of the substrate can vary dramatically even just a few metres away, could depend on, for example the species of leaves (ie. the tree they're under) that fall around them and leach stuff into the 'soil'/ substrate... so maybe it's not so much nutrient levels, but levels of chemicals that are unfavourable to the shrooms that is responsible... again, just a thought. Glad to hear you're experienced/ seem to know what your doing/ have the right (cautious) attitude btw...

--------------------

Offlineacidis
Sik Sub man...
    #2783930 - 06/11/04 06:55 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the compliment on the photos too. I have many photos if people are interested. I reduced the resulution dramaticaly as they were at 1920xSOMETHING so way to big. If anyone wants to see them just yell but they would be large.

Oh if you want to see my other photos I post them on my computer at http://mycelia.no-ip.org/~lgdev1/ its just a bit slow as I only have 256 kbit upstream. Just have to be patient :wink:

Edited by acidis (06/11/04 07:49 AM)

Offlineacidis
Sik Sub man...
    #2783942 - 06/11/04 07:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

yeah they are remarkably similar. The gill structure is a little more defined in the bottom photo for its reletive maturity. I seriously didnt find one with a cap over 1.5 CM though!! Im going to take photos of the patch tomorrow. (South Eastern suburbs)

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

#2783947 - 06/11/04 07:10 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If you haven't already, I reckon you should add a post to the main 'Oz/ Noo-zulland finds' thread, and add your pics to the same post (via edit) periodically as upload limits allow... I'd like that thread to be a depiction of the huge variability in morphology that subaeruginosa is capable of, and the more good/ diverse pics posted there from different locations the better...

--------------------

Offlineacidis
Sik Sub man...
    #2783958 - 06/11/04 07:32 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

OK I will do, tomorow as Im smacked out on codiene at the moment and far to comfy for complicated online shenadigens. haha =)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification