Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSillyWilly
How hard is it to be accepted to Julliard?
    #2783663 - 06/11/04 02:42 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hi, I am an aspiring musician and looking to go to a music school to develop my skills. I know Julliard is like one of the top music-art schools and was looking to apply but dont know if I am good eneouph t get in. I can play some decent rags like Maple leaf and chopins preludes etc. on the piano but still am far away from an accomplished musician. I was wondering if anybody knew how good you gotta be to get in. The audition is in May and I am going to continue to practice till then but I'm wondering if Im wasting my time. How good do you gotta be?
Thanks, SillyWilly

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: How hard is it to be accepted to Julliard? [Re: SillyWilly]
    #2783682 - 06/11/04 02:57 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I heard that shit's tough, like many are called but few are chosen, you dig?

but seriously, dude. you don't need julliard to be a good musician. If the offer you an opportunity, take it, but if you're that good you don't need them anyway.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Invisiblelearning_byte
click here

#2792489 - 06/14/04 03:16 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I have two friends that I know that auditioned, one of them went there, this kid that got accepted played piano and etc, since he was 4 or something like that, (dad is a profesional musician) and he was a composer and shit really young
, now my other friend that didnt get accepted is one of the sickest guitar player i know, totally talented, his music was sick, and covers he could play anything, but he got turned down, and he also wrote music and stuff . So i would say if you want to get there and have the potential try. But it is not easy.

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2792506 - 06/14/04 03:26 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

How liberal are you in your music? I too, was once on that path, but each of my music teachers told me I was too liberal for Juliard. They have a very traditional, set in their way, kind of look on music...hard to grow individually from what I hear. There are only a few hundred people that are at the school at a time, and from what I heard from other musicians, they are quite select (only 2 sopranos per year accepted!). I was a violist, so the need wasn't as great. Check it out, but I suggest the Peabody Institute in Baltimore or Oberlin Conservatory in Indiana. Good luck!

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #2793257 - 06/14/04 08:40 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm familiar with what you can play,
and no offense--because that's about as much as I can play--
but yeah, I think you are aiming way too high.
Juliard is one of the top music-art school in the country for a reason. They are extremely picky, and you really have to already know an extraordinary amount about your instrument and have a huge amount of natural talent before they'd even consider...unfortunately.

You gotta be Damn Good. Basically like try to sight-read a Lizst piano piece, or sight read a paganini violin piece, that's how good you gotta be.

Try other music schools, there are a ton that aren't as traditional and picky, but are good nonetheless. Or just try a state school's music program. I'm at U of A, and the music program is excellent :smile:

Good luck my friend

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2793265 - 06/14/04 08:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, a place like juliard will mainly teach you how to be a studio musician. They will not teach you how to create. Mainly they will just teach you 'proper technique'. Its a school for performers, not creators.

very few, if any, of my favorite musicians have attended juliard.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflineMisterKite
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montreal, QC
    #2793435 - 06/15/04 12:23 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

berkley school of music isn't too hard to get into, and that is a terrific place to study. juliard is like the harvard of the arts.

--------------------
"But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy."

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: How hard is it to be accepted to Julliard? [Re: MisterKite]
    #2793540 - 06/15/04 01:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Err I would say Berklee is a different kind of music school than Juliard, not quite as traditional and performance-focused. But I wouldn't say that it isn't too hard to get into.

Berklee is also difficult to get into. It's a top school when it comes to music, and it is VERY demanding when attending. Basically, think Med School, but practicing, playing, writing music. That's all you do 12 hours a day is work on music, you have literally no time to do anything else but sleep and eat.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

OfflineSillyWilly
Re: How hard is it to be accepted to Julliard? [Re: Blastrid]
    #2793785 - 06/15/04 02:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the insight and being straight forward with me. Its kind of weird how they would only accept people that are so good. I mean, if I already was an accomplished pianist, I wouldnt need or want to go to school. I know Im not excellent....but thats why I want to go to school. I heard you guys mention Berklee...maybe Ill audition there. I am looking to actually write music rather than just sight read. But people tell me if I develop my skills in theory and technique, my creative writing skills will develop as well. I am pretty liberal but am able to focus on a program if need be....That traditiaional word doesnt sound to inviting. What kind of music os traditional..? What schools would be good for evolving as an individual musician?
Thanks, Sillywilly

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

#2793921 - 06/15/04 04:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Traditional music I guess I would use to refer to studying the main Periods of music: Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Contemporary. And playing music by famous composers, etc.

It really is amazing once you start studying music how deep it really is. You can be playing piano since you were four, and still not know everything.  Technique-wise, literature-wise (which breeds technique)...there's just SO much. 

How deep are you into music theory, and how much would you say you know re: piano?
I'm a music student as well. I started playing piano young, but quit after like 10 years. I study guitar and theory in school, I'd love to talk music theory with ya :wink:

Look around www.berklee.edu and some of its equals requirements and course examples.  See if you're personally ready for that level. If ya are, i'm fuckin jealous and you gotta tell me more about it. :smile:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2797834 - 06/16/04 04:04 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I studied under a professor from Juliard, but I didn't want to go to the school because I did not want to pursue a career in music.

If I see you in Berkeley, welcome.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: How hard is it to be accepted to Julliard? [Re: daba]
    #2804658 - 06/18/04 07:15 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Julliard is a school for the exceptionally talented and dedicated. If you go there you would have to be prepared to do an absolute minimum of 5 hours practice a day, most people will do 8-10.

I'm a cellist studying at a smaller (but still very good) college. I got accepted for big colleges in London, but for a variety of reasons I didn't go, and I'm so glad I didn't.

I've got friends who went there, and I'd say it's roughly 50/50 whether it will totally ruin you as a player or really make you shine. The competitiveness and rivalry is unreal and in some ways it's a bit withdrawn from the real world. I know someone who was never bothered by nerves when playing, one of the best musicians I've ever met, and now they get scared of playing in orchestra, let alone solo. It's horrible. The pressure is just ridiculous.

Also, opportunities are much less. I get so many gigs, I can earn a minimum of ?60 for an hour playing at a wedding or something, and I can get virtually one a week. That's good student money! And also it's invaluable performing experience. At big colleges, (a) there's so many brilliant people performing opportunities are rare, and (b) there's so much pressure on you to work that you might find yourself practicing in a room all day.

Basically, you get out what you put in. There's no reason why you can't go to a smaller place, work real hard but have a more relaxing, enjoyable life, and emerge as good as or even better than people who went to big name places. Another complaint I often hear is that the teachers in those big colleges are such natural, brilliant performers that they're not so good at teaching; because they can do it all with ease, it's harder for them to instruct someone else how to do it.

Big-name colleges are for a certain type of person. While I may have really enjoyed and excelled in that environment, I'm sure glad I stuck with what I thought I felt I wanted. There's so much more freedom and opportunities; like jazz guitar second study!  :thumbup:

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: How hard is it to be accepted to Julliard? [Re: mr_kite]
    #2805160 - 06/18/04 12:50 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Good Points :smile:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

OfflineHeavenlyBlue
Stranger

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Re: How hard is it to be accepted to Julliard? [Re: Blastrid]
    #2808094 - 06/19/04 04:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

My mom went to Julliard and she is an absolutely AMAZING singer! Like she's is just top of the line, she used to do lots of stuff at the Montreal Jazz Festival and stuff like that. My aunt went to Berklee and my grandma was also a professional opera singer.

I'm planning on going to Berklee or North Texas if I can make it, there's a few good schools in California and there's even some decent ones here in Canada.

Julliard is the most posh, hardcore music school you can go to and it is just tough, they are EXTREMELY traditional and I think pretty much if you don't like classical, you're gone. I play jazz so I wouldn't even try for Julliard (not to say I could make it, although it should be within reach in 2-3 years or so)

Not to discourage you or anything, but you won't get into Julliard playing Chopin preludes, lots of colleges have good music programs and stuff like that, that's the best way to start.

OfflineHeavenlyBlue
Stranger

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
    #2808105 - 06/19/04 04:12 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

A prelude and fugue from The Well-Tempered Clavier or another work of Bach containing a fugue. (No transcriptions are permitted.)
An entire sonata by Beethoven excluding Opp. 14, 49, and 79, or the Haydn Sonata in Eb Major, Hob. XVI:52, or the Mozart Sonata in D Major, K. 576, or one of the following Schubert sonatas: C Major, Op. 78; A Minor, Op. 143; A Minor, Op. 42; D Major, Op. 53, or one of the three posthumous sonatas, or the Wanderer Fantasie .
A substantial composition by Chopin, Schumann, Brahms, Liszt, or Mendelssohn. (Etudes, nocturnes, short dances or comparable pieces are not acceptable.)
A work by a representative 20th-century composer.
One virtuosic etude by Bart?k, Chopin, Debussy, Liszt, Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin, or Stravinsky.

That's what you have to do at your audition, just to give you an idea, all by memory and all perfect. Jazz studies isn't quite as hard there, but for Classical stuff, especially piano and vocal studies I think are the two hardest.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: How hard is it to be accepted to Julliard? [Re: HeavenlyBlue]
    #2811451 - 06/20/04 05:48 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Interesting piece information (well I thought so anyway), though not completely related to the start of this thread. I was told that bela fleck was the first and possible only musician to graduate from the julliard school of music having majored in banjo...not sure how true it is, though I feel it's quite possibly true, but it made me smile anyway.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Edited by Hooty (06/20/04 05:50 PM)

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: How hard is it to be accepted to Julliard? [Re: Hooty]
    #2811986 - 06/20/04 10:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I think it's directly related.

The topic is 'how hard is it to be accepted to Juliard?'

His post has a list of pieces you must know by memory for your audition for Juliard.  Literally explaining what kind of level a musician you must be to be accepted.

As for the Bela Fleck tidbit, hehehe that makes me smile too :smile:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media