Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShift
qwerty
RGS Prep
    #2783391 - 06/11/04 12:52 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm having a hard time prepearing some rye grass seed for use with P. Mex strain A.

Here's what i did:

I tried to pre soak the RGS like I do w/ WBS. Took them out when pressure got to 0 and tried to shake them. The grain was extreemly sticky and I couldn't shake it for shit. I managed to russel the seed around a bit, but it is not very homogenious. This stuff was much harder to breakup than a colonized quart of WBS.

I then heard that soaking wasn't enough to fully hydrate rgs so I started over.

The second time around I pretty much followed the tek f/ mushmush.nl : Filled some qts w/ 2:1 (volume) seed to water ratio. The seed was straight f/ the bag, no rinsing or soaking.

I made up the jars and cooked them and they turned out just as sticky as the others. Lookin slimey and shit.

In reading all the teks, i never heard of RGS being such a pain. Did I mess up somewhere? or is this stickyness normal?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: RGS Prep [Re: Shift]
    #2783509 - 06/11/04 01:30 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

RGS jars are very hard to impossible to shake when theys have the right(=high) water content.
Therefore a liquid inoculation with mycelium water is the way to go. Or use spawn bags filled only 1/3 or so, this way they can allways be shaken.

OfflineShift
qwerty
Re: RGS Prep [Re: Anno]
    #2783567 - 06/11/04 01:51 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Good stuff, I Think I might re make the jars one more time since my shaking prolly left a bunch of that stickey goo on my jar filters.

If these things are gonna be sitting around for a few months I should minimize the amount of nutes on my filters.

"RGS jars are very hard to impossible to shake when theys have the right(=high) water content."

Maybe this fact should be noted somwhere in the tek(s)? I read a bunch of different ones and none mentioned this. Had I known this beforehand, I would have saved a few hours of work.

Thanks Anno :smile:

*edit: just to clarify, you're saying that when doing RGS in jars, you shouldn't shake at all, right?

Edited by Shift (06/11/04 01:57 AM)

OfflineShift
qwerty
    #2783644 - 06/11/04 02:29 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Another question:

If there is to be no shaking, what is the best way to get a homogenious mix in a jar?

It seems that simply dumping water and seed in the jar and PCing leaves the seed on top high and dry.

I was thinking of maybe soaking them overnight and then puting the wet seed in the jars and then adding some extra water to account for the fact that soaking RGS is not enough. I would have to figure out how much additional water to add. The last time I Soaked RGS, I determined its post soak moisture content by weighing, drying and re-weighing. That could be helpful for figuring how much water to add to the pre soaked seed.

Does anyone know of better way to prep well mixed RGS jars so that I dont have to break out my calculator and do all this math?

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #2784832 - 06/11/04 02:34 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Fuck I HATE RGS I never got that stuff to work right.. And WBS works perfect everytime no problems ever..

OfflineShift
qwerty
Re: RGS Prep [Re: Legoulash]
    #2785124 - 06/11/04 03:59 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It does seem to be a pain, but I hear it's the best sub for sclerotia formaion. WBS doesnt work so well for that.

OfflineShift
qwerty
    #2787505 - 06/12/04 12:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Anyone? :shrug:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #2788370 - 06/12/04 07:37 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Rye grass seed is tricky to work with, but in my opinion, it's the best grain to use for making grain masters, and grain to grain transfers. The small size of the grain, means there is much more surface area available for the mycelium to colonize, therefore much more mycelium will grow in a given size jar. It's a pain in the butt to work with, but this is the tek I've developed over the years.

1. Don't presoak or precook.
2. Mix as you did, twice as much grass seed as liquid in your jars. For use in quart jars, use 3/4 cup grass seed, and 1 1/2 cups liquid. Use coffee at 1/2 the strength you would drink it, to mix with the grass seed. Coffee/caffeine greatly inhances sclerotia production.
3. Add a pinch of gypsum to each jar. (very important)
4. Put a solid lid on the jar, and shake the devil out of it.
5. Allow to sit for an hour, and shake very well again.
6. Remove the solid lid, and replace with a lid with two 1/8"(1mm) holes, and a synthetic filter disk. Note: Don't use plastic lids. Use the metal lids and rings that come with mason jars, and place the filter on the outside of the jar. If the filter is exposed to the rye grass seed, it will become wet, and bacteria will colonize right through the filter. The filter MUST remain dry.
7. PC at 15 lbs for 90 minutes.
8. Allow the PC to cool naturally for one hour after pressure returns to zero. Don't do anything to speed up the pressure release, such as lifting the weight.
9. After one hour, the jars will still be very hot. Remove from pc with gloves, and shake very well. They will shake easily if you bang them against a bicycle tire. I air up my bike tires until they're very hard, then use that to beat the jars against.
10. Allow the jars to cool, inoculate and shake again.

Now. All that being said, my experience is that rye berries are a better sclerotia producing grain than rye grass seed. Also, expose the colonizing jars of sclerotia to light on a shelf in a normal room. The below pictures are a comparison of rye grass seed to rye berries. Both sets of jars were inoculated with the same isolated strain at the same time. The rye grain jars are clearly ahead of the grass seed jars.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation