Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: Ashtray161]
    #27822605 - 06/16/22 01:41 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Warning accepted. Spamblockers activated. You can still infer the meaning by reading the questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_thinking

In what I would call parallel dimensions,  different, hypothetical outcomes have a geographic orientation, as on a map or boardgame. The 'third way' is literally lateral. It's a different path you can take on a walk.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBigwormS
Male User Gallery

Loc: Murica
Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: durian_2008]
    #27822802 - 06/16/22 03:17 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

That was a fun survey. Hopefully you get the results you're looking for.

Offlinemircea
Stranger
Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: oe_crf]
    #27823605 - 06/17/22 04:08 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

"Centre for Alcohol and Drug Research"

"Alcohol and drugs"? What is alcohol if not a particularly harmful drug?

You are almost certainly aware that one of the uses of psilocybin is in overcoming alcohol addiction.

Offlineoe_crf
Stranger
Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: mircea]
    #27823629 - 06/17/22 04:37 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mircea said:

You are almost certainly aware that one of the uses of psilocybin is in overcoming alcohol addiction.

Hi, thanks for the comment! It's an interesting observation, and yes - I guess you could say that our research centre's English name is somewhat unfortunate in this context. The original Danish name is "Center for Rusmiddelforskning", which roughly translates into "Centre for Intoxicant Research". The word "rusmiddel", however, does not have the "toxic" connotation of "intoxicant". Breaking down the components of the word, "rus" is a high/rush and "middel" is a means to something. I don't know the exact history of our Danish and English names, but I can imagine they were chosen to align with existing terminology and distinctions between research areas in Denmark/internationally.

I definitely agree (as do most researchers in this field) that any "alcohol vs drugs"-distinction has very little (if anything) to do with pharmacology and a lot (if not everything) to do with legislation, cultural attitudes, stigma, etc.

Offlinemircea
Stranger
    #27823648 - 06/17/22 05:16 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

oe_crf said:

It might have made sense to ask about: How long have you been using psychedelics. Also: do you engage in other contemplative practices such as meditation?

Also, there was the question about: should psychedelics only be used in therapeutic settings? / should psychedelics only be used in ceremonies?

I am very much in favour of both. But the two questions seem to be mutually exclusive, because of the word "only". So I checked "neither agree nor disagree"

Same about legalisation. I think, there should be some form of regulation. Shrooms and LSD should definitely not be limited to therapeutic use. Yet, measures should be taken to minimise risks of improper/harmful use (leading to psychosis etc). But the questionnaire only let me vote on the option of whether or not I want total unrestricted availability.

personally, I have only begun to discover psychedelics in my late 40s, and I think that risks of something going severely wrong are much higher the younger you are. So there needs to be some regulation, maybe in form of a "drivers license" for psychedelics as Rick Doblin proposes.

Offlineoe_crf
Stranger
    #27823696 - 06/17/22 06:21 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mircea said:

Thanks for the feedback! We're gonna take these and other helpful perspectives from this thread into account when interpreting the results.

InvisibleHomelessSorcerer
Male

#27823756 - 06/17/22 08:05 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

To me psychedelics represent psychological possibilities.

My dream trip would be one on account of which my longest standing - longest gestating - creative ideas take a profound step towards realization.

Edited by HomelessSorcerer (06/17/22 08:06 AM)

OfflineB Traven
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Megalopolis
Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: oe_crf] * 1
    #27824941 - 06/17/22 09:03 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I think knowledge and education go a very long way.

I heard from a young age that smoking weed all the time in adolescence was a bad idea. I still smoked weed from a relatively young age, but avoided becoming a regular smoker because of those warnings and attitudes- not just that weed was bad, but that it was not a good thing to go overboard with in adolescence.

Conversely, I was socialized to view alcohol very differently, and have struggled to limit my drinking throughout my life as a result- even though I've always vastly preferred weed.

I was also super into psychedelics from early adolescence, and actually did a huge amount of reading up on them as well. At that time, the available literature really didn't address the risks of psychotic reactions, triggering schizophrenia in young people, etc. Those were all things I had to learn through a combination of observation and first-hand experience.

I think that especially in the case of psychedelics, which often have a tendency to be either deified, touted as a cure-all, or demonized, solid information about the risks and benefits, especially to younger people, is essential to developing balanced approaches to their use.

At the end of the day, though, I don't particularly regret dropping acid in my early teens. Certainly beat taking up cigarette smoking.

While it's true that risks decrease with age, I think that this is part of the much bigger question of how the fuck to define and handle full-blown adulthood in the modern world.

Edited by B Traven (06/17/22 09:05 PM)

InvisibleHomelessSorcerer
Male

Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: B Traven]
    #27824948 - 06/17/22 09:11 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Nice post:thumbup:

OfflineLatch
Stranger
    #27824978 - 06/17/22 09:29 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Good survey, thanks for researching this stuff, hopefully with enough research we can change public opinion and make steps to make recreational and medicinal medicine's safe and accessible for anybody.

Offlinehigh_desert
Pipe and Paper Afternoon
 User Gallery

Loc: Hidden Study
Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: Orioncat]
    #27827484 - 06/19/22 04:02 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Orioncat said:
Quote:

hazyhorse said:
On the questions about bad trips. i would certainly avoid talking to cops on mushrooms but i wouldn’t shy away from crying or thinking deeply about something troubling me

Something that I might add further: I don't like using the term "bad trip" because of some of the baggage it brings with it. I think a more accurate term is challenging trip. I've had plenty of challenging trips resulting in sadness, fear, crying, and even feelings of hopelessness. I have yet to refer to any of those experiences as bad though. According to the researchers at Johns Hopkins, even when subjects experienced a challenging trip, most of the time they still benefited from it in the end.

Not often, but sometimes I will go into a trip knowing it will be a challenge. I dread it in the beginning because I know it's going to work me over but I know in the end the catharsis it brings will be beautiful and therapeutic.

Never a bad trip, only a challenging one.

I agree with this. I've had nightmarish experiences with lsd and I still don't think of them as negative and they never really put me off of it. Rather I see it like opening the hood on my subconscious as it processes traumatic things happening in my life.

OfflineDEZn00ts
The Wizard of The Midwest
Male

Loc: Anus, Cantaffordit
    #27827612 - 06/19/22 05:43 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mircea said:

I was actually able to not compulsively drink this fathers day and I say the shrooms did it.

I tripped the other day (Friday night) for the first time in 6 years and for the first time in a LONGER amount of years I was able to stop myself from bing drinking on a day like this. Honestly I thank GOD for shrooms.

--------------------

"it's genetic. Asians are better at math if born in America or Asia. Black people run faster born in Africa or America. White people are still more racist no matter where they were born either. it's genetic." -bodhisatta

OfflineMrBlueshrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: down in a hole
Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: DEZn00ts]
    #27827637 - 06/19/22 06:08 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I used shrooms to quit drinking too. 14 months sober!

InvisibleMaritime Funguy
Not a real Dr.
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: MrBlueshrooms]
    #27827735 - 06/19/22 07:24 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Interesting survery! Psychedelic = mind manifesting... They help us get out of our own way, by going out of our regular mind

--------------------

Offlineoe_crf
Stranger
Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: Maritime Funguy]
    #27828106 - 06/20/22 01:32 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Thanks again to everyone who is contributing by taking the survey or posting in this thread!

It's great to see that this is continuing to generate interesting reflections/discussions, and that we keep getting new survey responses each day.

(Note: Just be to totally clear, we are not treating this thread as data and we will not reproduce any user names or quotes from this thread in publications or other study outputs - so please continue to feel free to share your thoughts here or in private messages.)

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
    #27828816 - 06/20/22 02:31 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

oe_crf said:
Thanks again to everyone who is contributing by taking the survey or posting in this thread!

It's great to see that this is continuing to generate interesting reflections/discussions, and that we keep getting new survey responses each day.

(Note: Just be to totally clear, we are not treating this thread as data and we will not reproduce any user names or quotes from this thread in publications or other study outputs - so please continue to feel free to share your thoughts here or in private messages.)

You definitely came to the right place. Theres a large variety of human phenotypes here, all with one thing in common, Da mush lol.

--------------------
(You Know What Time It Is)
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
"You never have to prove the fool a fool, just let them speak."
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.
Be Gay, Do Crime 161 1312

InvisibleMycoRob
Male User Gallery

#27828886 - 06/20/22 03:30 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Took the survey! Awesome of you guys to share it

Offlineaheroisjustasandwi
Stranger
Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: MycoRob] * 1
    #27829206 - 06/20/22 07:56 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I am a veteran and have been using shrooms to help me. I really hope more research can lead to legalization

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: B Traven]
    #27830462 - 06/21/22 02:01 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

B Traven said:
While it's true that risks decrease with age, I think that this is part of the much bigger question of how the fuck to define and handle full-blown adulthood in the modern world.

totally

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
Re: What do psychedelics mean to YOU? [Re: aheroisjustasandwi]
    #27830669 - 06/21/22 04:49 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

aheroisjustasandwi said:
I am a veteran and have been using shrooms to help me. I really hope more research can lead to legalization

It's a story heard many a time, psilocybin is an incredible medication along with many other psychedelics and need to be made available to people.

--------------------
(You Know What Time It Is)
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
"You never have to prove the fool a fool, just let them speak."
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.
Be Gay, Do Crime 161 1312

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder