Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineagentjrr
student
Loc: Mountain West
Casing dehydrating with humidity too High?
    #2778985 - 06/09/04 07:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have a casing that is at 17 days with no fruiting, it is covered with hyphal knots and looks for all the world like it should exlode with growth any day. I'd been using perlite and misting for humidity because where I live the average RH in the apartment is 30%. I have since discovered that the hygrometer stays at over HI% with perlite alone. In previous posts about this casing it had been suggested that the humidity was to high in the chamber, thus impeding pinning, so I stopped misting the walls and for a time things seemed to improve.

However, the tips of many of the knots have begun to darken in the last 5-7 days and two of the knots look almost black on top. The thinner patches of mycelia at one end of the casing have begun to turn from a healthy white to the kind of spent looking off grey/white I've usually seen in exhausted casings after 5-6 flushes. Also at that end of the tray the casing has begun to pull away from the sides.

Is it possible that the lack of pin formation is due to dehydration, despite the humidity and misting of the casing? I only stopped misting the casing 5 days ago because of near constant condensation on the mycelia.

The casing is Koh Samui on popcorn cased in 60/40 Verm/Coir. The temoerature is between 72 and 78 at all times. RH has been 90+% for all of the pinning stage, with humidity supplied as stated above.

I've never had a casing show signs of both being over humidified and dehydrated at the same time. Has anyone else expereienced this? Any advice?

Edited by agentjrr (06/09/04 08:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
Re: Casing dehydrating? [Re: agentjrr]
    #2779171 - 06/09/04 08:04 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

if you were misting it then it should be hydrated fairly well.you have to be carefully how much you mist the surface of the casing.you can seal off the casing layer and stunt the grow of the mycelium.then it has to build those nutrients back up.if you consistly misted that casing then you probaly did alot more continous damage.forceing the casing to keep up if you hurting it.basicly i think you exhausted the casing and now it's old and dieing.

is that understandable.i could have added alittle more detail but i'm trying to be bref.

Offlineagentjrr
student
Re: Casing dehydrating? [Re: charvo]
    #2779228 - 06/09/04 08:21 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds somewhat reasonable, although it doesn't seem like it produced enough "total growth" even with extensive subsurface growth to have begun exhausting 2 inches of grain just in colonizing the surface and producing hyphal knots. Especially when I've had one inch or so of substrate routinely produce 3-4 healthy flushes over the course of 6-8 weeks.

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

#2779299 - 06/09/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

agreed,wierd shit happens thou.the hyphal knots is the only thing that makes me second guess what i said above.i'm not sure if over misting can hurt hyphal knots.once the casing gets to that piont you'd think it would just pin.most of time sealing off casing layers happen before you ever see hyphal knots.but enough damage could have done before that to.the timing would have to be right on thou.

Offlineagentjrr
student
Re: Casing dehydrating? [Re: charvo]
    #2779575 - 06/09/04 09:52 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I really don't know. Its has looked like it wanted to fruit for over a week now, but its not doing anything. Aside from that one edge, it looks as healthy as any of the other casings I have done. If it weren't for that edge pulling away and the color change in a few spots I wouldn't even be sweating it. And you are right, that edge does look spent. It look like my past casings have looked after a heavy flush. But its just one section about 1" x 4" along one edge.

The only other thing that its doing that I haven't sen before, are a few small amber/yellowish bubbles that have formed on one small section of mycelia. I brushed them gently with a tissue and they don't seem to be liquid. I've read mixed stuff on this board about what it could be, ranging from a sign of a contam to some type of abort structure, but I couldn't find a picture anyone who had posted a picture of what they were talking about to compare with.

I'm kind of at a loss. I'll try to get a pic later tonight to post, to ask opinions on those bubbles if nothing else.

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

#2782440 - 06/10/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

the yellowish color is mycelium that is dieing.when mycelium dies it turns light yellow and then eventualy turns brown.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds