Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Falun Dafa
    #2782047 - 06/10/04 04:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here practices falun dafa? What are you opinions on this practice?
Peace

--------------------
There are an infinite number of ways to interpret experience... The trick is not to fall for any of them

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
Re: Falun Dafa [Re: Quoiyaien]
    #2782348 - 06/10/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've been interested in Falun Gong/Dafa for quite a while, since I did a report on it back in school. I tried some of the five exercises and they seemed to be worthwhile but I stopped for some reason :/

I think the practices overall are nifty, and I have had some good energy sensations from them (not sure if it was placebo, but I don't think it was). I really think the lessons and beliefs represented within the Falun Gong books are great though, especially the belief of Xinxiang. The Chinese government's crazy for banning such a peaceful practice XD

Anyways, I think I might get back into the practices sometime soon, as they seem to offer great energy/health/meditative development. I especially want to try them sometime on a psychedellic, to see if it may potentiate the effects :smile: Good luck with them!

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Falun Dafa [Re: deff]
    #2782402 - 06/10/04 05:37 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

mixatosis probably knows his shit on this subject

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Falun Dafa [Re: CleverName]
    #2782463 - 06/10/04 05:52 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I practice my football (soccer for you yanks out there) skills everyday, does anyone wanna hear about that?

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Falun Dafa [Re: Positronius]
    #2782489 - 06/10/04 06:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

YES! yes i do!

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Falun Dafa [Re: Positronius]
    #2782641 - 06/10/04 07:05 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

No, don't you know that ONLY EASTERN physical skills are spiritual?  :rolleyes:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2785598 - 06/11/04 05:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here practices falun dafa?
Nope, but stay away mister guy! Seriously, these guys are the scientologist cult of the east, complete with flying saucers in the moon. The idea is that the expansion of the universe has negated the traditional chinese practices.. daoism, buddhism, all obsolete! These people are creeps.

The Chinese government's crazy for banning such a peaceful practice
Hhahaha you got it, they MUST BE CRAZY, and that's exactly what the falun gong show wants you to believe. They come over here and they can raise money, gain support, all that, and keep us in the dark about what's really going on in China. These guys are a new age cult with sociopathic political pursuits. The crackdown on them started because they had some success at infiltrating the chinese government.

A quick insert before I continue my rant: The falun whatever meditation techniques are Qi Gong. There is a hella lotta qi gong methods out there.. some are martial, aimed at developing "iron body" or increased relaxation for speed/connection purposes, there is buddhist qi gong, which focuses on the mind, of course, and there are daoist systems generally for health, lots of working the meridians. There are of course cross-overs among these 3 branches.. buddhist health qi gong and such. Not all qi gong is healthy.. some iron body methods could harm you, and some qi gong excercises taught poorly could cause some health problems.

Ok, back to the rant. The problem most people have with the falun gong people is that they've screwed over qi gong practicioners all over China. They don't give a shit about the rest of the practitioners, their priority is to forward their culty-political agenda. The Chinese government has shut down qi gong hospitals and outlawed qi gong practice in public in some places. They have their own political agenda and they don't give a shit about qi gong practitioners either.

There's a war going on between a cult and a fucked up government and those caught in the crossfire are the common practitioners. I have no sympathy for the oppressed falun gong people, they tried to take on a totalitarian regime, what the fuck did they expect?? Meanwhile their leader is hiding out in NYC raking in money. He should go back and bear the brunt of what he started if you ask me.

So.. do I have any sources for you to verify what I'm saying about these guys.. no. The things I know come from word of mouth through the community. The falun people here prolly don't know all the details and certainly wouldn't tell such an ugly story, and our media likes to promote the simple stories.. China practicing poor human rights and the story stops there. But here's the thing: Why would the chinese governments crack down on a peaceful organization practicing qi gong? There are thousands of these organizations, why randomly single out the falun dafa people? We're definetly not getting the whole story.

Anyway, I apologize for making this a drooling rant instead of my usual crystal-clear concise posts.. The bottom line is I highly reccomend qi gong, and to practice this you don't have to get involved with any cultish political organizations, so please don't. These guys are creeps. Any qi gong questions?

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Falun Dafa [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2787277 - 06/12/04 10:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Besides all that, I read the Zhuan Falun book and it seems pretty cool. The principles offered seem like they could genuinely help those who practiced them. But since you mentioned it, what other types of Qigong are there? Where can I find info?
Peace

--------------------
There are an infinite number of ways to interpret experience... The trick is not to fall for any of them

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

#2787391 - 06/12/04 11:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It's not cultish politically inspired anything. It's a form of Qigong practice that focuses on the falun wheel of Gong energy cultivation. The Chinese government has outlawed many religions/spiritual practices for the simple reason that they are a Communist government. Any organization that has that many members is considered a threat to them, whether or not they are peaceful. Remember the university rallies back in the 80's? They were at least politcally motivated, but still not a "threat" like the government treated them like.

Falun Gong does not dismiss Buddhism or Taoism at all, infact most of the teachings are inspired from a combination of the two, and focused mainly around the Qigong practices. Master Li is not "raking in money" from Falun Gong at all. He doesn't accept donations at all, unlike many major religions, and his books are available for free to download. As well, any Falun Gong practice group is completely free. Sure he moved to NYC, but wouldn't you if your homeland government had killed over 900 of your movement's people, as well as detained thousands, outlawed any material related to it, and considered him a criminal? You'd have to be crazy to return.

Oh, another reason why the Chinese government was afraid of it. Many Communist party members were interested in the exercises themselves and became practitioners. This was not infiltration, this was voluntary, and with no political motivation. But why risk losing your iron grip when you can just kill people to be safe... :/

Anyways yeah, I suggest you read a bit of Falun Gong texts and see for yourself how it does not put down other practices, is not politcally motivated, and is quite peaceful indeed. :smile:

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2787444 - 06/12/04 12:23 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I had that hunch as well, deff. Mixo is a very interesting character.

Mixo, if you could elaborate on how they "infiltrated" the Chinese government, I'd be most interested :smile:

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Edited by psyka (06/12/04 12:24 PM)

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2788253 - 06/12/04 06:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It's a form of Qigong practice
Wrong, it is a cult who practices qi gong.
Falun Gong does not dismiss Buddhism or Taoism at all, infact most of the teachings are inspired from a combination of the two
New religious beliefs, that's what I mentioned. I'll stick with the time-tested daoist and buddhist methods thanks.
I suggest you read a bit of Falun Gong texts
PR material
quite peaceful indeed.
Yes.. destroying qi gong in China without lifting a weapon good for them!
elaborate on how they "infiltrated" the Chinese government
By having members of their organization high in the ranks of the communist government in a position to change policy based on the religious beliefs of the practitioners.

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

#2793387 - 06/15/04 12:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I cant see how this could be considered a cult.  Like mentioned above, everything is free of charge, there is no financial commitment of any sort.  From where do draw these conclusions?  Just curious.  Where else can I read about this stuff?  Not just Falun Dafa, but other qigong practices as well.
Peace :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

#2794263 - 06/15/04 10:08 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well obviously www.falundafa.org is the best place to start, being the main website and all, but you've probably already been there. I suggest just reading the books, or atleast skim through and see if you like the beliefs presented. It's not at all a cult, especially when we have the likes of much more dogmatic and controlling major religions in our society :smile:

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2794321 - 06/15/04 10:28 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I cant see how this could be considered a cult.
Most people hear the word "cult." and think it means "bad." This isn't the definition of cult I use. The cultish aspect of falun dafa is the way they hold devotion to their leader and his zany reiteration of old systems in a flashy easily-sold format. These systems and organizations are not based on quality of instruction or practice, but in the "cultish" unity of the followers.

Here's how I judge the falun dafa:

Do they offer anything unique in the way of qi gong?
Nope..

Do they at least instruct and practice well?
Nope.. All it takes from an experienced practitioner is a quick glance to see how poorly their system is practiced.

Are they furthering humanity's health?
Nope.. in fact they're detracting from it. Their antics in Asia have resulted in the outlawing of public qi gong practice and the closing of some qi gong hospitals. Though the Chinese government's reaction is out of line, they react as we should all expect. The falun dafa should have realized this before they began their political career.

So they've failed on these points.. why should they bother existing? There's no point. It's not about the qi gong for them.

Y'see, qi gong isn't about religion. You don't need to carry any beliefs on the nature of the universe to practice it, and I have a real problem with these falun gong people messing with the public's perception of these practices. I had a roommate who wanted to get into taiji, and I asked if she was more interested in martial arts or health. She wanted to practice for health, so I suggested qi gong. She didn't like that idea because of all the religious associations. I guessed that she was talking about the falun gong, and when I asked her what she meant she described a falun dafa meeting she had worked at (she works for a catering service). All these people were all pumped up talking about the new world order and shit. She said it really turned her off, as it would most people (which is why the general public doesn't see this side of the organization).

As a qi gong practitioner, this kind of perception really pisses me off. It should be about the art, not about new world orders, flying saucers in the moon, or some asshole letting his mindless followers get tortured to death while he benefits from a world-wide propaganda campaign and lives it up in New York City.

As for the defence of them being a peaceful organization.. anybody can and does claim that.. even George W Bush. I actually think people who stress how peaceful and non-violent they are kinda twisted. Imagine a stranger walking up to you on the street saying "I'M PEACEFUL!"

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

#2794441 - 06/15/04 11:01 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

A major part of falun dafa cultivation is the raising of one's xinxiang. This comes from being honest, humble, non-violent, not showing off abilities, and most of all - accepting great hardships without interest of personal gain/loss, retalliation, ect. These people do not run around saying how humble or peaceful they are, nor do they believe in flying saucers or any of that BS. I really wonder where you got your information about falun gong, besides from another misinformed, and 'upset', qigong practitioner. Falun gong basically integrates some qi gong with it's own teachings and meditation, but it doesn't mean it's a replacement, or meant to "destroy" actual qi gong. Honestly though, I do not see how you can imply falun dafa is some sort of politically-inspired sabotaging cult like you are :/

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #2794493 - 06/15/04 11:27 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i just read what it said about the origins of qigong, and when i heard "embryonic forms of religion" in reference to the old religions i immidiatly closed out the window. i have no further comment.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

#2794769 - 06/15/04 12:57 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Mixo, When you say poorly practiced, what specifically are you refering to?  I see your point, dont agree, but I still think it is a valid argument.  Again, I ask, where else can I find info on qigong?
Peace :smile:

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2799560 - 06/16/04 04:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Mixo, When you say poorly practiced, what specifically are you refering to?
Bad form. Falun dafa people often put on public displays of their qi gong ability and advertise themselves as a peaceful bunch, and when they do.. it's pretty painful. If you're looking for someone to spoonfeed a belief system to you along with some poor qi gong instruction, check em out. If not.. find someone else. As for qi gong information, I don't know where you'll find any worthwhile stuff online, and I just tried and there's so much garbage out there I don't feel like sifting through it..

The Way of Energy
By Lam Kam Chuen

is a good book.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology