Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesja1112
Stranger
Loc: St. Peters Missour -usa-
posin ivy+ID
    #2780043 - 06/10/04 01:27 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, I just went mushroom hunting the other day and I got some pretty bad poison ivy. Does anyone have an techniques to avoiding poison ivy/oak/sumac? It's weird because I only got it on my neck and face. None on hands, arms, or legs.

While I was out I found this patch of mushrooms growing around a tree. A few feet away is a log with more of the same mushroom growing. A few feet from that is an old dead tree covered in these mushrooms. I've been watching these babies often. Every one in a while i'll go back and one or two of three patches will be gone. When ever the patch is gone, most of the stems are left behind often. I've also found an empty bag of humus next in this little area. Does this sound like someone is growing them? I can't imagine that that many mushrooms wouls just disappear. This is the third flush I've seen grow now. Here is a description of the average mushroom there.

Cap-3-5 cm, convex,Umbonate, moist/sticky, can be scaly with aging, smells a bit like almond

Gills- are a a good distance apart, black

stalk-central, around 6 cm tall, 1 or 2 cm thick, bulb at base, Fibrous, white, fairly soft

Veil-universal, mushroom tip is gold with veil

spore print-black

Habitat-Decaying hardwoods, like i said before, one patch grows around a tree's drunk, one grows on a log, one grows on a dead tree. There are about 50 in each patch

Thanks to anyone who can answer. I can get pictures if you'd like.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: posin ivy+ID [Re: sja1112]
    #2780094 - 06/10/04 02:12 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i also got poison ivy via running from the police. You just gotta get some hydrocortisone and take some benadryll and wait it out.

Offlinebowhunter
Stranger
Loc: Eastern Washington
    #2780538 - 06/10/04 07:40 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Poisen Ivy is similar to poisen oak in the shape of the leaf. Three leaves, shiney. Check it out on the internet to see what it looks like and avoid it. They both cause their discomfort my making you itch, and the itching comes from the leaves after they have been bruised. When bruised they ooze, and that ooze is what makes us itch. So if you are walking where someone else has already been through with say pants on and have bruised they leaf, then when you walk through it will nail you. Also their is no cure, itch cream, and leave it alone. You can spread it by itching your wounds and scratching somewhere else. Poisen oak is tricky it will never look the same from year to year, It's called the chamelion because of the way it can change shape. Three leaves from the same stem and shiney stay away.
Hope that helps.

--------------------
"We do best, what we do most." My little leauge baseball coach

Offlinejben
Don't panic, it's organic
 User Gallery
Re: posin ivy+ID [Re: bowhunter]
    #2780993 - 06/10/04 09:59 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, what he said. also i am a grown up boy, but when i wasa younger, i had bad reactions to poision ivy and such. i had horrible blisters. now im assuming im still very alergic to them. the way i avoid it, wear long pants. if you are wearing shorts or t shirt, dont itch your arm or legs whatever you do, let the itch fade away on its own. this way, no oil is spread. i have not gotten posion ivy for about 5-6 years because im aware of not to itch myself. also take shower with soap when you get home.

hope this helps

--------------------
Don't panic, it's organic!

Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
    #2781203 - 06/10/04 11:02 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I seem to be somewhat unaffected by poison ivy, but there is sooooo much of it in my area. There is a common woodland plant that can naturally treat poison ivy/oak/sumac called Jewelweed. You just mash up the stem/leaves (very watery) and rub it on the area within 30 minutes. Also, one of the best preventions is scrubbing the area hard with soap as soon as possible.

Offlinesja1112
Stranger
Loc: St. Peters Missour -usa-
Re: posin ivy+ID [Re: nycomyco]
    #2781384 - 06/10/04 11:58 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for the help. The doctor gave me some steroids which somehow help. Plus there's this stuff called zanafel that makes the itching go away in 30 seconds. It's great. 35 bucks for a one ounce tube though. But hey, if you're suffering...

So does anyone know anything about the mushroom questions?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals