Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 491 | 492 | 493 | 494 | 495 | 496 | 497 | 498 | 499 | 500 | 501 | 502 | 503 | 504 | 505 | 506 | 507 | 508 | 509 | 510 | 511 | Next > | Last >
OfflineholofractalS
Woodlover experimentalist
I'm a teapot Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest Flag
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Adas] * 2
    #27792588 - 05/25/22 06:39 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

For details, I should have mentioned of course!

50/50 potting soil and alder shavings (pellets turned to wood shavings via soak), sprinkling of grain spawn. This was actually in a large "loaf" of mycelium but I crumbled it all into this container thinly, put a very thin layer of coir on top. Keep that at room temp, when you start to see mycelium peeking thru the coir, start soaking the cake with water, very briefly like 30s, then drain. I kept this one outdoors and iirc did actually dry out some as I almost forgot about it, so soaked it again and kept my eye on it and watered as needed. Slowly, some fruits formed! Getting seasonably warm in the day but still have those cool nights so I think they are happy with that.

I've left the lid on, to keep in humidity, plus with the wind and fae being infinite outdoors, they are happy with the amount of air they are getting in these types of containers.

So the trend I am noticing here is really to deter that surface overgrowth, either by being in cold temps, excess moisture (cake will be above field capacity after soaking, that's perfectly fine with these at this state!), OR if they dry out, with an exposed surface.

Think of how they fare outdoors. You don't have a cm thick layer of fluffy mycelium on your outdoor patch, so why would you want that in these cases? I am not one to definitively state a fact regarding these, but all these times this is a commonality I keep noticing. If you look close at my pics above you can see the evolution of fruits off spots that have exposed coir. As to exactly why, I'm not totally sure, but I think it has something to do with a (bare with me) "nano climate" ie, the mycelium nested at a small scale into the fibers of the coir provide a nice environment (not too sure on this one just a thought), or that there is free water available in those areas. The overgrowth of mycelium has a tendency to discolor and dry very quickly, and even if one was to keep those areas in nicer shape it seems like fruits won't form there. If you'd mist those areas of fluffy surface mycelium (rain) then they just get matted down anyways.

Just some notes and observations. I totally think off season outdoor fruitings should be quite easy if you set them up right, and you got the important part going on outdoors so as you can see the fruits have much more of a full body and robust form to them. Nature again showing off with such ease and effortlessness. We strive to do better!

Anyways I had to fill in. Can't post pics and not explain them!!

--------------------
Woodlover lover!
I am open to questions about wood lovers, I don't know everything, but if you like my posts and have a question, feel free to ask in a PM
I do a lot of indoor experiments. I, one day, WILL figure out a surefire method for indoor woodlovers. Nothing is impossible.

Indoor Woodlover experimentation Journal
Indoor azurescens :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr Piggy
Stool Type P-
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: evlyshrooms] * 1
    #27792630 - 05/25/22 07:23 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Quote:

evlyshrooms said:
These squirrels are killing me here. Digging up everything …

When life presents you with a squirrel problem, make a squirrel pie.

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mr Piggy] * 2
    #27792675 - 05/25/22 08:08 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

And I’m over here like “sweet! Squirrels are spreading mycelium into my neighbors yard”. Key is to have way more shrooms than you and all your friends need, then you’ll be happy to see little forest commandos doing your work for you.

OfflineSirPsycho
Purple Belt in Google-Fu
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mr Piggy] * 3
    #27792680 - 05/25/22 08:10 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Pluteus salcinius, The Willow Shield. I keep trying to put into words how much these mean to me but the best I can come up with is I've been asking every forager that finds Pl americanus for over a year. Salcinius never even entered my mind.

The OMC is absolutely amazing, thank you Oxfordshire!

This will be going to agar tomorrow

--------------------
Balance in life is like running on ice.

Edited by SirPsycho (05/25/22 08:24 PM)

InvisibleMr Piggy
Stool Type P-
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Land Trout]
    #27792723 - 05/25/22 08:43 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Land Trout said:
And I’m over here like “sweet! Squirrels are spreading mycelium into my neighbors yard”. Key is to have way more shrooms than you and all your friends need, then you’ll be happy to see little forest commandos doing your work for you.

Unfortunately most of our squirrels in Oregon are invasive.  Unless it's a western gray or a douglas, into the pie it goes!

OfflinePs.NoName
Psilocybe Anonymous

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: SirPsycho] * 2
    #27792725 - 05/25/22 08:44 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Fuck the squirrels. I don't mind digging in the off season but they have destroyed a few nice pin sets this year by flipping over the chips.

Not going to be able to make it back to this patch for about a week. I picked some too early, but left others so they can blow their Spore load. I figure it would be mean not to let some them naturally drop spores.

OfflineMr.Giggles
Stranger Danger
 User Gallery

Loc: The space in between spaces.
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: SirPsycho]
    #27793027 - 05/25/22 11:54 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Quote:

SirPsycho said:

Pluteus salcinius, The Willow Shield. I keep trying to put into words how much these mean to me but the best I can come up with is I've been asking every forager that finds Pl americanus for over a year. Salcinius never even entered my mind.

Dude, I have some active pluteus i took prints from last summer. I could send you some. I also have a bunch of dried bluing pluteus saved up I can try to clone. I read the spores are very difficult to germinate, or they need to be fresh. I think cloning a dried Mushroom might work fine tho. There really haven't been many people that have tried to grow them. I'm down to try tho!

Holofractal - those are beautiful cyans/allenii! I have allenii colonizing grain at the moment, im excited to give them a go.

--------------------

OfflineSubaeruginosa NZ
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mr.Giggles]
    #27793208 - 05/26/22 05:22 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Glad we dont have squirrels in NZ!

OfflineSirPsycho
Purple Belt in Google-Fu

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mr.Giggles]
    #27793282 - 05/26/22 08:03 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Mr.Giggles said:
Quote:

SirPsycho said:

Dude, I have some active pluteus i took prints from last summer. I could send you some. I also have a bunch of dried bluing pluteus saved up I can try to clone. I read the spores are very difficult to germinate, or they need to be fresh. I think cloning a dried Mushroom might work fine tho. There really haven't been many people that have tried to grow them. I'm down to try tho!

Holofractal - those are beautiful cyans/allenii! I have allenii colonizing grain at the moment, im excited to give them a go.

Hell yeah, that sounds awesome. Only time I'll ever turn down spores is if I already have the species cause they'd help anyone else a lot more

--------------------

OfflineAdas
Lonely Dreamer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central EU
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: SirPsycho] * 1
    #27793303 - 05/26/22 08:31 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Quote:

holofractal said:
So the trend I am noticing here is really to deter that surface overgrowth, either by being in cold temps, excess moisture (cake will be above field capacity after soaking, that's perfectly fine with these at this state!), OR if they dry out, with an exposed surface.

Think of how they fare outdoors. You don't have a cm thick layer of fluffy mycelium on your outdoor patch, so why would you want that in these cases?

These are exactly my conclusions. Regarding other species as well.

Quote:

SirPsycho said:

I don't wanna be a bummer, but don't be so excited just yet. I've tried cloning PS before, as well as putting SUPER FRESH spores to Agar. Nothing at all happened. Maybe I've been impatient but nothing indicates that they would do well in cultivation, unfortunately.

--------------------
Shrooms are always bluer on the other side...

Work hard, play harder, trip the hardest.

OfflineSirPsycho
Purple Belt in Google-Fu

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Adas] * 1
    #27793319 - 05/26/22 08:40 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

I'm ok with failure, no biggie still very excited.

Have you tried directly to cardboard or wood?

--------------------

OfflineAdas
Lonely Dreamer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central EU
Trusted Cultivator
    #27793326 - 05/26/22 08:43 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

I have not. I reckon if it doesn't take to Agar then anything else is a waste of time. Some of these woodlovers can be finicky. Volvariella bombycina too, didn't do anything on Agar for me. People say that the myc does grow, but slower than anything they've ever seen.

--------------------
Shrooms are always bluer on the other side...

Work hard, play harder, trip the hardest.

OfflineTrustMycelium
Stranger
    #27793340 - 05/26/22 08:54 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Pluteus requires special media to germinate at a reasonable success rate.

The media is 1.5% agar, cornmeal, 0.1% LME, 0.1% yeast extract. Unfortunately percentage of cornmeal is not given.

https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1080/00275514.1993.12026337

OfflineSirPsycho
Purple Belt in Google-Fu

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: TrustMycelium]
    #27793390 - 05/26/22 09:57 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Good read, thanks for the link

--------------------

OfflineMr.Giggles
Stranger Danger
 User Gallery

Loc: The space in between spaces.
    #27793638 - 05/26/22 01:56 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

This guy apparently got them going on oat agar. I wonder if a LC would work?

Quote:

Sporulator said:
Quote:

Workman said:
Amazing! Can you share more specifics on the oat agar formula you used?

Thanks!

The agar recipe:

Infusion of 100 gr. oat flakes (small flakes)
      0,1 %  (1gr.)  Malt-Extract
      100 mg  MgSO4
      1 L deionized water

pH value adjusted to 4.3 with tartaric acid

Keep oats on a (deionized) water bath at 140° F  (60° C)  for 10 min.
      Stir from time to time. Then filter the liquid into another container using a metal strainer with a tight mesh
      Dilute liquid to 1 L and add MgSO4, Malt-Extract and 20 gr. agar
      Adjust the pH value

--------------------

OfflineSirPsycho
Purple Belt in Google-Fu

#27793819 - 05/26/22 04:45 PM (1 month, 23 hours ago)

Well looks like I'm gonna be making lots of agar in the near future. Good thing homie up the road hooked it up last weekend as a thank you for some cultures.

--------------------

OfflineTight Lunchbox
Drunk cat

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: SirPsycho]
    #27793888 - 05/26/22 05:49 PM (1 month, 22 hours ago)

I envy you all for living in a climate that allows outdoor cultivation. It looks like a lot of fun.

--------------------
"it's all a joke between mom contractions and coffin fittings"

The most useful tool for noobs

Offlineevenkeel
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Tight Lunchbox]
    #27794707 - 05/27/22 07:52 AM (1 month, 8 hours ago)

Seen a few peeps mention bugs on this thread and the problems they can cause. Personally I'm going to be leaving my mycelium open to them, as I believe they're all part and parcel of the same thing and mutually help each other overall. The wild patch I found last year was full of flies, slugs, frogs and was right under trees full of birds. Didn't see any squirrels at the time, but they live nearby and eat at a bird feeder which is 15ft away. If any of these creatures are a problem then why would the patch have settled there in the first place?

I'm a newbie so I might be wrong in taking this path, but it seems to be going ok so far. The fabric pot is covered in slugs at night but they seem to do more good then harm, eating green algae growing round the pot and leaving trails the mycelium can possibly utilise.

Spotted this harvestman chilling in the pot during the day. Is it just me or does it look like the mycelium has got to its legs?

OnlineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: evenkeel] * 2
    #27794763 - 05/27/22 09:04 AM (1 month, 7 hours ago)

The moment you have any kind of fruit the slugs and snails will fuck your shit up.

OfflineEnjoil
I love my bong!

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #27794888 - 05/27/22 11:47 AM (1 month, 4 hours ago)

I wonder if he could put some kinda collar around the fabric pot to keep the critters out???

I fucking hate bugs, once you figure one out, 3 other kinds join the party….

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 491 | 492 | 493 | 494 | 495 | 496 | 497 | 498 | 499 | 500 | 501 | 502 | 503 | 504 | 505 | 506 | 507 | 508 | 509 | 510 | 511 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder