Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineT_myc
Stranger

What’s Growing in sterilized grain?
    #27792631 - 05/25/22 05:24 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Hello shroomery community.

I inoculated these grain jar on 5/17, 8 days ago, with what I believed to be a clean agar plate of AA+.  I noticed yesterday this strange coffee/dirt looking substance in 1 of my jars.  It looks slightly bigger today but I’m not sure if that is because I was trying the grain to move around to see if it goes deeper.  Here’s a brief background on the grain.
-Rye Berries
-Rinse multiple times until water clean
-Soaked for about 26 hours
-Sterlized in instant pot for 3 hours
-Inoculated with agar I thought looked clean (3rd generation from MS)

Tried doing some research but couldn’t find much info.  I’m pretty new to all this but I haven’t seen any contam like this.  Let me know what you think this might be. 

Thanks everyone!

https://

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
Re: What’s Growing in sterilized grain? [Re: T_myc]
    #27792667 - 05/25/22 06:02 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

T_myc said:
Hello shroomery community.

I inoculated these grain jar on 5/17, 8 days ago, with what I believed to be a clean agar plate of AA+.  I noticed yesterday this strange coffee/dirt looking substance in 1 of my jars.  It looks slightly bigger today but I’m not sure if that is because I was trying the grain to move around to see if it goes deeper.  Here’s a brief background on the grain.
-Rye Berries
-Rinse multiple times until water clean
-Soaked for about 26 hours
-Sterlized in instant pot for 3 hours
-Inoculated with agar I thought looked clean (3rd generation from MS)

Tried doing some research but couldn’t find much info.  I’m pretty new to all this but I haven’t seen any contam like this.  Let me know what you think this might be. 

Thanks everyone!

https://

It wasnt there before you inoculated? It almost just looks like some dirt that may of been in ur grains (make sure you're cleaning them before use) but if it wasnt there before inoculation then its 100% mold. Couldnt tell ya what kind and in the end it rly doesnt matter.

--------------------
(You Know What Time It Is)
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
"You never have to prove the fool a fool, just let them speak."
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.
Be Gay, Do Crime 161 1312

OfflinePingaPela
Stranger
Male
Re: What’s Growing in sterilized grain? [Re: Ashtray161]
    #27792710 - 05/25/22 06:36 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Looks almost identical to coffee but yeah if you rinsed and soaked for that long, idk wtf is going on in that jar.

OfflineTheTimelessDon
The Don

Re: What’s Growing in sterilized grain? [Re: PingaPela]
    #27792746 - 05/25/22 06:54 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

That definitely doesn't belong!

I'm huge on "the mycelium will survive" bullshit, lol.  But this is one jar I would absolutely trash.  Being as how we're dealing with molds and bacteria every day - I'm sure that's what you've got.  But my vote is actually going towards mites and/or some sort of other infestation.  Only a hunch, and no proof whatsoever... But I see mites when I look at that.

To whatever it is... :salute:

OfflineJXAllen
Cannalyst

Re: What’s Growing in sterilized grain? [Re: PingaPela] * 1
    #27792755 - 05/25/22 07:01 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

From the Recognizing and Dealing with Contamination sticky thread

Aspergillus
https://files.shroomery.org/files/15-006/308922517-935432310-god_knows_what_it_is3.jpg

A. niger, dark brown pins on a white-yellow mycelium

--------------------
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that do not.
Cultures I'm workin on

OfflineT_myc
Stranger

Re: What’s Growing in sterilized grain? [Re: JXAllen]
    #27792877 - 05/25/22 08:16 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Thanks everyone for the quick response.  I'm going with Allen on this one def looks like Aspergillus to me.  Guess this jars a gonner.  Thanks for everyone's input. 

The agar plate started out rhizo and then got very fluffy tomentose growth.  Would this be an indicator of possible contam?

OfflineJXAllen
Cannalyst

#27792990 - 05/25/22 09:18 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Sorry for the bad news.  It happens. If your plate looked clean, it probably was.  My guess is it got in when you inoculated. Review your sterile technique.  Use gloves if you're not.  Fingernails and the hair in the back of your hands are great spots for contaminants to hitch a ride. Plan ahead for some losses and make more jars/plates than you think you'll need.

Edit... how much of the plate did you use? I cut wedges well away from the edge of the plate. That's where I've seen the most contaminants outside of germination plates.

--------------------
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that do not.
Cultures I'm workin on

Edited by JXAllen (05/25/22 09:24 PM)

OfflineT_myc
Stranger

Re: What’s Growing in sterilized grain? [Re: JXAllen]
    #27793568 - 05/26/22 10:51 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Ok so that's where I probably messed up.  I chopped up the whole plate with sterile scalpel and put it in there.  I use sterile gloves and wash my hands and arms past my elbow. 

I also think I need to pour my agar a little more shallow because it was difficult to get the agar out. I use a SAB and I had to tap against the jar to get the agar to fall out.

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
    #27794303 - 05/26/22 08:04 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

T_myc said:
Ok so that's where I probably messed up.  I chopped up the whole plate with sterile scalpel and put it in there.  I use sterile gloves and wash my hands and arms past my elbow. 

I also think I need to pour my agar a little more shallow because it was difficult to get the agar out. I use a SAB and I had to tap against the jar to get the agar to fall out.

Yea I usually cut the edges off of my agar and only use the inner portions to knock up jars. The outside perimeter edges are typically where satellites and hitchhiker contams are.

--------------------
(You Know What Time It Is)
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
"You never have to prove the fool a fool, just let them speak."
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.
Be Gay, Do Crime 161 1312

OfflineHindsight
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What’s Growing in sterilized grain? [Re: Ashtray161]
    #27794393 - 05/26/22 09:14 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

If you are using a SAB, chopping up the whole plate just ups your risk. The more times you pull a piece of agar out, open the lid, drop, and repeat, the more opportunity for contamination. My rule of thumb is no more than two piece of agar per jar. I agree with others on avoiding edges.

When I was using SABs, this was my procedure:
Flame scalpel and set to side to cool
Unscrew lid of grain jar without removing.
Depending on plate, either remove parafilm, or pop lid, or unscrew lid without removing it completely
Grab scalpel, remove plate lid, cut a circle around the plate - about 5mm or a bit more from the inner walls, then cut down the middle - you are making 2x half-moon sections.
Dig the scalpel under one half and lift it out, then crack the lid on your grain jar just enough to drop that half in. Replace the grain jar lid.
Now dig the scalpel under the other agar wedge and repeat the process to dump it into the jar.
Tighten jar lid and replace plate lid

You can then store the plate on the back of a shelf somewhere as a backup in case your grain jar becomes contaminated.... you will have a ring of agar around the edges of that plate that you can take transfers from (assuming you have to, and the section you transfer from looks clean).

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck