Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenimbus
audiophile
 User Gallery

Loc: third stone from the sun
Air Circulation - Help Needed
    #2779070 - 06/09/04 09:34 PM (13 years, 18 days ago)

I need some help about automatic air exchange in terrariums and think there's not much written on this, if there is, so please send me links. (I have read almost everything on shroomery though)

I have an aquarium air pump and something called an Air Tube (not air stone) which is a flexible tube, covered with a sponge like material with very small holes in it, which are almost invisible to the naked eye.
My questions are: is the most smart thing to do- to put the tube in the bottom of the terrarium or the middle or the top? is there a difference?

after having made that choice, where should I open a hole (or two?) to let the air out? (filled with polyfill)
do I need extra holes at all if the terrariums lid is not air tight anyway?

--------------------
we are reasonable people...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Air Circulation - Help Needed [Re: nimbus]
    #2779238 - 06/09/04 10:25 PM (13 years, 18 days ago)

Best bet would be to put it on the bottom of the tank, and then cover that with your perlite and water.

And, no, you don't need to open a hole in the terrarium unless you've gone nuts sealing it up.  :smile:

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OfflineK20A2
Male
    #2779379 - 06/09/04 10:54 PM (13 years, 18 days ago)

I have an airstone under my perlite in the water. No air holes in the rubbermaid, and it just gets fanned once in the morning. No problems as of now, but I think my humidity is to high so I have to work on that.

Offlinenimbus
audiophile
 User Gallery

Re: Air Circulation - Help Needed [Re: K20A2]
    #2780253 - 06/10/04 06:58 AM (13 years, 18 days ago)

I wont use the air tube for humidity..I think that is not what it is for..Perlite and the casing layer are enough for humidity--

and for having it under the perlite is OK..but IN WATER???
I think it is good to have the perlite wet but having water
in the terrarium that you can put the air stones in it is too much..
isnt it??

--------------------

OfflineLoverOfMana
Hmm

#2781769 - 06/10/04 03:23 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

Nope, the bubble wall wands you have can be under water. Make sure you have enough perlite in there so your cakes aren't floating though :P

--------------------
"Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinenimbus
audiophile
 User Gallery

Re: Air Circulation - Help Needed [Re: LoverOfMana]
    #2782593 - 06/10/04 06:46 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

I dont use cakes, I am growing pan cyan in 1 liter trays.
still not sure if having water so deep that you can put an air stone
in it is a good idea..so much water is an invitation for contams I guess. but again, that is not my question actually..
it was:
is the most smart thing to do- to put the tube in the bottom of the terrarium or the middle or the top? is there a difference?

that means I dont want to put it in water anyway! the air tube i use is only for slower flow of air and better distribution..

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2782620 - 06/10/04 06:58 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

Ok, forget the water. I tried not to be boaring but the reason I made the pod with air from the bottom and why it's better. The fundamental principal behind using air entrainment is to sufficiently mix the two (fresh air and stale air) together and then re-distribute them back into the environment in a more balanced way that is then more beneficial to the mushroom crop. Without this sufficient mixing of the gasses present within the grow space, the crops will remain stunted and will likely never reach their optimum potential.

With the poormans pod, the settling co2 air is met and diffused by a curtain of fresh air rising from beneath the Geo-lite surface. This rising flow of air is created from the air diffuser rod situated below the Geo-lite surface, which is powered by the air pump. The rising air pattern not only prohibits the heavier co2 air from settling down onto the bottom surface as usual but it also simultaneously diffuses the co2 with fresh air as it is distributed back into the environment or grow space where it can be put to good use.

In this way, the poor mans pod creates the same desired phenomenon as offered by more conventional means of air entrainment found in much larger-scale commercial applications where a mixing box is commonly used to accomplish this important task.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Air Stone, Perlite, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation