Home | Community | Message Board

Myco.ca - Spores & Cultivation Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinespasm666
Stranger
 User Gallery
Sealing the FC floor
    #27790094 - 05/24/22 01:53 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Hey. I have a problem with my FC that I've tried to fix but with no success. It's really a simple thing but I'm not familiar with the materials available.

My FC walls are made of plastic and the floor is painted concrete. The floor remains mostly dry in the FC execpt for the area near the circulation fan. As the fan blows the fog through it, it makes water collect below it. I have taped the walls to the floor with a tape that was supposed to be waterproof but it's not. The glue in it melts away with the moisture and the water leaks to outside. Then I tried to fix it with regular duct tape, the same thing happened. Then I sealed the thing with silicone but that didn't help either as it comes off the floor by itself.

What the hell I can do to make it sealed?

I could relocate the fan to the center of the room but I'm not sure if I'd get that much benefit from it there. If it'd be in the center near the ceiling, there would be a big area that wouldn't get much airflow, no matter where I'd point it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSHROOMSISAY01
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sealing the FC floor [Re: spasm666]
    #27790126 - 05/24/22 03:20 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Use a condensate pump...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125323887417?epid=1400214630&hash=item1d2de2c339:g:7WcAAOSwazpihrxe

You will also need a small tote and a bulkhead put the tote under the fan and attach the bulkhead. The tote will catch the water and go through the bulkhead to the pump when the water in the pump gets high enough the pump will automatically drain and it will start all over. Just put the tube for the outgoing water into a drain or a 5-gallon bucket or something like that.

I have my air intake close to my circulation fan that way when fresh air comes in it is immediately mixed with the air in the room. It is really not a big deal the way you have it will work. I just like the air to be mixed as quickly as possible.

Also, your circulation fan needs to be moved away from the wall. It looks like it is against the plastic. But that may just be what it looks like. If the fan can't get the air it can't circulate the air and it is not working the best it can.

If you try to bid on that condensate pump use gixen...

https://www.gixen.com/

Edited by SHROOMSISAY01 (05/24/22 03:43 AM)

Offlinespasm666
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Sealing the FC floor [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #27790176 - 05/24/22 04:55 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Thanks for the reply. I will consider the pump. Problem is that the fan spreads the water to that extent that the tote won't catch nearly all. Unless it is a really wide tote. I'm trying to catch it now with a very small container but it's all over the floor. I just bought some sprayable sealer which I will try next.

Sounds good to have the circulation fan near the intake. My bags are positioned in a way that it won't be possible with my setup though.

The fan is quite close to the wall, but not against it. There are about two inches from the wall and it seems to get to blow well, there's a nice stream of air coming out of it. I run it with PWM controller so it's not too windy there.

But this all got me a new idea! What if I take that fan out and install it directly to a big tote? Not in the bottom but rig it somewhere in the center, so it collects all water and still have room for air to flow. Then just empty it with a pump you mentioned. Or by hand actually, as I would need to pump the water to another container anyway so it seems like extra step.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27790679 - 05/24/22 03:14 PM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Point the fan directly up and put a piece of 4" PVC on the outtake of the fan It does not matter where the fan is blowing the air. The air is moving because of the suction of the fan. It is best to not have the fan blowing toward your fruits anyway. The water may blow up the pipe some but will eventually drain out the bottom of the fan. Problem solved. A lot of people have the misconception that you want to blow the air around and you do, but the suction the fan creates gently pulls the air past your bags without drying out your fruits.

Offline22nd Iteration
Listens to Mushrooms
I'm a teapot

Loc: Canada Flag
    #27791837 - 05/25/22 08:22 AM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Quote:

spasm666 said:

Then I sealed the thing with silicone but that didn't help either as it comes off the floor by itself.

What kind of silicon did you try? They're not all made equal and you would be wanting something that says 100% silicon and ideally also carries some sort of guarantee for mildew resistance. I like this stuff. www.canadiantire.ca/product/fixing/paint/surface-prep-maintenance/0670852/ge-window-door-silicone-ii-clear-82-8ml-d82f8e57-ab0f-479d-926b-a5f9363b0169.png?imwidth=2048">. If applied correctly, silicon should adhere well to your floor. Keep in mind that if the surfaces your are trying to apply to aren't completely dry it won't stick. Did you allow the room to dry out before you started or allow it to stay dry for a day afterward? Both steps are important, there's no rushing silicon.

You could also try scuffing the floor with a bit of 200 grit sandpaper prior to application. Just have to make sure there's no dust left over.

--------------------
“The deeper the solitude the less the sense of loneliness, and the nearer our friends.”
          -John Muir

Offlinespasm666
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Sealing the FC floor [Re: 22nd Iteration]
    #27793177 - 05/26/22 03:33 AM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Quote:

SHROOMSISAY01 said:
Point the fan directly up and put a piece of 4" PVC on the outtake of the fan It does not matter where the fan is blowing the air. The air is moving because of the suction of the fan. It is best to not have the fan blowing toward your fruits anyway. The water may blow up the pipe some but will eventually drain out the bottom of the fan. Problem solved. A lot of people have the misconception that you want to blow the air around and you do, but the suction the fan creates gently pulls the air past your bags without drying out your fruits.

Thanks. I definitely have the misconception about blowing air around, as I'm noticing longer stems in between the bags than in the center "isle" where the fan is blowing. I think it must be because of how my bags are placed in the FC as I demonstrated with a picture in the first post. I have my bags in two or three vertical levels so they make quite a wall.

If I'd point the fan in the middle and just up, I'm afraid that there would be no air movement between the bag rows. Maybe if I squeeze one fan between both rows pointing up, the suction would be in between the bags?

Here's a real picture to clarify:

Quote:

22nd Iteration said:
Quote:

spasm666 said:

Then I sealed the thing with silicone but that didn't help either as it comes off the floor by itself.

What kind of silicon did you try? They're not all made equal and you would be wanting something that says 100% silicon and ideally also carries some sort of guarantee for mildew resistance. I like this stuff. [image]https://media-www.canadiantire.ca/product/fixing/paint/surface-prep-maintenance/0670852/ge-window-door-silicone-ii-clear-82-8ml-d82f8e57-ab0f-479d-926b-a5f9363b0169.png?imwidth=2048[/image]. If applied correctly, silicon should adhere well to your floor. Keep in mind that if the surfaces your are trying to apply to aren't completely dry it won't stick. Did you allow the room to dry out before you started or allow it to stay dry for a day afterward? Both steps are important, there's no rushing silicon.

You could also try scuffing the floor with a bit of 200 grit sandpaper prior to application. Just have to make sure there's no dust left over.

It was 100% silicone. But I think the surface might have been damp as I only wiped it dry.  And yeah, I know I rushed it. I tried to manage to do it with my bags in the fruiting so there wasn't a day to let it dry. Not even close actually. Lol, in hindsight that was quite stupid. I don't know how to fix it though without drying my mushrooms/pins out since I have no place to put the bags to do it properly.

I'll start with relocating the circulation fan so there will be no constantly standing water there. That would do the trick I guess as I clean the FC without hosing everything down (no drainage).

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27793709 - 05/26/22 03:27 PM (1 month, 4 days ago)

I have never hosed my room down either I just bought a pump-up garden sprayer and use 1 cup bleach and 9 cups water and spray everything down after each flush. I have been doing it for years with no problems. You need the water so the bleach can penetrate the cell wall of what you are trying to kill.

Offline22nd Iteration
Listens to Mushrooms
I'm a teapot

Loc: Canada Flag
    #27793842 - 05/26/22 05:08 PM (1 month, 4 days ago)

Quote:

SHROOMSISAY01 said:
and spray everything down after each flush.
Quote:

How do you avoid the other blocks in your fruiting room? Or do you not have any overlapping batches of blocks?

--------------------
“The deeper the solitude the less the sense of loneliness, and the nearer our friends.”
          -John Muir

Offlinespasm666
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Sealing the FC floor [Re: 22nd Iteration]
    #27794003 - 05/26/22 06:54 PM (1 month, 4 days ago)

Quote:

SHROOMSISAY01 said:
I have never hosed my room down either I just bought a pump-up garden sprayer and use 1 cup bleach and 9 cups water and spray everything down after each flush. I have been doing it for years with no problems. You need the water so the bleach can penetrate the cell wall of what you are trying to kill.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing too!

Quote:

22nd Iteration said:
Quote:

SHROOMSISAY01 said:
and spray everything down after each flush.
Quote:

How do you avoid the other blocks in your fruiting room? Or do you not have any overlapping batches of blocks?

What I do is spray just the empty side of the room, and next week vice versa. It feels less effective of course than spraying the whole room at once but there's too much effort to empty the room totally every time to spray it down.

I'm also interested in hearing how Shrooms does this?

Offlinespasm666
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27794627 - 05/27/22 05:55 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Quote:

SHROOMSISAY01 said:

This might be a stupid question but I've got no experience on this.. The attwood power cord is very short and I need to extend it to reposition the fan. How do I do this while not being electrocuted? I mean, obviously it needs to be sealed so the humidity won't get in. So how to make it waterproof?

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27794927 - 05/27/22 12:25 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

You can't you will get electrocuted!! Unplug it. cut the wires and extend the wire I would solder the wires and heat shrink them. If you can't solder use wago connectors and some hot glue...

https://www.amazon.com/Wago-221-413-LEVER-NUTS-Conductor-Connectors/dp/B06XGYXVXR/ref=sr_1_25?crid=21T4ZFGNH2WYN&keywords=wago%2B2%2Bconductor&qid=1653668688&s=industrial&sprefix=wago%2B2%2Bcon%2Cindustrial%2C145&sr=1-25&th=1

you can also use wire nuts and silicone. The fan is 12vdc so you won't get shocked or electrocuted. The power supply is 110/120 vac and you can get shocked if you touch both wires at the same time. If you only touch one at a time you won't get shocked just make sure you wear tennis shoes. I don't know the power supply you are using so I can't help more than this without a pic of the power supply.

Offlinespasm666
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27795142 - 05/27/22 03:27 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Quote:

SHROOMSISAY01 said:
You can't you will get electrocuted!! Unplug it. cut the wires and extend the wire I would solder the wires and heat shrink them. If you can't solder use wago connectors and some hot glue...

https://www.amazon.com/Wago-221-413-LEVER-NUTS-Conductor-Connectors/dp/B06XGYXVXR/ref=sr_1_25?crid=21T4ZFGNH2WYN&keywords=wago%2B2%2Bconductor&qid=1653668688&s=industrial&sprefix=wago%2B2%2Bcon%2Cindustrial%2C145&sr=1-25&th=1

you can also use wire nuts and silicone. The fan is 12vdc so you won't get shocked or electrocuted. The power supply is 110/120 vac and you can get shocked if you touch both wires at the same time. If you only touch one at a time you won't get shocked just make sure you wear tennis shoes. I don't know the power supply you are using so I can't help more than this without a pic of the power supply.

Thanks. I found this connector thing from hardware store I used. It has those Wago connectors inside a box which is filled with some gel. When the box is closed the gel seals everything. IPX8 waterproof. It was nice and easy and a dummy like me could use it safely.

This is the circulation fan 2.0:

Might have to put a longer pipe on the fan but this is what I had already laying around.

Just a bit doubtful if the corners of the FC will get any of that suction. But if not, I'll just make another one and place them to the sides.

Thanks for the idea!

Now I have my FC at max amount of bags, exhaust time doubled to 8min ON, 2min OFF, and this new style circulation fan. I also ordered another 12 head fogger as I'm planning to use two of them simultaneously and eventually go for exhaust always on. Just for that one wouldn't have to work that hard and die quicker. And if one dies I have another already set up. I'm not sure yet if I hook both to my Inkbird or alternate between the foggers with a timer (fogger A 2hrs ON, 2hrs OFF and fogger B the opposite).

I'm hoping this all provides me with more cap less stem. If this works, I just have to beg the landlord to let me make one more hole to the wall.. As summer comes and I need to exhaust an AC unit too, I'll have to go pack to the Y-pipe thing and cycle between incubation exhaust and FC exhaust, so exhaust 24/7 won't be an option without one more hole..

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27795260 - 05/27/22 05:04 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

If it doesn't work as you want you can always buy elbows or a 45 and point the air where ever you want it you could even get a yee and have it blowing in two separate directions. But I think what you have will work fine.

Offlinespasm666
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27796004 - 05/28/22 04:46 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Yeah, I'll look into that if I get stale corners. Gotta fruit a few batches to see if there's a difference. But a yee-pipe would be great option, as that one attwood is definitely effective enough for circulating the air, just gotta direct it better if needed.

After the night I came to check on the new setup and it works very well. There's just a little water splashed on the floor around the fan, I'll just extend the pipe a little and I should have dry floors after that. Which is very nice, now I can stop worrying about it and set the exhaust to work more, maybe even 24/7 already since my humidifier seem just fine, there's actually quite some time between the humidifier cycles.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27796413 - 05/28/22 02:44 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

If you put a condensate pump in that bin you would never have to worry about emptying it. I know it only takes a minute to empty it but those minutes get annoying after a while and they add up. In my opinion it is worth the money to just be able to forget about it. But it is not my setup, what ever you prefer is best for you.

Offlinespasm666
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27799670 - 05/31/22 01:37 AM (1 month, 2 hours ago)

Yeah that is true. Though so far it seems that it takes forever to fill up, so I don't think I have to empty it very often. But if it starts to bother me, I'll look into that condensate pump. It's a bit tricky to get the outlet of the pump to a good place. Anyway the floor remains dry now which is very nice!

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27799682 - 05/31/22 02:17 AM (1 month, 2 hours ago)

Good to hear the floor is dry now. You can always use an incent stick and move it around the room to find dead spots where the air is not moving. But your mushrooms will tell you the same story.

Offlinespasm666
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27800289 - 05/31/22 02:29 PM (30 days, 13 hours ago)

Yeah. I'm just getting first flush with the new dialing in, and it seems the stems are shorter and actually quite fine near the centre of the FC, but a bit long between the bags. Which I think tells me that I have enough overall oxygen in the room, just got to get the air circulating better between the bags. So maybe another circulation fan. If I don't rent the bigger place next door, in which I could produce more and still place the bags more loosely. But this definitely improved the setup.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27800350 - 05/31/22 03:20 PM (30 days, 13 hours ago)

Thank you for the update. Nothing worse than trying to help someone and not knowing if you did or not. So thanks for letting me know!! Another fan would do the trick so I hope you bought the 10 amp power supply like I always suggest.

Offlinespasm666
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27800977 - 06/01/22 01:34 AM (30 days, 2 hours ago)

:thumbup: Yeah! I think I have a 20A power supply there so it's no problem.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder