Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Impulse Sealer, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
YOu dont need a self healing patch of mycobags.
    #2778087 - 06/09/04 03:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I used my mycobags for teh first time this week and i bought 100 bags with the filter patch for $30 from mycobag.com. The ones with the self healing patch are about 5x more, so what idi was just poke a hole with my syringe remove hte syringe and put a 2" piece of scotch tape over the hole making sure to be using the part that was just on the roll so its not contamed. Now that i think about it wiping where your injecting with iso would be a good idea too. anywyas the bags are about 5 days since innoc and there all doing real well.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: YOu dont need a self healing patch of mycobags. [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2778188 - 06/09/04 04:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Unfortunately this isn't news. If you read mycobags description, the self healing injector bags are for people that don't want to tape. See this quote from their website:
Quote:

Includes self-healing injector site for use of inoculation plunger without taping!

That makes me think that the way to use the others is to tape. Anyway, i'm glad you figured it out and thanks for sharing.

BTW, IME packing tape stays put a bit better than scotch tape. You can even find packing tape in narrow roles about the size of scotch tape for more convenience.

Also, injection sites can be sealed with an impulse sealer if they are at the top or side of a bag.

Others use various types of glue to seal the bags, from hot glue to silicone. Which brings up the fact that some people use silicone to make their own self-sealing injection site.

Thanks for sharing though.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: YOu dont need a self healing patch of mycobags. [Re: mycofile]
    #2778997 - 06/09/04 09:08 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yea.... I read that after going to find the actual amount $X more it was. I already typed the post and hate deleting posts.

I think id rather just tape then take the time to make one out of silicone. Unless of course if someone finds some kind of self healing weather strip type product or similar that is easy to stick with the syringe and stays put.

I like the idea with using the impulse sealer, i guess just re seal a corner but still taping just seems easier and you have something to write on for ID.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #2779041 - 06/09/04 09:22 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

And about the how much spawn fits in a myco bag question i had befoer i got my bags,

The medium bags fit ~3Q of grain filled about 6" tall. Thats the most id fill it for my 17q PC with a rack at the bottom and the plate on the top so it dosent plug the rocker hole. It fits 3 bags this way. If/when I shorten the racks legs i could pack them a bit taller and mebey get close to a gal per bag.

So about 2.25 gal of spawn vs. 1.2 using 7 quart jars filled 2/3. So mycobags increase spawn volume per PC cooking 80-100%. So yea im glad i spent that $80 for 100 bags and an oversized sealer :laugh:

And no you dont need a flowhood to seal mycobags, just a clean working place and some lysol.

Invisiblematts
matts

#2779732 - 06/10/04 01:05 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #2779812 - 06/10/04 01:40 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i injected through the filter patch and no contams yet, only been about a week but it's about 70% colonized and looking fine, i didn't like the idea of using tape cuz i'm cheap and plan on reusing the bags a lot and didn't want a bunch of holes after they get used a number of times

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: YOu dont need a self healing patch of mycobags. [Re: John]
    #2783281 - 06/11/04 12:05 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Ye i need to use better tape i was inspecting my bags today and i liefted one by the flap, then i heard a hiss i thought it was coming from the filter patch and i look closer and see the injection site was leaking and stopes imediately. No biggie if they contam, There my first mycobags so ther more of a test run then a grow, though it would be nice to have the 9q of spawn if they dont contam :smile:.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Impulse Sealer, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology