Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
OfflineTheTimelessDon
The Don

Re: Can someone identify what this is? [Re: mrchrist]
    #27777005 - 05/14/22 02:30 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mrchrist said:
My first veil broke!

Couldn't find any coco coir so I'm just going to dunk/roll and add the other jars in I've decided.

Congrats!  Since it's really only one mushroom - and if it's not too late (i.e. digested)  I would make a print off the cap since it's your first ever!  Don't worry, you can still eat it after.  :smile:

Coir:  If you live near a large retailer, definitely blue ones, maybe red ones... - there is a Burpee brand of 100% coir that works wonders for me.  Price per tub is probably very expensive for anyone doing this for bulk, which is why no one talks about it here and everyone uses the bricks.  But if you're just getting started and don't need pounds of it yet, it's easier to find and cheap to get a bag.  It is pre-moisturized though, so you will need to understand field capacity and have very good intuition with your growing conditions.

The coir brick seems to be another hurdle that people have a hard time with for whatever reason(myself included)... So for anyone's first venture in, it's easy enough to just get the bag of 100% coir that is already done for you.  I've pasteurized it the correct way before... but I secretly stopped doing that and don't notice any differences.  Dare I call it plug and play, out the box and ready to go coco coir??  Noooo way!!  Not here... lol.  Just some food for thought to share what I found, and it seems to work fine if you can't find the bricks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRotnpins
๐Ÿคฎ Rotten-Pins ๐Ÿ„
Male User Gallery

Loc: in (front of) the hood
Re: Can someone identify what this is? [Re: TheTimelessDon]
    #27777015 - 05/14/22 02:37 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I've got a coupple bags of the burpee coir, haven't used them yet, but I'm definitely interested in seeing how it works out once I try it out..

Offlinemrchrist
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Can someone identify what this is? [Re: hazyhorse]
    #27777043 - 05/14/22 03:08 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Okay, yeah I didn't want to mutilate which is what it started to feel like lol.

Thanks for the advice as always.

OfflineTheTimelessDon
The Don

Re: Can someone identify what this is? [Re: Rotnpins]
    #27777296 - 05/14/22 07:41 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

If you ever get around to using them, I'd love to hear what you think and get your opinion!  You use bricks normally right? 

If the bags are still sealed when you use them, I think you will be intrigued by how it holds it's moisture.  I feel the micro climate it creates by itself is nice and fluffy, helping it lean towards the drier-moist side, and then with a spray bottle you can dial it into perfection.  I add some verm too for a little extra-micro-climate-spice, but mostly just to stay close enough to the tried and true teks for results.  Maybe I'll post my process in a separate thread some day once I have pictures and a shred of short term memory to remember typing this! Lol  :smile:

OfflineRotnpins
๐Ÿคฎ Rotten-Pins ๐Ÿ„
Male User Gallery

#27777338 - 05/14/22 08:17 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TheTimelessDon said:
If you ever get around to using them, I'd love to hear what you think and get your opinion!  You use bricks normally right? 

If the bags are still sealed when you use them, I think you will be intrigued by how it holds it's moisture.  I feel the micro climate it creates by itself is nice and fluffy, helping it lean towards the drier-moist side, and then with a spray bottle you can dial it into perfection.  I add some verm too for a little extra-micro-climate-spice, but mostly just to stay close enough to the tried and true teks for results.  Maybe I'll post my process in a separate thread some day once I have pictures and a shred of short term memory to remember typing this! Lol  :smile:

I've been using one of the big blocks,.. it's basically a gigantic brick :lol: it's a real pain in the ass because  I have to break chunks off of it and it's super dense..

I'm really  curious to see how the burpee  stuff works (my auto text keeps switching it to burped :lol:) maybe I'll open a bag soon and try it out.. I mite do a side by side and see how it turns out.

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#27778105 - 05/15/22 11:13 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

i fucking hate trying to break those giant bricks apart. the 8qt bricks are one thing? but those 10kg bricks or whatever are such a bitch to break up. even sawing through them is annoying. but i havenโ€™t been able to find the small bricks anywhere so i guess i gotta deal

iโ€™ve used the preexpanded bagged stuff before, i actually really liked it. i think as long as you bring it to field capacity youโ€™re pretty much chillin

--------------------
you're not the first to set foot here, just another
===================================
i love glass petris & you can too!!
posts i constantly refer back to
new to mushroom cultivation?? read this!!

๐Ÿ…ƒ ๐Ÿ„ด ๐Ÿ„ฐ ๐Ÿ„ผ    ๐Ÿ„ฒ ๐Ÿ„ป ๐Ÿ„ธ ๐Ÿ„ฝ ๐Ÿ„ถ ๐Ÿ…† ๐Ÿ… ๐Ÿ„ฐ ๐Ÿ„ฟ

OfflineRotnpins
๐Ÿคฎ Rotten-Pins ๐Ÿ„
Male User Gallery

#27778335 - 05/15/22 01:32 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hazyhorse said:
i fucking hate trying to break those giant bricks apart. the 8qt bricks are one thing? but those 10kg bricks or whatever are such a bitch to break up. even sawing through them is annoying. but i havenโ€™t been able to find the small bricks anywhere so i guess i gotta deal

iโ€™ve used the preexpanded bagged stuff before, i actually really liked it. i think as long as you bring it to field capacity youโ€™re pretty much chillin

Yeah, breaking the bricks apart is a bitch.. especially at first.. once you've got the whole top broken off, it gets a little easier to break it up.. but, like you said, I haven't been able to find the smaller bricks locally.. after reading about you guys having success with the pre-expanded bags, I'm kinda looking forward to trying  them out.. I've got a couple bags, but I've been holding on to them because I wasn't  too sure how well they'd work.

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

#27778394 - 05/15/22 01:56 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

if i had a huge ass tub iโ€™d just make the whole brick at once, but i donโ€™t really have room fore more tubs for that shit. yeah, once you can break it up a bit itโ€™s not AS bad but stillโ€ฆ itโ€™s a bitch lol.

i would say just watch out for the pre expanded stuff potentially having additives, but if itโ€™s just pure coco i donโ€™t see how itโ€™s functionally any different than expanding jt yourself

--------------------

OfflineTheTimelessDon
The Don

#27778812 - 05/15/22 05:09 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Just ran and took these pics for you guys!  Two shoeboxes I'm running currently with a Burpee coir bag from the store to test different mycelium growth patterns from agar.

Practically haven't done anything to these except for checking to see how surface is feeling twice before this time here.  All burpee coir bag with some vermiculite.  I'd call the ratio on these around 1 : 2.5  (1 part spawn, 2 parts coir, 1/2 part verm)  And a layer of plain coir, spread over the top to cover it all up!

This is mycelium that came out of an agar plate on 4/28 and today is 5/15 *17 days* and there's a shit ton of pins popping out now...  I'm estimating that by day 21 I will be getting close to around harvest time for the first flush, but anything can happen!

OfflineVibetyme
Smoke 1
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #27779215 - 05/15/22 08:16 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I have found a flat head screwdriver to be a big help when breaking up my big block of coir.

I just drive that bitch down in it and pry off chunks.  Then I weigh it up so I can add the proper amount of h20.

--------------------
Vibetyme's LAGM 2.022

Vibetyme's LAGM_23

Vibetyme's LAGM_24

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

Re: Can someone identify what this is? [Re: Vibetyme]
    #27779280 - 05/15/22 08:43 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

idk why that didnโ€™t ever occur to me but iโ€™ll have to give that a try next time i do. iโ€™ve tried an axe & other stuff but the flat head makes a lot more sense lol

--------------------

OfflineTheTimelessDon
The Don

#27779438 - 05/15/22 09:52 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hazyhorse said:
.... iโ€™ve tried an axe & other stuff ...

:mygodthehorror:

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

#27779493 - 05/15/22 10:17 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

hahahahaha i know i know, iโ€™m a dumbass. i was likeโ€ฆ i mean it can chop woodโ€ฆ needless to say it wasnโ€™t super effective lol.

--------------------

OfflineTheTimelessDon
The Don

#27779570 - 05/15/22 11:06 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Lolol... I was more creeped out about the "other stuff" mystery.  The killer??  It was the Horse in the Stable with the Axe sounded crazy enough... Please don't tell us what "other stuff" could be.  hahaha

Offlinehazyhorse
scoobin

#27779608 - 05/15/22 11:37 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

itโ€™s nothing anyone needs to worry about! we all have other hobbies, right?? (:

--------------------

OfflineRotnpins
๐Ÿคฎ Rotten-Pins ๐Ÿ„
Male User Gallery

#27779867 - 05/16/22 06:18 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

:heresjohnny:

Offlinemrchrist
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27781101 - 05/17/22 04:43 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Okay, so... I decided to hook up the humidifier/pump and grow light because I got too curious.
This seemed to spurt a lot of pins and growth and seems to be going well (AFAIK).

Here's a picture of what it looks like now. (really need a little more space lol)

Had a lot of pins start on one cake.

After the change they started growing pretty fast.

One was short and fat for a long time.

After the change it started developing more.

However, I feared it was looking too black on the tip (while taking the pics lol) so I paniced and picked it (because it has been on the cake for a while now not growing before).

It twisted off very easy, however not a clean break out of the cake...
It is round on the bottom (like a top) no indication of a break, but you can see the remaining mushroom in the cake where it was.

The group of them (as you can probably see) its getting really white and fuzzy at the base of the mushrooms growing. (I'm thinking my timer doesn't work the reliably and the humidifier/pump was running a bit longer than intended)

The mushroom I picked felt a bit fuzzy on the stem. Not sure if that's worth noting or not.Just making an update for sake of the project and thread.

Also wondering: is there anything wrong with the single fat one I picked, or the group of them forming?

Edited by mrchrist (05/17/22 05:17 AM)

Offlinemrchrist
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27781297 - 05/17/22 08:25 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Nevermind I'm just being paranoid I think lmao.

There's an update though! Stay tuned for the next.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds