Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCatsLoveHouseMusic
SpeakerFreaker
 User Gallery

Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB?
    #27776442 - 05/14/22 05:54 AM (12 days, 10 hours ago)

So just curious, seen multiple people lately say they don’t use SHIPS and inject into open lid in SAB. You open the lid even less when injecting, thoughts on this?

I’d SHIPS really do help, are there better quality ones? I was going to use syringe filters and SHIP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemyc_ousin_vinny
Keeping_It_Real
 User Gallery

Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: CatsLoveHouseMusic]
    #27776453 - 05/14/22 06:02 AM (12 days, 10 hours ago)

To my mind SHIPS add an unnecessary contamination vector. The fewer vectors the better.

--------------------
Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK

Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers.
Hamloaf's Super Simple, 10/10, Rye Berry Prep Tek Like a Boss.
Pastywhyte's Easy Lid Tek
Pastywhyte’s Ez dialed monotubs

"Sitting in a bunker here behind my wall..."

"So we all grow mushrooms, and since we grow mushrooms - we have mushrooms. Since we have mushrooms - we eat mushrooms. Since we eat mushrooms - we trip ballz. Finally since we trip ballz - we think fucked up shit that nobody even remotely square will ever give two fucks about even when the stars align." __Smartattack

InvisibleGoatriderS
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Loc: Germany
Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: CatsLoveHouseMusic] * 2
    #27776455 - 05/14/22 06:02 AM (12 days, 10 hours ago)

The needle gets in contact with the SHIP,
and you just can sanitize it.
So it´s the same contam vector to me as opening the lid.
I never used SHIPS though.

But maybe you wanna have a look here.
Just keep in mind that´s a tek from mad scientist fahtster,
you often need to think around the bend to get what he means.
Not disrespectful, faht is a genius :wink:

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

Invisiblemyc_ousin_vinny
Keeping_It_Real
 User Gallery

Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: Goatrider]
    #27776467 - 05/14/22 06:22 AM (12 days, 10 hours ago)

I would listen to Goatrider!

--------------------
Bod's Easy AF Search Engine TEK

Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers.
Hamloaf's Super Simple, 10/10, Rye Berry Prep Tek Like a Boss.
Pastywhyte's Easy Lid Tek
Pastywhyte’s Ez dialed monotubs

"Sitting in a bunker here behind my wall..."

"So we all grow mushrooms, and since we grow mushrooms - we have mushrooms. Since we have mushrooms - we eat mushrooms. Since we eat mushrooms - we trip ballz. Finally since we trip ballz - we think fucked up shit that nobody even remotely square will ever give two fucks about even when the stars align." __Smartattack

InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: myc_ousin_vinny]
    #27776482 - 05/14/22 06:49 AM (12 days, 9 hours ago)

I only pour LC these days, into bags. If your confident with your sterile teqnique I would say least say try it.

If you use a sterilize needle, that went throught the pressure cooker, you have a sterile needle.

I use 100ml jam jars so I pour a whole thing into a 5lb bag. But I try to make all my LC single use because it can contaminate so easily, and uniticeably. LC is probably the most delicate thing to culture.

I would suggest make yours single use no matter the size, and say fuck the lid. Remove the lid completely and suck up in a syringe, or pour straight from LC jar into your grain jars. Or suck it up and open the grain jars and shoot it in.

I'll always open my jars before I put a needle in my hand, removing the LC jar lidcompletely, and lossening the grain lids until they lift up a half a hair and let them rest on top during inoc.

The problem with shooting LC through a ship is it's sanitized, like mentioned in the thread above,
I think faht took steam from his PC to steam his ships...

Problem their is it leaves endospores behind and is probably just as effective as alcohol. I probably should have let him know that...

And you don't need syringe filters. Like for gas exchange?
That's what man filters or whatever they are have actually served no purpose to me after I paid way to much for some. SFDs tell I die.

--------------------
OmManiPadmeHum,OmManiPadmeHum, OmManiPadMeHum...
There are known knowns, there are known unknowns,
          there are also unknown unknowns.
With great privilege comes great responsibility.

Quantom Qups PROOF AND Soft Drops
Turn your Swab to a Syringe and Syringe to Multiple Syringes!
No Pours (QuantomStyal)
Magic Fruit Leather
DMT for IandI

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: QM33]
    #27776606 - 05/14/22 10:01 AM (12 days, 6 hours ago)

They’re not necessary at all, just convenient. For knocking stuff up I wouldn’t bother, but I have a quart ot lions mane lc that I put a ship on because I fill up syringes regularly. For me ships are more about getting things out of the jar.

But if you’re using SAB and have sterile technique issues and get a lot of mold contam, using a ship would help a lot for inoculation also.

--------------------
LAGM2020

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shakedown St.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: A.k.a]
    #27776614 - 05/14/22 10:10 AM (12 days, 6 hours ago)

I used to use ships in a sab. In front of a filter, not so much.

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear::dancingbear:
#ParafilmGang
"You can lead a hearse to water but you can't make it sink."
-The Cat

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: LotKid] * 2
    #27776809 - 05/14/22 01:22 PM (12 days, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

Problem their is it leaves endospores behind and is probably just as effective as alcohol. I probably should have let him know that...

I used it exclusively for the last 1/3 of my season using tap water in the pc and didn’t see any bacteria due to SHIP contact, but if I was really worried about it, I could pc the water and hose at pressure first to “sterilize” them before bringing the pressure back down and attaching the hose.  But until I see a problem, I won’t be doing that.

It was way more effective than an iso wipe alone, IME.  Same with making syringes with boiling tap water.. if there were endospores, I wouldn’t be getting the flushes I get not to mention I did a single test where I injected straight boiled tap water into a 4oz grain jar and nothing happened.. the grain sucked the water up and it sat there doing nothing until it eventually dried up after a month and a half

It would be pretty easy to test if there is endospores present in boiled tap water.. boil some and streak a plate… you show me bacteria growing and I’ll pay more attention to pc’ing my tap water first but I’m just not seeing these endospores you speak of.  The main action of the steam pen is to blow the iso wiped area clear of any residual contamination left after the wipe and from what I’ve experienced, it’s very effective in doing that

Before you go saying “ probably just as effective as alcohol” prove me wrong through actual experience.  It’s incredibly hard to get ppl to try things no one else is doing (I’ve been trying to get ppl to try drying their cultures out for the last 15 years) and it’s even harder when you got others chopping you down at the knees

Let’s put aside bacteria and assume for a second that there isn’t endospores in the water… about 1 in 30 SHIP pokes I would iso wipe the area and a piece of dust or what have you would land on the spot I’m about to inject through (in the time between the wipe and injection) and my jar would be contaminated with mold (I know it was the poke because it’s the only jar in a group of jars using the same glc syringe). That’s not going to happen when a jet of steam is pointed at the injection site.. that alone makes it more effective than alcohol.

Do me a favor and point out the endospores in these pics:

I used boiled tap water for all syringes and steam pen for inoculations.. that’s 23 qts of grain, 0 bacteria, 0 mold and those are just the ones when I started using the steam pen… there’s many more of boiled tap water syringes prior to that

Sorry for the threadjack

Quote:

faht is a genius

Oh god, no.. a genius would’ve figured this shit out 20 years ago, I’m just persistent.  Yesterday I wore my shirt and one sock inside out all day.

I told my gf last week that some ppl on the internet think I’m a genius while she was taking a drink of coke and she spit soda all over the couch and herself laughing and then patted my hand and said, aww.. yes honey, you are a genius.  The look in her eyes said it all

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: fahtster]
    #27776867 - 05/14/22 02:18 PM (12 days, 2 hours ago)

SHIPs are designed for open air work, you don't need to use a SAB to work with them at all. That's the "hole" point (get it, see what I did there?) 

Whereas pouring in would require a SAB or filtered work station.

With a SHIP you mechanically remove everything from the smooth surface with the wiping action plus the sanitization action of the IPA, then insert the heated and cooled needle (sizzle drip) before anything has a chance to land on it. Works great for some situations.

The biggest problem is coring with huge LC needles. 20g needles work fine.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek - Sandman's Glass Petri Tek -

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Edited by sandman420 (05/14/22 02:22 PM)

InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: fahtster]
    #27776991 - 05/14/22 04:13 PM (12 days, 24 minutes ago)

Quote:

fahtster said:
Quote:

It was way more effective than an iso wipe alone, IME. 
if there were endospores, I wouldn’t be getting the flushes I get not to mention I did a single test where I injected straight boiled tap water into a 4oz grain jar and nothing happened.. the grain sucked the water up and it sat there doing nothing until it eventually dried up after a month and a half

It would be pretty easy to test if there is endospores present in boiled tap water.. boil some and streak a plate… you show me bacteria growing and I’ll pay more attention to pc’ing my tap water first but I’m

Do me a favor and point out the endospores in these pics:

And that's a solid grain jar experiment you did, but to think that nothing would grow on a petri dish because you boiled your water, well fuck man I would be thuroughly surprised with your cities water and all of the plumbing up to your house.

I mean it would be a pretty easy test. I could put water in a jar, boil it, swab in front of flow. Simple enough.

If stuff is landing on your ship after a iso wipe I'm assuming your not using a flow? Idk man ide have to go back reread your write up, I'm not trying to nit pick you I'm just telling you my understandings based on research.
Alot of stuff works, I think we've been here before....

I stopped using ships a whole ago, and have made several other adjustments in the process so I can say that stopping using ships helped even. But based on science, these are the facts.

Iso kills 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria, steam does about the same. You might not think there's endospores in your water, but hey seems like it's worth a test. For the sake of psience

And hey man, noone would deny your grows, but even you might be able to save some time on ships, IMHO, but there's more than one way to grow a mushroom.

And shit idk, maybe even unscrewing a jar lid on a SAB would cause too much turbulence idk. I didn't want to turn this into a debate lol.

But we got ourselves an experiment that's for sure.

Btw, all isee in those pictures is a bunch of

BIG

FHAT

JUICY

DICKS!

Im just trying to be a real boy...

--------------------
OmManiPadmeHum,OmManiPadmeHum, OmManiPadMeHum...
There are known knowns, there are known unknowns,
          there are also unknown unknowns.
With great privilege comes great responsibility.

Quantom Qups PROOF AND Soft Drops
Turn your Swab to a Syringe and Syringe to Multiple Syringes!
No Pours (QuantomStyal)
Magic Fruit Leather
DMT for IandI

OfflineCatsLoveHouseMusic
SpeakerFreaker
 User Gallery

Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: A.k.a]
    #27777016 - 05/14/22 04:37 PM (12 days, 7 seconds ago)

I might buy some SHIPS as they’re cheap and try them out, especially for getting LC OUT. Any suggestions where to buy them (I know some must be better quality.)

Lastly, you think syringe filters would be worth it for LC?

InvisibleRotnpins
Pin-Head
 User Gallery

Loc: Sporetopia
Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: CatsLoveHouseMusic]
    #27777060 - 05/14/22 05:27 PM (11 days, 23 hours ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. -Albert Einstein

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. -Carl Sagan

Updated PF Tek

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are SHIPS even necessary? Why not inject into open lid in SAB? [Re: Rotnpins]
    #27777299 - 05/14/22 09:45 PM (11 days, 18 hours ago)

My ship is just a hole with a blob of silicone on it. The filters work for long term stuff, I have some 15 month old lc in jars with filters on them.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder