Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Loc: NY
Caseing used cakes (first caseing)
    #2776555 - 06/09/04 01:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

My FOAAF wanted me to post this question he asked me

"yo, i wanna try the basic caseing tek to see if ive graduated to caseing yet. i have 6 B+ cakes curently dunking beofre their third flush. i was thinking after this flush i would case them. i also have some taz manian jars coliniseing from a karo culture i made, ill probabley case them on their 2nd or third flush if this works.

Does casing produce allot more fruit, is it allot harder, any suggestion :smile: thanks"

--------------------
[url=http://kratom.tcotu.net Low Priced, High Quality Kratom[/url]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefict
phi
Re: Caseing used cakes (first caseing) [Re: AhronZombi]
    #2776582 - 06/09/04 01:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I would imagine that after two flushes, your mushies have consumed a good amount of nutrients from your substrate, and it would be difficult for the mycellium to reestablish itself after being crumbled. If you want to try it as an experiment and without high expectations, go for it and let us know. Otherwise, you might want to continue fruiting as cakes. If you're up for it, perhaps you could spawn to a bulk substrate.

Like I said, though, I'm not speaking from personal experience. Maybe someone else can provide an answer with more confidence.

peace
~fict

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: Caseing used cakes (first caseing) [Re: fict]
    #2776597 - 06/09/04 02:04 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for the info anyway. what is the differance between spawn to a bulk substrate and casing, i just thought of it as a giant caseing but i guess im wrong. have you or anyone else done it and is it difficult. sorry i havent researched spawning to bulk at all

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #2776651 - 06/09/04 02:31 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

AhronZombi said:
thanks for the info anyway. what is the differance between spawn to a bulk substrate and casing, i just thought of it as a giant caseing but i guess im wrong. have you or anyone else done it and is it difficult. sorry i havent researched spawning to bulk at all

The difference between spawning to a bulk substrate and casing is this:

Spawning to a bulk substrate...involves taking a colonized substrate such as your cake, breaking it up and putting it into pasturized horse poo for example...and letting the horse poo colonize from the colonized cake.
There are other bulk substrates you can use besides horse poo....such as horse poo and straw...cow manure...straw....cow manure and straw....worm poo...etc.

Casing is using a layer of non nutrious material over the top of your colonized substrate.
for example...breaking up your cakes and putting a coco coir/verm casing layer on top.

You wouldn't want to case your cakes after a 2nd flush...your cakes are almost spent and aren't worth casing...they are worht trying to spawning into a bulk substrate.

You can case a bulk substrate also.

Do some reading...and good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Edited by Roadkill (06/09/04 02:33 AM)

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: Caseing used cakes (first caseing) [Re: Roadkill]
    #2779642 - 06/10/04 12:25 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

ive been reading on bulk, and it seems allot easyer than caseing, am i right? any suggestions or tried and true methods you all would recomend

--------------------

Invisiblejonneill
Hero
    #2779738 - 06/10/04 01:08 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Bulk generally is just a term used for techniques intended to make large amounts of mushrooms: they use large amounts of [uncolonized] substrate and spawn, pre-colonized substrate. Most bulk teks use manure or some kind of straw as the substrate and grain as the spawn; they generally resist contamination more due to pasteurization and not sterilization, provide more nutrients for the mycelium, and allow for more aerated and generally better growing conditions. However, they are difficult and impractical for small amounts.

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
    #2779760 - 06/10/04 01:13 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

AhronZombi said:
ive been reading on bulk, and it seems allot easyer than caseing, am i right? any suggestions or tried and true methods you all would recomend

Hmm, when you go with bulk, most of the time you will want to use a casing layer over the colonized bulk (straw, manure, whatever you want) so saying that bulk is easier than casing doesnt really make sense since you need to master both to be truly successful.

On the other hand, it is not that hard. If i knew it was so effective and relatively easy, I would have jumped straight to bulk casings at start.

The problem with bulk is your setup. From my experience, going for bulk with a cheap non-automated terrarium isn't really effective. It works pretty fine but you'll get better yields just by building a better terrarium. What I mean is that a 100% grain casing might yeild better in an automated terrarium with a lot of air exchange compared to a bulk casing in a rubermaid and perlite with 3 air exchange per day.

Doesn't hurt to experiment tho.

Good luck!

.fs.

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #2779762 - 06/10/04 01:14 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

old cakes often have contams lurking waiting to spring forth... i wouldn't use them as spawn... if you do, be sure to use cakes that are still firm, they get mushy when contams are colonizing

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: Caseing used cakes (first caseing) [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #2779807 - 06/10/04 01:39 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

im on my 3rd flush and they are still pretty firm

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation