Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Writer's Block
    #2773189 - 06/07/04 11:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I was tempted to make this thread in the Support forum, but I figured that since it related to music, I could get some better feedback in this forum. I'm a singer/songwriter/guitarist, but I haven't written any songs in months. I've got a bad case of writer's block. I think part of it might be self-intimidation. The last few songs I wrote were some of my most epic work ever, and I feel like I need to top it, but I can't think of anything. Any suggestions for curing writer's block?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHBS
Male

Re: Writer's Block [Re: silversoul7]
    #2773255 - 06/07/04 11:35 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i have found that creativity comes in waves, and you can't force out naturally good work, it will come to you in time

when i TRY to draw, for example, there's no groove and it just looks lame

but when i feel the creativity flowing through me at seemingly random times, then everything comes out without effort

OfflineDannyT
Danny Tanner
 User Gallery
Loc: Souf Carolina
    #2773287 - 06/07/04 11:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I recently had trouble getting started on a track that I liked that reflected my mood.  It was a strange period, and I ended up not sleeping for 30 something hours, when i heard the garbage men coming to pick trash up at 5am, it just struck me out of nowhere and I had something that was working out how I wanted it in the song and all was well.  I think i worked on it from 5:30-2pm straight and had crazy good flow with my productiveness.  I however, don't do the singer/songwriter thing, my crap is mainly pretty experimental electronic stuff, so not sure what would work for you.. That whole few days was just sort of strange and everything added up for me.  So, anyhoo, hope you are able to get back on track soon!  :thumbup:

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #2773393 - 06/08/04 12:31 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

just start playing, play something that you think is sub-par and not as good as what you're capable of.

When I write stuff on the guitar, I start very simple and just work it and wind it into something completely different, and just that process alone seems to generate creativity out of thin air.

The point is to jump-start your writing process, not necessarily right off the bat trying to write the best stuff you can imagine. But, it will lead to it.

Just play, anything, and it will come eventually.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Writer's Block [Re: Blastrid]
    #2773457 - 06/08/04 01:12 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Blastrid said:

Just play, anything, and it will come eventually.

The best advice!  As a writer, whenever I get writers block or am feeling uncreative, I find that if I just get started, I tend to start feeling more creative.  :sun:  Just *doing it* when you're feeling uninspired sometimes sparks that energy inside of you. 

good luck! 

*me*

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#2773465 - 06/08/04 01:16 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

play f#m for 4 beats, then f major for 4 beats... that should do it :smile:

try write different than normal (for you). like: "morning grey ignites a twisted mesh of foreign shapes and sounds. i wish the ceiling was the ground." - Hum

thats just a nice way of saying the he is up late and his world has been flipped upside down... and it sure is pretty.

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
    #2775020 - 06/08/04 04:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Good advice one and all.. Don't know if my two cents will be of any help, but you're not alone silversoul7. I wrote a 10 minute epic as a final piece for my degree, purely because length was the criteron. It was a good tune, but I couldn't write anyhing for about 9 months because I felt I could do no better. When you listen back to past masterpieces it's easy to smugly think "I did that" and forget the hours of toil you spent perfecting it. Sorry for the appaling cliche, but they say talent is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration, and I pretty much agree with it.. Stick at it have faith in yourself- don't discard something you're not sure about- record it, play with it, re work it- eventually something amazing will happen. Don't give up after an hour if it takes 2 hours to write something new, no matter how short.

And whatever happens be sure to share it with your fellow shroomerites!

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

Offlinetomu
Surveyor

Loc: Oslo
Re: Writer's Block [Re: Rob_K]
    #2783938 - 06/11/04 06:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I mainly express my creativity in writing, mostly prose poetry or whatever you'd like to call it, but sometimes I just can't do it, you know, can't get really concentrated about it, even though i feel creative. So often I start do draw, or express my self in some other way, like making little things out of clay and putting them in the oven, that's very much fun by the way.  :grin:
And then I feel I'm doing something, like from the heart or something, you know, or just letting out what's on my "mind" maybe, anyway,  :spliff:, it doesn't matter in which form it comes out ... for me anyways.
'Course, if you're a professional artist and got deadlines and stuff --- well I only mean to say that it might be good to "talk to sommebody else" than, say, your guitar, perhaps a pen or something. It'll of course come back to you, but it may be important to keep it flowing in some way.

And yeah, if you're a musician, it's really good input to jam with someone. If it gets groovy, then it's so amazing to play, the whole day just grooves away.. aah, man.
Good luck writing some beautiful songs. Music is the best.

--------------------
"

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#2784905 - 06/11/04 02:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:

Any suggestions for curing writer's block?

i've heard of a certain Mushroom that is good medicine for that...

as TM said:

"Higher doses, more often, and TAKE NOTES!"

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: Writer's Block [Re: Middleman]
    #2786846 - 06/12/04 02:25 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I say don't have any expectations of what your work SHOULD be.

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
    #2788690 - 06/12/04 11:32 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

writer's block is a bitch. i had difficulty getting back into my flow with sketching and painting for about 2 years. i found that the problem was a confidence issue. i just got so fearful of pulling mistakes and that i was "dried up creative-wise" that it totally distracted my flow. i still catch myself falling into that train of thought from time to time but it isn't severe enough to shake off. someone else here said something that helped me in the past....force yourself to do art (music in your case) even if you don't really feel creative at the time. once i start things usually fall into style mode.

hope you fall back into your flow soon.
peace

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media