Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Carry the lesson into reality...
    #2772093 - 06/07/04 05:05 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Something I find frustrating and depressing (for me at least) is that I can't carry that special "essence" or "feeling, state of mind, etc" back into sobreity after having a successful high dose trip.

During a good, strong trip you have so many revelations. You convince yourself that every moment in your life is just going to get better and better and you can't wait until the sun rises so you can begin your new life. There just is no other possible way, your life will be better! But then.. you slowly come down and you feel yourself slowly going back to normal. Ugh, normality. Who the fuck wants that. Slowly and slowly your dream dies with the trip.

You go to sleep and wake up back in your boring life once again. Nothing has changed. One of the things I fear during a trip is going to sleep, because I know that once I wake up. Everything is exactly the same, maybe even a little bit worse.

I absolutley hate this. A few nights ago I put myself into a bad trip because I kept rehashing the thought of once this trip ends, everything will be so dull again. I will have just gone in a big circle back to where I started. Of all the questions asked and answered, none seem to matter. I was crying because I didn't want to go back to my life. Wake up too early. Work a shitty job. Etc. Have money control your life. Forever and ever.

Is there any possible way to keep the trip going on forever (In a state of mind kind of way. Hope seems possible again, you know).

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Carry the lesson into reality... [Re: adamj]
    #2772190 - 06/07/04 05:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You have identified the trap in using drugs to reach enlightenment... the effect goes away when the drugs wear off. The mind is still open to the idea, but the state of oneness has been lost. If you are serious and want to hold on to the "essence" forever, then I would recommend finding a Buddhist group that sits on a regular basis and start sitting with them. I have met monks that live the "essence", but it is a lifetime commitment; something which most of us are unwilling to make.

Just another spore in the wind.

#2772212 - 06/07/04 05:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Live in the moment. That is really one of the largest aspects of tripping that I have recovered. Time bends, slows down, speeds up, stands still. This is about perception. That sacrament (plant, mushroom, chemical, God) is only pushing you in a direction that you can and have already gone. It's only a key to the gate and not the other side in itself. I feel sometimes the same way as you but often I trip hard enough to thank God that it's over and does not continue forever. Days, weeks, months, years later the experiance becomes more as I become more. As I grow each trip I ever had and will have grows with me making new insights appear at any given time. If you were to trip everyday all day long than the experiance itself would become the norm, and as such could have a potential loss of meaning for you. Every now and again I think many of us have a "tripping season". That season is filled with many sittings/outings and possibly days or weeks continously on the other side. I have had these myself and when I come back here, to the center of me without the trip my life really is brand new. Normal is no longer normal here...... BTW if you have the strength and responsibility to use amanita muscaria you might go ask for some advice from it. I hadn't tripped in years and just recently purchased some quality amanitas a few weeks ago. There is nothing like the certainty that you are going to die to make life feel new again when you in fact don't end up dieing.

#2772414 - 06/07/04 06:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I think I know what the threadstarter means...

Although; for me, it's very positive, the trip as a whole.
Whenever I'm at the end of a trip; I always make some basic assumptions; here's a couple of them:

1) What an amazing experience is tripping; I must do it again sometime... Not in a addiction-sort of way; very innocent actually.
It's something different, and it's fun.

2) Life can be very dull. BUT!!! You must remember how you got to the tripping possibility; it's by staying alive; and if that means I have to work 8h/day in some sort of hellishly boring grocery store; so be it! Everybody is fucked in a way; so I just can't think that I'm the only one being boredd. -> A lot of people are being bored; but only a few have the chance to enjoy a great hallucinogenic experience! :smile:

3) New ways to look at life: a) try to enjoy the little things; it's hard, but not impossible  b) Enjoy people more often; sometimes the most interesting people turn out to be the ones you tried to avoid all your life! (and this is often a stranger just walking by. )
c) I got to keep myself a little healthier, etc.

4) I always make a drawing, to remind me that at least one material result has been established. Not that it's some kind of Van Gogh; it's mostly crap; but whenever I look back at it, I always remember what fun I had drawing the damn son of a b**** :wink:

5) This is another important lesson I learned during my first trip: Relax ! Relax ! Relax ! Don't worry so much; it's bad for your head, it's bad for your heart, blood pressure, environment, way of living.
Whenever you find yourself contemplating life over and over and over, remember to take a break in every once and a while.
If it means getting dead drunk, do it... If it means driving 400 miles away to pray in a small chapel, do it... Remember: relax!

I pretty much got the feeling you stated; but the more I tripped, the more I realized that all the worrying wasn't necessary.
Just try new stuff, don't think too much, and have fun;

or in the words of my role-model :p :
"Peace ... and happiness! Yeah, happiness! :smile:  "

- turn on, tune in, drop out ...
- peace, love and understanding ...

Re: Carry the lesson into reality... [Re: boeha]
    #2774417 - 06/08/04 12:36 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

yes. i can also highly recommend listening to buddhist lectures.
if there's no buddhist temple in your area, or you just want to
listen to something at your place, check out this link:
it's a set of lectures on the bases of buddhism by the venerable
bhikku khemasanto. don't know if this can directly help you with
carrying 'the lesson into reality', but it will help you understand
why we feel sorrow and how we can overcome it. thus it can help you
live 'the lesson called reality' :P
i completely understand what you are describing, but it's not a
phenomenon only experienced after trips. everything [from material
over emotions to character] is impermanent and thus you will never
be able to hold on to a certain feeling - everything keeps on changing.
this is where buddhism comes in and teaches you how to handle this
phenomenon and live life in happiness... word
i hope i make any sense

Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2774453 - 06/08/04 12:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

how to incorporate ANY realizations/illuminations into the "mundane" life ?

ram dass, tim leary, ralph metzner, alan watts, aldous huxley, huston smith, & many, many others have wondered the same thing...

a possible source of places to start might be found at places like www.csp.org ...
(there are other sites with their own collections of links & good advice, to be sure...)

do you meditate (by whatever name) on a regular basis ?

some seem to find that taking nootropics may help solidify the "imprinting" acquired during psychedelic sessions...

(imho, alan watts & huston smith have much to say about this subject...)

consider "the ten ox-herding pictures" --- the ninth frame shows the void... but the tenth frame shows the sage returning to the marketplace with bliss-bestowing hands...

old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2777176 - 06/09/04 08:46 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience