Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]
InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

Loc: 8a
Re: ALCOHOL EXTRACTION OF PSILOCYBIN [Re: kingfish4200]
    #26634146 - 04/28/20 10:59 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

:threadmonitor:

--------------------
I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination--  John Keats

Spore Trading List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSir Pentinite
Stranger all the time.

Loc: ation Location Location
Re: ALCOHOL EXTRACTION OF PSILOCYBIN [Re: kapps]
    #26636919 - 04/29/20 01:57 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kapps said:
I don't quite understand one thing. According to Shulgin psilocybin is almost insoluble in ethanol:

"This alkaloid is reasonably soluble in boiling water from which it can be nicely crystallized. It is less soluble in boiling methanol, and almost insoluble in boiling ethanol."

If one now uses a Soxhlet extractor with let's say 96% ethanol, why does it work so well according to some people here? Do the 4% water do the extraction? What is the optimal ethanol content then? Why is Shuling also saying, that ethanol is very efficient and one should use as less water as possible?

"And the extraction efficiency is optimum with methanol and almost as good with ethanol. With both, the less water present, the better."

This sounds contradictory to me. On the one hand he is saying that psilocybin is best soluble in water and almost insoluble in ethanol. But on the other hand there should be as less water present as possible if one uses ethanol. Please help. I'm not a chemist. Maybe I'm mixing up the meaning of "extraction efficiency" and solubility.

I was confused by this as well. Not being a chemist either, I would think that extraction efficiency would improve with higher solubility. :shrug:

Quote:

kapps said:
I tried the tek on the first page. The only things I modified were: I used a coffee filter and 70% ethanol instead of 95%. After boiling for 10 minutes and filtering I pointed a fan at the liquid and let it evaporate down to an amount at which 1ml equals 0.5g dried shrooms.
To test the extract I made a cup of hot choclate and put 5ml in it, which corresponds to 2.5g dry.
After 15 minutes I already felt the effects, with a peak at around one hour. However, the intensity was something I would expect from 1.5g dry or so. Very little OEV/CEV. The most pronounced effect was a quite heavy but pleasant body load. It felt as if I was in a hot whirlpool. My skin was feeling very warm to hot and I also felt a kind of tickling and energy flowing through my body. What I also liked was that there was absolutely no nausea.

Now I'm not sure what to think of it. The shrooms I used were ok. I tried one 13g shroom fresh from the cake two days before and it was approximately of the same intensity as the 5ml liquid, if not stronger. Maybe a tolerance issue?

Regardless of your method, you've bioassayed the extract and found how dosing with it correlates to dosing with the starting material. This happens every time someone takes a given amount and doesn't get the trip they were expecting. It's the nature of something with variable potency like mushrooms(weed too). I do it with every batch of lemon tek and adjust the dose size to match expectations. It always ends up very consistent and predictable.

If you homogenized and took 2.5g of the same mushrooms you extracted and the effect was stronger than the calculated equivalent of extract, then you can begin to suspect low extraction efficiency or potency being reduced by something in the extraction.

--------------------
"I thought to myself 'Boy, I'm sure glad there's nobody here to see this because this is exactly the sort of thing that gets people riled-up and they assume you're dying and that something has to be done. Where if you're alone, you know, you either come through it or you die, but in any case you avoid the fuss.'"
- Terrence McKenna

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

Loc: The outsideround
Re: ALCOHOL EXTRACTION OF PSILOCYBIN [Re: Sir Pentinite]
    #27713635 - 03/30/22 03:56 AM (2 years, 3 hours ago)

I’ve successfully used methanol to extract, and the results seem as active as the weight that went in.

I’ve tested durability and it seems stable if kept out of sunlight (and in mu case resolved in 40% ethanol) for at least 6 months.

Cold 93% ethanol won’t dissolve the extract. When heated above 60°C it will dissolve, and stay in solution, even when put in the freezer?

The resulting goo, is a mix of crystals and a honey like substance. It is salty (I believe urea) and really challenging to separate.

Anyone who suggests that cold everclear is a good solvent for psilocybin, I would challenge, though it may be the ‘other’ compounds block resolving the methanol extract.

Urea seems to have a similar solubility profile to psilocybin, and may well be the challenge. The extract works incredibly well, no nausea or balance issues. Most report its like a 6 hr MDMA experience withiut the serotonin depletion, or redosability

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread

Official New Zealand woodlovers grow thread

–––––    ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮    –––––
The Official Kiwi DMT and MAOI Thread

Offlines240779
Male Unread Journal User Gallery
Re: ALCOHOL EXTRACTION OF PSILOCYBIN [Re: kapps]
    #27713964 - 03/30/22 11:59 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Quote:

kapps said:
According to Shulgin psilocybin is almost insoluble in ethanol:

"And the extraction efficiency is optimum with methanol and almost as good with ethanol. With both, the less water present, the better."

This sounds contradictory to me. On the one hand he is saying that psilocybin is best soluble in water and almost insoluble in ethanol. But on the other hand there should be as less water present as possible if one uses ethanol. Please help. I'm not a chemist. Maybe I'm mixing up the meaning of "extraction efficiency" and solubility.

I'm not a chemist either and it sounds contradictory to me too. Hopefully someone can clarify, although the question would best be suited for our Chemistry and Pharmacology forum.

Offlineg041579
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: ALCOHOL EXTRACTION OF PSILOCYBIN [Re: coAsTal]
    #28028775 - 11/01/22 10:28 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Hello, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone uses a still

for extraction. I've been doing this with cannabis for some time to make

eatables. I have a air still that process a gallon at a time of mash.

The still is digitally controlled and I set it at ethanol's boil point.

I mix a 1/4 cup of coconut oil or mtc oil with the exaction.You can exact

the ethanol for reuse and that leaves the mushroom extract

and water. You then set your still to 212 degrees and that removes the

remaining water. This leaves you with the added coconut oil with the

mushroom extract, will this work with mushroom extract and coconut oil?

Thanks Phil

OfflineSub-Easy
slowly dying since birth
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA NC
Re: ALCOHOL EXTRACTION OF PSILOCYBIN [Re: g041579]
    #28029433 - 11/02/22 01:26 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I'm not sure what is going on here. Shroom liquor makes sense for allot of reasons. Mostly because you can transport it and what cop is going around testing liquor for drugs.

These other things I don't understand. I thought extreme heat and oxygen destroyed the molecule.

I've heard that pure psilocin will give you a rough trip compared to the whole mushrooms, because of the binifits of the other chemicals in the mushrooms that are complementary.

I also don't know why anyone would drink that green shit, or go through the trouble of chemical extraction if you could just buy a $70 contraption on Amazon.

Please tell me I can get mescaline crystals from this (flux still) looking bubbler.

Sounds fish.

--------------------
Just take um like you get um.

Those ephemeral spasms of infinity, in suspended animation, born across a boundless ether of existential misery aloft a revelry (of awe) for the abhorrently sublime.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract