Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinebaldur
Stranger

PC - Built in heater or not?
    #27711820 - 03/28/22 07:37 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

I'm wondering wether it's easier to work with a PC that has a built in heater, or if it's maybe faster and easier to work with a stove-top pressure cooker on a good powerful induction stove?

My All American 25x (20 years old) is quite slow at heating the water, but when I preheat the water on my induction stove, the whole process takes much shorter.

So isn't it just best to skip the internal heater and get a PC that I can fit on my induction stove?

Or is it maybe hard to keep the PC at the right PSI when using a stove-top version?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWeavieWonder
Time Travel Sucks
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: PC - Built in heater or not? [Re: baldur]
    #27711867 - 03/28/22 08:05 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

Presto makes a 23 qt cooker for induction burners. That would be a great setup. I never really liked the cookers with built-in heaters. The units are always way more expensive and heavy af. I don't think they heat up any faster either. I cook on the stove stop and temps stay pretty stable. I only check on it a few times during a two hour cycle.

OfflineB Traven
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 53 miles west of Venus
Re: PC - Built in heater or not? [Re: WeavieWonder]
    #27711903 - 03/28/22 08:28 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

I have the 23 quart presto and run it on a gas stove, I know exactly where to set and leave the dial for the entire run. Very straightforward.

However, I am constantly dreaming of an electric model, so that I could do my pressure cooking wherever I wanted. I guess a portable electric stovetop would also accomplish that goal to some extent.

--------------------
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

OfflineWeavieWonder
Time Travel Sucks
Male User Gallery

Re: PC - Built in heater or not? [Re: B Traven]
    #27711913 - 03/28/22 08:33 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

Hotplates work great. 1500 watts will do nicely for anything but an AA 941.

Invisiblephytophilia
symbiote

#27711914 - 03/28/22 08:33 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

Don’t know if this is just me or the older model I was using, but I do NOT recommend the All American Electric Pressure Sterilizer 25X-1 (I believe that’s the model number…). It does have a fancy built-in heating element but in my experience it requires almost constant babysitting as it builds pressure too well and doesn’t appear to have a way to automatically self-regulate pressure like the simpler stove top pressure cookers. Just wanted to warn folks away from that model if they’re shopping for a unit with built-in heat.

That said, my perhaps unpopular recommendation for small growers and first-timers is actually to use an Instant Pot. They naturally have a built-in heating element (so you can use it in any room…) and are nearly set-and-forget (just have to vent for five minutes at the start, and remember to double the cook times). Been using one for all my grows since it’s all I had in the beginning, but I still wouldn’t trade it for a “real” pressure cooker you need to babysit. Just my two cents.

OfflineB Traven
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 53 miles west of Venus
Re: PC - Built in heater or not? [Re: phytophilia]
    #27711950 - 03/28/22 09:04 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

I love using my instant pot for agar, and I could see how simply extending the time would work for sterilizing grain. No hate here! I just happen to need a lot more sterilizer space than my instant pot offers.

--------------------
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Offlinebaldur
Stranger

Re: PC - Built in heater or not? [Re: phytophilia]
    #27711983 - 03/28/22 09:22 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

Quote:

phytophilia said:
Don’t know if this is just me or the older model I was using, but I do NOT recommend the All American Electric Pressure Sterilizer 25X-1 (I believe that’s the model number…). It does have a fancy built-in heating element but in my experience it requires almost constant babysitting as it builds pressure too well and doesn’t appear to have a way to automatically self-regulate pressure like the simpler stove top pressure cookers. Just wanted to warn folks away from that model if they’re shopping for a unit with built-in heat.

Second that, I have a 20 year old one, and I kinda need to babysit it. Apparently the adjustment know is adjusting some clock, that decides how long the pot should be off when it turns off. Or at least they said something like that in the manual.

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

Folding@home Statistics
Re: PC - Built in heater or not? [Re: B Traven]
    #27711991 - 03/28/22 09:25 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

The benefit of PCs with a built in heating element is they can be used in more locations and can be used on timers to autoshutdown when complete.  This makes running a cycle while you sleep possible.  They are definitely NOT faster to heatup as they only have 1500w heaters where as a stove will typically have ~3000w large burners.  More watts/btus = faster heatup.

I've seen people on youtube (YMMV) put the 25/50/75x series on a burner during initial heatup to speed the process, but not sure if could recommend it as it seems pretty sketchy and possibly dangerous.  Pre-heating the water on the stove is definitely not a bad idea for speeding up things, but it's another step to do.

Offlinebaldur
Stranger

Re: PC - Built in heater or not? [Re: PBJ710]
    #27712005 - 03/28/22 09:34 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

Quote:

PBJ710 said:
The benefit of PCs with a built in heating element is they can be used in more locations and can be used on timers to autoshutdown when complete. 

So is the autoshutdown just a timer, or is it connected to the PSI measurement, so you actually set a timer for how long it should be once it reaches a PSI setpoint?

If it´s just a timer then I think that an electric stove with a built in timer could serve the same function.

Correct me if I´m missing something here :smile:

InvisibleAll41
Self

Re: PC - Built in heater or not? [Re: PBJ710]
    #27712012 - 03/28/22 09:40 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

Awesome idea PBJ thanks. I don't love electronic pcs they need a lot longer to sterilize (didn't know that and waisted a lot of time. )and burned some jars because it goes to keep warm automatically when it is finished. Maybe with a timer I will love it

OfflineWeavieWonder
Time Travel Sucks
Male User Gallery

#27712015 - 03/28/22 09:42 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

The AA 75x just has only a 60 minute timer on the unit, and it doesn't shut it off automatically. You would have to plug it into an external timer. You could accomplish this also with a hot plate. It's up to you whether you feel comfortable leaving a running PC unsupervised.

Edited by WeavieWonder (03/28/22 09:49 PM)

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

Folding@home Statistics
Re: PC - Built in heater or not? [Re: WeavieWonder]
    #27712226 - 03/29/22 12:31 AM (1 month, 18 days ago)

:whathesaid:

Honestly the built in timer is a waste for mycology purposes.  It's just a 'ding' timer to let you know when 0-60 minutes have passed thats intended for small dental/doctor office sterilization where they can be heard from in the office.  It doesn't control the power or temp in any way.

Setting the temp really isn't hard at all.  Just turn it up to 10 and watch the guage until it hits the max psi you want to use and then turn down the power knob until the power cycles off.  It will coast down about 4-5psi and then automatically kick back on and raise it back to the max temp then coast back down and repeat.

Make sure the timer you select can handle the wattage.  Something like this digital inline timer would work well.  Just make sure it's rated for the heater element wattage you intend to put behind it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds