Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Battling Disease
    #2768303 - 06/06/04 04:45 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Ever notice how everyone (such as Reagan) "fought courageously against their disease" as reported by the press. Seems today, no one just accepts it or succumbs to it passively or merely just "has" it.

How does one valiantly "fight a disease"? Does that mean spending millions on painful treatment that will have little effect? Does it mean trying every possible fringe modality? Does it mean vainly petition the Creator for a few more breaths with tears in your eyes?I don't necessarily see this as a glorious battle.

Is there something wrong with retiring in solitude or with your mate and your books and music and merely accepting the inevitable?

Must we "Rage! Rage! Against the dying of the light." How about, "Aw, fuck it! I am tired. I lived a full life. Let it come."

Perhaps all the rhetoric is for the survivors who get a jolting reminder of their own mortality.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

Re: Battling Disease [Re: Swami]
    #2768327 - 06/06/04 05:35 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Swami, what you are last describing is your idea of dying, people may had important plans with their life that they never had the opportunity to do, which could have made them feel happy, joyfull and they just don't want to die. And the battle that you mention consists of all these that you wrote and great will to live. Under some circumstances trying to keep your eyes open keeps you alive. I don't see why you think that this battle should be a glorious one and how you determine a glorious battle...

Also, I don't see the point of this post since you are talking about something which is extremely subjective, there is not something wrong but also there is not something right with merely accepting something that you under the circumstances think is inevitable. Ultimately, it is about the same question as if you like melons for example(just to show how passionate a view of this matter is).

--------------------

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #2768431 - 06/06/04 08:13 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

When you're an old man I hope your family members have more compassion for you than you apparently have. My father has Myasthenia Gravis. He takes medication and takes care of himself and he is not suffering nearly as much as he would be if he were just laying back and accepting it. He would not be able to see at all if he weren't fighting it.
Do me a favor, if a mosqitoe bites you and you get west nile, as the headache, high fever, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, and paralysis sets in stay on your couch and don't go for help. You can make a post saying "hey guys i just got a horrible disease and i'm not fighting it!" and I'll have more respect for you.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2768629 - 06/06/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Could be that using the terms "fought courageously" is just semantics. Fighting courageously could mean taking all measures to conquer it, and it could also mean accepting that you are going to die but you face death courageously.

I don't know if I would spend millions to prolong my life is death was inevitable. I would probably just try to keep going as long as possible. But if my life was reduced to breathing on a ventilator, or whatever it's called, day in and out, I would pull the plug myself.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#2768897 - 06/06/04 12:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Is there something wrong with retiring in solitude or with your mate and your books and music and merely accepting the inevitable?

Yes that's the perfect plan for someone with Alzheimers.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Battling Disease [Re: question_for_joo]
    #2769256 - 06/06/04 02:56 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

When you're an old man I hope your family members have more compassion for you than you apparently have.

Compassion, nor lack of it, was not mentioned or implied in any form. Not sure what you were reading.

Perhaps you could explain to me how Reagan "bravely battled Alzheimer's disease" instead of "just having Alzheimer's disease". I had severe bronchitis bordering on pneumonia a few years ago. There was no courageous battle. I merely lay in bed passively until I got well.

--------------------

Edited by Swami (06/06/04 03:04 PM)

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #2769575 - 06/06/04 04:49 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

As a young person (18) with a very serious illness, I can honestly say that there IS truth when someone says "battling a disease with courage".

Once you get a paycheck, there are many ways to spend it.

once you get a disease, there are MANY avenues to take. You can just accept your fate, and take what has been handed to you, and not do anythinga bout it. Or, you can do your best to receive medical treatment, in hopes that they can relieve you of your symptoms.

Some people even go the extra mile, and make mild changes in their lifestyles, along with medical treatment.

A true battle with disease is when you look at your disease honestly, and your bodies condition, and you say "I'm going to do everything possible to heal and assist my body" and this means making ANY life-changes accordingly.

Not everyone is willing to go on a strict diet, practice yoga/meditation, fast, and do painful medical proceedures....all so their body can rest a little easier.

When someone does however, that is a battle, in which you are couragesouly fighting disease.

Swami I do indeed see your point, but please try to see mine, someone who has a disease.

Dis-ease in the body is just like dis-ease outside of your body. it reacts based on YOUR actions (not always), and most of the time WHAT YOU DO effects your disease, including your thoughts.

Its up to you to bravely stand up for your body and mind.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Battling Disease [Re: tekramrepus]
    #2769608 - 06/06/04 04:58 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

A true battle with disease is when you look at your disease honestly, and your bodies condition, and you say "I'm going to do everything possible to heal and assist my body" and this means making ANY life-changes accordingly.

Agreed. But is it courageous or merely a rational approach to self-healing?

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2769651 - 06/06/04 05:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Did someone have to keep reminding Reagan to fight courageously against his disease?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

#2769746 - 06/06/04 05:44 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yesterday I courageously ate a steak to curb my hunger.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #2769801 - 06/06/04 06:08 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Haha, that made me laugh. It is true, the media nowadays makes all terms merely semantics by using them in every occassion, such as calling every military member that dies a "hero." This is the same way. You can fight fatal diseases through an intense will to live and prolong your life temporarily, to finish one last goal or wait for a loved one to show up or such, and then when it is accomplished just give in and succumb to death. Though this is a bit misleading, as its always fighting a losing battle, it would be more accurately represented by saying fighting to create a few more moments before your body collapses into death. However, the media tries to make it sound like every person who dies does this, when the truth is most people don't even have the willpower to deal with the pain and exhaustion of fighting a fatal disease and will just give in.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Battling Disease [Re: ]
    #2770711 - 06/07/04 01:22 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yesterday I courageously ate a steak to curb my hunger.

*Tear comes to eye* I am so proud of you, my son.

--------------------

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #2771197 - 06/07/04 09:43 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well what the hell is the point of this post anyway? Let's all be cold and sterile? Diseases are horrible things. We try to comfort those people who get them and the loved ones who suffer with them. We should take take down the colorful paintings they put up in childrens wards of hospitals cause they cost taxpayer money and don't serve any medical benefit.

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2771215 - 06/07/04 09:52 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I told you from the beggining, this post has no point at all. Waste of time.

--------------------

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #2771342 - 06/07/04 10:49 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I survived a three day old ruptured appendix.I had Gangrene and Peritonitis and was in a coma for three days. When I awoke to the sound of a saline/atibiotic drip being vacuumed from my intestines and for two weeks after I had to literally fight to live.I was specificaly told by the Dr.s I had less than a 10% chance of surviving when I was brought in and that HAD I NOT FOUGHT MENTALY AND EMOTIONALY I would not have had the strength to survive.What fighting a disease means is to be so ill one must consciously decide to engage the natural added energy of our emotions and thoughts,to with willfull intent resist the symptoms of one afliction, and using the power of ones will and thoughts supply additional energy to the physical contest between disease and wellness.
I am posting this now in defiance of ALL predicted outcomes (if one is interested one of my very first posts here was an acceptance of my imminent death).After the botched angiogram had given me a massive coronary(I am not plumbed at all normaly and they jigged when they should have jogged and punctured my heart.This cause clots to form and I lost 52% of my heart muscle and was left with severe atrial fibrillation.Many people like me die within a year or so.I will live on because I have CHOSEN TO LIVE!
Granted I am NOT 100% anymore nor will I ever be but I can still hit 105% capacity for my age on a treadmill and bench my weight(think benching is not a fight after a chest cracking?)
Through my life I have had more than my share of serious injury due to a basic risk taking component to my personality and now at 46 I do pay a heavy price in arthritis and scar tissue,my recent injury is quite serious but I have become somewhat jaded regarding overall seriousness of the situation because I know that if I am willing to "fight" I will overcome 90% of any physical debility until I either conciously decide enough or I grow too weak,old and tired to fight any longer.
I hope this clears up what you were looking for Swami,it's the best I can give you.
WR:wexican:

--------------------
To old for this place

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2771395 - 06/07/04 11:12 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

We should take take down the colorful paintings they put up in childrens wards of hospitals cause they cost taxpayer money and don't serve any medical benefit.

Yes, that was the point. You were the only one clever enough to pick up on my hidden painting reference.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Battling Disease [Re: whiterasta]
    #2771406 - 06/07/04 11:16 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I hear ya in a way. :heart:

I just know that I had practically every childhood disease possible and some horrendous fevers later in life. Each time, I curled up in a ball shivering under the covers for days/weeks and my immune system did what it could. "I", the Swami persona, had no hand in the recovery whatsoever. If I lived or died, it was not up to "me" in any way.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2771606 - 06/07/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

It sounds like you think that "you" are not a part of your body. Is your consciousness separate from your physical self, Swami? :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Battling Disease [Re: trendal]
    #2771639 - 06/07/04 12:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Perhaps you can consciously command white blood cell #17,156,898,446 to attack a specific pathogen, but I am not that talented.

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2771652 - 06/07/04 12:24 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

maybe that white blood cell is a part of that which you call "me" or "you"... however "you" want to look at it.

--------------------
What?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds