Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineZydeceltico
Fascinated
 User Gallery
Loc: Northeast US
Gray Wispies
    #27674877 - 02/27/22 12:04 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Hi all,

Pretty new poster.....3rd grow. First agar to agar....

...and I'm wondering about these gray whispies in my grain.

My 3rd grow I decided to give agar a go and totally dig it. I had a MSS of PE and put it to a trusted supplier's agar plate and it took off like crazy. I transferred it three times in an SAB - basically following Bod's tek the entire way with intention to go to oats....which I did.

I have four and half pint jars all of which look great but one. The one has some weird gray hairy wispy looking thing going on. I'm wondering what ya'll think?

I'm going to attempt to attach photos.

The jar on the left is the questionable one.

This is a close up:

Thanks for the feedback

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OnlinePBJ710
Strangler

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gray Wispies [Re: Zydeceltico]
    #27674884 - 02/27/22 12:13 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

The jar on the left is definitely contaminated.

OfflineZydeceltico
Fascinated
 User Gallery
Re: Gray Wispies [Re: PBJ710]
    #27674910 - 02/27/22 12:32 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Yeah - I kinda figured it didn't look so "right."

What I can't figure out is how that one went south when the other four are going well.

OfflineInthepit
Aum Mani Padme Hum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Puerto Rico
    #27675046 - 02/27/22 05:26 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

I look at like it's a numbers game. I make 5 jars and 4 make it.
Then I make 4 shoeboxes and 3 make it.

Imagine hundreds of baby turtles hatching, climbing out of the sand,
scampering down to the ocean, while seagulls and tourists are picking them off!
The horror!!!

So...did you put a vent in your lids, poly or something.
Then you don't need the foil anymore.

--------------------
:sporedrop: GLOSSARY  :sporedrop: ACROMYMS!   :sporedrop: GETTING STARTED :sporedrop:

OnlinePBJ710
Strangler

Folding@home Statistics
    #27675156 - 02/27/22 10:00 AM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Zydeceltico said:
What I can't figure out is how that one went south when the other four are going well.

Sterile technique failure could easily explain it.  Do you have any pictures of your agar?

OfflineZydeceltico
Fascinated
 User Gallery
Re: Gray Wispies [Re: PBJ710]
    #27675462 - 02/27/22 02:32 PM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Quote:

PBJ710 said:
Sterile technique failure could easily explain it.  Do you have any pictures of your agar?

Hey - I 've attached a pic of my agar. Mind you this is a transfer from the plate that I used to noc up the jars.

I pc'ed the oats (my first time using a pc - got the Presto 23). 90 minutes at 15 psi.

SAB is in the garage at the moment. But it's a typical tub SAB. Everything was wiped down. Room with electric heat (no moving air) was disinfected heavily. Gloves. Mask. Shower before, etc. I will say that I don't think it was my agar. I think it was likely my actual technique getting my wedges into the jars. Another first and I have shaky hands. So maybe a little too much time going from flamed xacto, open plate, opening jar, etc.

I think I know where I messed up. I even opened the agar plates upside down but I didn't wiped them or the pint jars down with disinfectant wipes before opening them.

What do you think?

Edited by Zydeceltico (02/27/22 02:38 PM)

InvisibleTheStallionMang
Do U know who yur fuckin with?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #27675492 - 02/27/22 02:49 PM (3 months, 27 days ago)

In the first pic you posted with 3 jars, see how the one on the left has more moisture inside compared to the other two?
That's usually a good indicator that contams will show themselves within a few days

OfflineZydeceltico
Fascinated
 User Gallery
Re: Gray Wispies [Re: Inthepit]
    #27675495 - 02/27/22 02:52 PM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Inthepit said:
I look at like it's a numbers game. I make 5 jars and 4 make it.
Then I make 4 shoeboxes and 3 make it.

Imagine hundreds of baby turtles hatching, climbing out of the sand,
scampering down to the ocean, while seagulls and tourists are picking them off!
The horror!!!

So...did you put a vent in your lids, poly or something.
Then you don't need the foil anymore.

Yeah - I totally get the numbers game analogy - especially without super-controlled environments. I should be fair to myself though and mention that my first two grows (first was PF Tek, 2nd was Broke Boi because I had a leftover MSS were hugely successful - at least by my measure given they were first grows) - my first two grows were at my old house where temp and cleaniless (i.e., sterile technique) were much more controllable and easier than they are in my new house that I just moved in to a month a go.

I did put vents in the lids with polyfill and then wasn't entirely sure if I should remove the foil or not. That and I got carried away punching holes in the lids (no idea why) and each lid has 3 holes in it instead of one. All with polyfill. And this all went in the pc before noccing.

OfflineZydeceltico
Fascinated
 User Gallery
Re: Gray Wispies [Re: TheStallionMang]
    #27675501 - 02/27/22 02:55 PM (3 months, 27 days ago)

Quote:

TheStallionMang said:
In the first pic you posted with 3 jars, see how the one on the left has more moisture inside compared to the other two?
That's usually a good indicator that contams will show themselves within a few days

Great tip. Is there anything that can be done to alleviate condensation? more/less FAE? Dryer room? More stable room temp? I have these in a still-air bathroom that I am running an electric heater in and I don't change the temp from 71 degrees. I have to run the heater because it is an old house (no drafts though in this room) and this room gets cold if it doesn't have the heater running. Like really cold. Below 60 for sure.

InvisibleTheStallionMang
Do U know who yur fuckin with?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #27675525 - 02/27/22 03:12 PM (3 months, 27 days ago)

I think the condensation is a sign of contamination caused by the growth of the contam.  Assuming those other jars were PC'd at the same they should have the same moisture content to start with so I don't think there is anything to do about it except have clean spawn.  It's just something I noticed so maybe someone with more info will weigh in

OfflineZydeceltico
Fascinated
 User Gallery
Re: Gray Wispies [Re: TheStallionMang]
    #27675611 - 02/27/22 04:10 PM (3 months, 26 days ago)

Quote:

TheStallionMang said:
I think the condensation is a sign of contamination caused by the growth of the contam.  Assuming those other jars were PC'd at the same they should have the same moisture content to start with so I don't think there is anything to do about it except have clean spawn.  It's just something I noticed so maybe someone with more info will weigh in

Yeah - they were all done at exactly the same time. 'Tis a mystery :-)

OnlinePBJ710
Strangler

Folding@home Statistics
    #27675929 - 02/27/22 08:29 PM (3 months, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Zydeceltico said:
I think I know where I messed up. I even opened the agar plates upside down but I didn't wiped them or the pint jars down with disinfectant wipes before opening them.

What do you think?

Definitely wipe anything that goes in your SAB fully with ISO just before it enters the SAB.  There shouldn't be a need a rewipe after that though.

The culture looks clean and if the same culture was used to inoculate all of the jars that kind of rules out the culture as the cause. 

It's easy to bump something or have accidents while inoculating jars that cause one off contams like that. Don't sweat it too much, but use it as a learning lesson for future grows.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds