Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
dont be controlled by anyone
    #2766821 - 06/05/04 08:06 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

my parents were hippies and traveled cross country and met in Texas. they were both joined a christian church, a young and growing church. they were both in their early 20s. the pastor of the church and the other church leaders basically controlled the other members of the church.

to be active in the church meant being extremely competitive. so much gossip and shit like that. if one wanted to do something, they would have to ask the pastor and church leaders, then the pastor would pray over it with the other church leaders and they would come up with the answer.(answers usually worked to the benefit of the church), the church also disciplined people who wanted to be active in the church, if they would go against what they say.

my father lived with 6 other guys in a house owned by the church, my mother lived with 5 other women in a house owned by the church. now, these were real houses, not a david koresh, waco type of thing. so they these young adults all lived in these houses for free, they ddnt have to pay rent, and they got to be active in the church.

anything to get the edge over your brother in the church, you know, what will the church think of me if i do this or that? these were young adults, some naive, some looking for direction, some just trying to survive.

my parents had to get permission to date and marry. one of the guys that was a church leader told my mom that god told him that she souldnt date my father. later my mom found out that he liked her.
one time my parents snuck out to go on a date and the chruch found out...so the church grounded them...thats just one of the many stories.

another story: the church told my mother she couldnt go back to her home in michigan to go to her brothers wedding. he sent her the round-trip ticket and everything. she foolishly listened to the church and she didnt go. hers and her brothers (my uncle) relationship was rocky ever since.

of course, if you didnt care about being active in the church, then it didnt matter what the church told you was right and wrong...but this would mean your a bad christian.

skip to the present,
my brother is a christian...he takes everything in the bible so literally, and theres no diccussing any religious shit with him, unless you agree with him. if you dont agree with him then your stupid, foolish, never have experiened god, and never have had a spiritual experience.

his pastor told him to spank his kid with a switch, WTF!
my brother believes everything this duece bag says.
studies show kids who get spanked are more likely to be abusive when the get older. his kid is only 18 months old. even if you do believe in spanking, thats way to young to do it.

im so angry right now, how stupid can people be to listen and be controlled by other people like that. think for yourselves! eventually my parents married and realized the foolishness and pettiness of their church. they stopped going, eventually. they say that the church took advantage young people who were trying to find their way. most of these young people were hippies and drifters. my brother is going to learn the hard way, i guess. theres no talking to him about it either.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: dont be controlled by anyone [Re: CleverName]
    #2767506 - 06/06/04 12:03 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Wow. It is amazing people can believe that way, shows you the power of conditioning though.

Quote:

one of the guys that was a church leader told my mom that god told him that she souldnt date my father.

It's always interesting to me that such people can claim to speak to God, but why do they never show you how to get in touch with him on your own? It seems like it would save them a lot of work.

Offlinemuffelina81
Stranger
Re: dont be controlled by anyone [Re: zorbman]
    #2767732 - 06/06/04 01:13 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Its crazy how people fall into these things.
Like Christianity and many other religions are responsible for so many wars and killing in The name of God! What God is it that allows all this to happen in his name?
There is so much nonsense going on in the world. :confused:

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2767897 - 06/06/04 02:15 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

WTF?!  Hitting an 18 month old kid with a switch?!  Damn, that's just fucked up.  :nonono:

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: dont be controlled by anyone [Re: Renegade8]
    #2768785 - 06/06/04 01:36 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

>> There is so much nonsense going on in the world.

:frown: :frown: :frown:

>> Hitting an 18 month old kid with a switch?!

What is a "switch" in this context?

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: dont be controlled by anyone [Re: Ped]
    #2768859 - 06/06/04 02:18 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

a tree branch stick, there like a horse whip

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2769060 - 06/06/04 03:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Religion is ruining this world

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2769579 - 06/06/04 06:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup:

beliefs are rather off a lot of the times as many of us have been subjected to brainwashing and have believed in them either now or sometime in the past....

i know what you mean by not being able to talk to some of these folks as their ego's are so set in stone that anything else isn't worth listening to.  On the flipside, I also realized through experience that many people who do have faith in a certain religion will listen, they may not agree, but they'll still listen, and that's a good thing!

try to do this instead of getting mad at them, try to look at it from their perspective and see what it is about the relgion hat makes people not listen.  One of the main things is the idea of satan, and this is a hard one for many people to get past.  the reason I think this is a big problem is because if you say anything against the religion (ie using logic/reason) they will see you as the devil.  not the actual devil, but your words are tool that the devil is using to "tempt their faith."  it's an interesting concept that makes it that the believer will not listen to anyone else that has a different spirituality view.

this is like a self conditioning, a self enslavement, and it's a hard thing to break.

my brother grew up christian...he even tried to become a pastor. Then he met this muslim guy, who over time broke my brother down, and soon my brother became a muslim.  Everytime I talked to my brother, he was constantly telling me that this and that is "the way" and any other way I am going to hell.  I didn't let it get me mad a lot of the times (can't help those rare occasions :wink:) because I saw that behind all that nonsense, was a positive intent.  he just wanted to help me because he loves me. 

That is what gets to me about religions...they use the love we have for one another to pit people's ideas against each other. and it's funny because while my brother was under the influence of these beliefs, we was 200% sure of himself that he was correct.  :rolleyes:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: dont be controlled by anyone [Re: Strumpling]
    #2770023 - 06/06/04 09:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

"Religion is ruining this world"

??????

this whole world is founded on religion, everything that stands around us is a result of religious thought or a reaction to religious thought, how can a world that has been built upon the religions that have dominated human life for the past x00000000 years be ruined by its own foundations.

stray away from cliche'

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: dont be controlled by anyone [Re: Positronius]
    #2770052 - 06/06/04 10:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

This whole world isn't founded on religion, assuming you're just talking about humans also, religion may have always been in a part of the history of Homo sapiens and maybe before that, but it doesn't mean that the man who invented the wedge, or the wheel, or the car, did it for religious purposes. Some people are religious and others are logical, and I believe the logical people have done more to advance the human race, whether for good or for bad, than the religious ones, even if the religious ones seem like they're in control.

And modern religion is a bit different from earlier ones, some religions do seem to be ruining society more than others. When the Spanish burned all of the Mayans records, religion wasn't helping, it was ruining a civilization with a mathematics system that even nowadays is incomprehensible, when the Church stopped Galileo and oppressed the people from speaking on sciences that went against it religion wasn't helping.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: dont be controlled by anyone [Re: Ravus]
    #2770064 - 06/06/04 10:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

it doesnt matter if someone is logical, they developed within a religious atmosphere.

did Galileo grow up in a religious society? yes.

Religion 1, you 0

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology