Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLogosLinguist
Sentinel

Loc: Pac NW
Casing problems for a first timer.
    #2766299 - 06/05/04 03:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

My FOAF is trying to grow some mushrooms for the first time. Initially he used the Karo Tek to grow some mycellium. He highly recomends this procedure to ANYONE that wishes to grow. His PF Tek jars colonized in less than a week while he utilized only one cc of solution. He was very pleased. He then decided to case ten cakes in ten individual casings. He used small ziplock storage containers, lined the bottoms with coarse vermiculite, sprayed with h202 solution until damp. He then cut the cakes into five wafer pieces between .25 and .5 of an inch thick. He placed these slices onto the damp vermiculite and covered with 50/50 mix sterilized in the microwave. He however did not use any substance to reduce the 50/50 mixes ph level. He covered the containers with the clear blue plastic lids they come with, then punched a few holes in the corners. Its been 8 days since he put them into his incubator. One casing has performed wonderfully. Mycellium is growing through about 30% of the casing layer. Four of the casings have fallen victim to cobweb mold. The other five have done absolutely nothing. They are completely unchanged since the day they were put into the incubator. The casing layer is about .25 inch thick and the bottom layer of vermiculite was never sterilized. Can anybody provide any insight as to why the other casings have shown no signs of growth? How long should one wait on a casing before giving up on it? Also, do the blue ziplock lids provide too tight a seal for effective cultivation? Thank you, like I said, this is my friends first time, so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

--------------------
"Great men will never conform to the standards of small men, and he whos mission it is to overturn the world can hardly escape the title of revolutionary" Aleister Crowley

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

Re: Casing problems for a first timer. [Re: LogosLinguist]
    #2766305 - 06/05/04 03:43 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

how wet is the casings?

Offlinepsillyrabit
President

Re: Casing problems for a first timer. [Re: 0xYg3n]
    #2766345 - 06/05/04 04:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

From here on out I would HIGHLTY recommend you sterilize your verm layer, just wet it down and nuke just like that casing material. No reason not to. Whether this is the actual problem I don't know, but it never hurts.

OfflineLogosLinguist
Sentinel

Loc: Pac NW
Re: Casing problems for a first timer. [Re: psillyrabit]
    #2766385 - 06/05/04 04:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The casing layer seemed a little dry for the first few days, so he sprayed it with some more h202 solution. It now releases a little water when squeezed, but it might be a touch too moist. My friend really appreciates the quick responses!

--------------------
"Great men will never conform to the standards of small men, and he whos mission it is to overturn the world can hardly escape the title of revolutionary" Aleister Crowley

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation