Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan Flag
XBOX MODS!
    #2766149 - 06/05/04 12:41 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Do you own a xbox? If so did you mod it? If so what the fuck have you done to it!

My stats: :1up:
Mod Chip: x2.3b lite (blue)
Hard Drive: Stock Western Digital
DVD-ROM: Stock Phillips - Successfully plays CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R (DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW NOT TESTED)
DashBoard eVox +3935
BIOS: x2 4983.67

HARDWARE MODS: :pacman:
Clear jewl, lighted with a blue cold cathode.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Re: XBOX MODS! [Re: Fungi_x]
    #2766491 - 06/05/04 02:54 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Mod chip: OzXodus Xenium
Hard drive: Western Digital 80GB 7,200 RPM 8MB cache
DVD-ROM: Stock Phillips. I tried tweaking the pot to get it to read DVD+Rs and it worked brilliantly for a few weeks but now it hardly plays any discs at all. No matter, I load all my files over the network anyway.
Dashboard: Xbox Media Center (you should try it fungi_x it kicks the shit out of eVox!)
BIOS: X2 4981.06, modified in XBTool to run the fan at 50% speed instead of 10% and to skip that retarded flubber animation.

Hardware mods: Not a one. Well unless you count the resistor I accidentally broke off the motherboard, but it still works fine :smile:.

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
Folding@home Statistics
Re: XBOX MODS! [Re: ]
    #2766932 - 06/05/04 07:28 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have XBMC installed and run it from time to time, But I prefer eVox.

I have a question for you, Im trying to edit my bios with XBTool and I cant change anything... I want to change default.xdb to boot.xdb so it will not boot the games that I often leave in the drive, but still boot cd's that I need it to boot. I would also like to make my fan run @ 50% to.

But when I open up xbtool and load up my bios all the options are blured out.

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

#2767551 - 06/05/04 10:16 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

That's a good question, it took me a little while to figure out too.

XBTool only supports some BIOSes, here's the list from their site:

Xecuter2 4981 - Xecuter2 4979 - Xecuter2 4978.03 - Xecuter2 4977 - Xecuter2 4976.02 - Evox M7 - EvoX D.6 (plus Eject Fix versions)

Unfortunately it looks like 4983 won't ever be supported since X2 decided to encrypt it making modifications difficult if not impossible. I suggest you revert back to version 4981 of the X2 BIOS - it still has all the good features like in-game reset, and all the options can be edited in XBTool. Fortunately I haven't found a single bug in 4981, and as much as I like to be on the cutting edge I'd rather stick with a slightly older BIOS which is more customizable.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#2768030 - 06/06/04 01:28 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I loooooved it!!!

by god

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: XBOX MODS! [Re: zorbman]
    #2768083 - 06/06/04 01:47 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Are any mods worth it that still support xbox live?

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Re: XBOX MODS! [Re: Redo]
    #2768119 - 06/06/04 01:58 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

You can't use Xbox Live if your mod chip is enabled, but there are other services you can use to play online. Xlink is my favorite and there's XBConnect too. Neither one has as many users as Xbox Live but there are usually enough to get a game going. For the price I'd say it's worth it!

-Y

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2768138 - 06/06/04 02:04 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

In the current issue of 2600 (a zine I highly recommend) there is an article about installing Debian Linux on an XBOX without physically modifying any hardware. It exploits some kind of bug in 007:Agent Under Fire. Installing Linux will of course make it more like a PC and allow you to bypass certain copyrights schemes and allow you to use other software. It's a pretty neat trick,but it's highly technical and can make a paperwieght out of your XBOX if done wrong. I'll post the article if I find it.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Edited by monoamine (06/06/04 02:06 AM)

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Re: XBOX MODS! [Re: monoamine]
    #2768173 - 06/06/04 02:24 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, this 'softmod' allows you to flash the Xbox BIOS with a third party BIOS of your choice, basically giving you a mod-chip without having to install any hardware. It can be done using exploits in either 007: Agent Under Fire or MechAssault. However, it requires the use of a hacked save game file so you either need access to a modded Xbox or an Action Replay to get the save on a memory card. Once you have the memory card and a retail copy of either of those games, you have a mobile Xbox unlocking system :smile:. There are other font and audio exploits too, but all of them require some way to get custom data onto a memory card. More information can be found at Xbox Scene.

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2768314 - 06/06/04 05:18 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Sweet sweet ythan, I knew my action replay would do me good some day.

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
Folding@home Statistics
    #2769736 - 06/06/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

More information can be found at Xbox Scene.

Yep http://www.xbox-scene.com is the place. Its like the shroomery but for xbox and not shrooms!

Quote:

I suggest you revert back to version 4981 of the X2 BIOS

I guess it won't hurt to flash the second bank on my chip with a modded bios. Thanks for the help.

OfflineGanjaNamja
enthusiast

#2770335 - 06/06/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i wish i could mod mine...but it just seems too complicated...too much readin on xbox-scene

Offlinegir
Perceptionist

#2776987 - 06/09/04 03:13 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Mod Chip: HA! Had a Chameleon but ditched it and flashed the tsop (onboard bios)
Hard Drive: Seagate 120g
DVD-ROM: Samsung 616t rewired and firmware re-flashed with 605b firmware. Reads ANYTHING
DashBoard: eVox 3935+
BIOS: x2 4983.67
RAM: added 64mb for a total of 128mb
Hardware mods: Spliced a 4 port usb hub onto an Xbox controller extension cable for 4 usb ports on one controller port.

--------------------
Click HERE for a sample of one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever recorded!

Edited by gir (06/09/04 03:16 AM)

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
Folding@home Statistics
Re: XBOX MODS! [Re: GanjaNamja]
    #2782544 - 06/10/04 04:21 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Its really not that hard. basicly you just install the chip, flash the chip, then install evox. I suggest you use slayers to install all your software then just upgrade evox by hand.

OfflineGanjaNamja
enthusiast

#2782787 - 06/10/04 06:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i've briefly looked at installing a chip...seems pretty simple for the ones without soddering necessary...how difficult are the other steps? flashing the chip and installing evox

Edited by GanjaNamja (06/10/04 06:00 PM)

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #2782847 - 06/10/04 06:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

You dont need a chip do u.. I was under hte impresion that u can just flash the bios then install evox or whatever it si.. Oh and is the usb support in ur controler for a keyboard + mouse? And does anyone have linex on their xbox

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

#2782946 - 06/10/04 07:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah it really is pretty straightforward. It helps a lot if you already know about computers, that will be the main factor which determines how difficult the process is for you.

Installing the chip is very simple if you use a solderless adapter. However once again it's helpful if you've spent some time inside a computer so you're comfortable handling the components. You'll have to disassemble the Xbox and physically remove the motherboard to install a chip, and in order to do that you first have to remove the hard drive and DVD-ROM. It's a little cramped inside the Xbox case but Xbox Scene has great step-by-step instructions which tell you exactly what screws to remove and in what order. You will need two sizes of torx bits so it helps if you have a well-stocked toolkit, otherwise you'll need to go buy them.

If you have an old (v1.0) Xbox you'll still need to desolder about 12 LPC points on the motherboard even if you're using a solerless adapter. However this is easily accomplished using a 15 watt grounded tip soldering iron and some desoldering braid, you can get both for under $10 at Radio Shack. If you have any experience soldering or any desire to learn I personally recommend just skipping the solderless adapter entirely. The soldering required for adding a mod chip is (relatively) simple and straightforward. Practice on an old modem or sound card to make sure your skills are up to snuff, then go for it. Even if you screw up, it's likely you can just desolder your mistake and try again. However if you really feel uncomfortable, have bad eyesight or an unsteady hand, don't risk trashing your Xbox and just shell out the extra $10 so you can go solderless.

Once you have your modchip installed, you'll have to overwrite the (legal) Cromwell BIOS with an (illegal) BIOS of your choosing. Getting the BIOS file is a little more of a pain in the ass than just downloading off a web page since you have to join the #xbins IRC channel and private message a bot to get a login for the Xbins FTP. So here again it helps if you know how to use IRC and FTP beforehand.

Once you have the BIOS you have to get it on your Xbox. Some mod chips have built-in FTP or web servers allowing you to flash directly over your network, but unless you specifically choose a mod chip with this ability then chances are you'll need to flash off removable media (CD or DVD). This was the part which caused me the most grief. I followed directions perfectly, burned the BIOS to a DVD+RW, popped it in the Xbox and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't read. Of course now I know that most Xbox DVD drives won't recognize DVD+RW discs, but at the time I wasn't sure if the problem was due to a bad modchip installation, an improperly burned disc, the particular media I was using or other factors. The best media to use with all Xbox drives are high quality 650MB CD-RWs, so go pick up at least one TDK or Imation rewritable CD before you start.

Anyway once you have the BIOS burned to a disc your Xbox can read, the flashing process is very straightforward. You'll have to follow the directions for your particular modchip but it's no harder than flashing the BIOS of a computer (again, experience will let you know what to expect). After you have your new BIOS installed on your modchip, you have to go about formatting your hard drive and installing a dashboard.

First you'll want to back up the contents of your Xbox hard drive since it holds the official MS dash, all your savegames, etc. To do this you'll need to make a bootable CD containing a dash with an FTP server. You can take your pick, I personally recommend using EvoX for this step since it's the simplest to configure and run off CD. You'll need to get the EvoX files (again from the Xbins FTP) and edit its INI to match your network settings. This whole part can be a little confusing if you don't have a network or don't know how to set one up, so read up first and know if your network uses DHCP or static IP addresses, what your gateway is, whether you need a crossover cable (to go straight to a PC) or a patch cable (to go to a hub/switch), etc. Anyway once you set it up properly you can boot to the CD on your Xbox, then enter the IP address of your Xbox in any FTP program on your computer (I recommend FlashFXP) and transfer the drive contents over. You don't need everything, I'd back up your C and E drives.

Now that you're all backed up you'll want to repartition and format your Xbox's hard drive, but as long as you already have your Xbox open let me strongly recommend upgrading to a larger drive at this point. It's hardly any more trouble since you already have to remove the HD to gain access to the motherboard, and the stock drives range from only 6GB - 10GB which I can guarantee will not be enough once you realize the potential of an unlocked Xbox. I put in an 80GB drive since it's what I had lying around and I still filled it up within a month or so. Ideally you'll want a 5400 RPM drive since it will create less heat, but 7200 will work as well - especially if you use a modified BIOS with a faster fan speed. Replacing the hard drive is as easy as unscrewing a few screws, swapping a cable, possibly setting a jumper and screwing the new drive in. Drives over 120GB require a BIOS with LBA48 support and may require slightly different procedures for formatting. If you've ever installed a drive in a PC you should know what's involved.

Now you're almost done, you just have to format the hard drive with the FATX file system used by the Xbox and install a dash. There are a lot of all-in-one discs which handle the whole process for you, and if you're inexperienced then using one can really make this step easier. Slayer's autoinstall disc is a good one and there are some other ones too, but I wouldn't worry too much which you pick since you'll easily be able to customize your software and settings once the dash is installed. Boot to the disc, then follow the instructions in its manual to format your drive and install the dash software. The whole process is relatively simple since a good autoinstall disc will handle it all for you.

At this point you really should be good to go. If you restart your Xbox and it comes up running EvoX (or whatever dash you installed) then the process is complete. Make sure you can connect over FTP, if not then edit the network settings for your dash until you can. Now you can start loading software. XBMC is a great media player which can stream MP3s and videos over your network. There are emulators for pretty much every console up to and including the N64/Playstation. You can rent Xbox games from Blockbuster and rip them to your hard drive, or download games over the Internet. There's even an Xbox web browser. If you're feeling particularly ambitious, you can just install Linux and use your Xbox like a mini computer. I've had a modded Xbox for a while and I'm still finding cool and fun new stuff to do with it. Adding a modchip turns it from a mediocre console into an exceptional and inexpensive home entertainment system. I guarantee the time and money invested in modding your Xbox will be worth it.

Hope this overview helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Peace,

-Y

OfflineGanjaNamja
enthusiast

#2784271 - 06/11/04 09:01 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

wow ythan...thanks for this writeup...good reading

i think installing the modchip shouldn't be a problem since i have decent experience building computers...probably the hardest part of this for me will be the networking..using irc isn't a problem

are these mod chips that have the built in web servers more expensive? you have any recommendation on where to buy sodderless modchip?

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
Folding@home Statistics
    #2785386 - 06/11/04 02:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

solder less modchip are a bad way to go. they are always shorting out, and alot of time you have to take your xbox apart regularly to re aline the damn thing.

I suggest this: http://www.modchipman.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=120

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

#2785577 - 06/11/04 03:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I'm a little hesitant to recommend SmartXX due to their alleged GPL violations but it sounds like the SmartXX chip is the one with the features you want. It's compatible with the Xenium Solderless Adapter.

I've used solderless adapters for mod chip installs and I've never have a single problem with them. Perhaps if you move alot or you live somewhere prone to earthquakes it could get misaligned, but if your Xbox mostly just sits by your TV then a solderless install should be just as reliable as a soldered chip. Plus, it allows you to cleanly uninstall the modchip if you ever want to.

Peace,

-Y

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck