Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Thinking about buying a Motorcycle!
    #2764133 - 06/04/04 04:24 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

well, considering the gas prices lately and also the fact that i've always wanted one, i think i have justified my reasons for actually looking into buying a bike. does anyone else ride a bike daily or at least the majority of the week? i have a shitty car to ride in if the weather is bad, but i'd like to have a daily rider.

what kind of bike would be good for a beginner? how much is the insurance, usually? what's a good price for a good used bike...? i have a lot of questions..

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleClean
the lense
Male User Gallery

Re: Thinking about buying a Motorcycle! [Re: felix]
    #2764260 - 06/04/04 05:42 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

do it man DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!
i've been thinking exactly the same thing.  as far as beginner bikes i don't really know, but don't sell yourself short and get something that's not too powerful.  at least get like an 850cc if you think you could handle it :laugh:
a good friend of mine just bought a bike and her insurance is really goddamn cheap..like 90 or 100$/month for an insane ammount of coverage.
i'm wanting one so bad i dreamed about it last night.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #2764317 - 06/04/04 07:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

First thing you should do is take a motorcycle class down at a local community college. They let you ride their bikes while you figure out how to drive one.

Worry about insurance and buying one after that.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Re: Thinking about buying a Motorcycle! [Re: Clean]
    #2764363 - 06/04/04 07:38 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

850cc for someone who has never ridden a motorcycle before? Heh, what happens if the beginner rider gives too much throttle while in the middle of a turn? Cya later...

If you ask me, I say go for it. Motorcycling is a great experience and hobby to be a part of. I've been riding for just over 1 year now, and I love it. I own a 2003 Suzuki GS500 (perfect beginner bike, but it is considered a sport bike so insurance is a bitch)

tips in a nutshell:

- take a course at a local community college!!!

- buy gear!! helmet, jacket, and gloves an absolute minimum. Believe me, if a crash does happen, you'll be thanking yourself later. I know I did.

- Don't buy anything over 600cc for a first bike. Even a 600cc sportbike is too much for a beginner rider (not to mention the insurance is comparable to being ass raped by Satan), but some people will swear that they are great beginner bikes. Whatever, 600cc sportbikes have a top speed of 260kmh.... you figure it out.

- if and when you do get a new bike, consistently practise emergency stops and manuevers so they are practically instant reaction for you when the times comes to use them. If I did this, I could've saved myself from crashing the first time.

- avoid riding in groups

- whenever you finish a ride, if you aren't mentally exhausted (especially in the city) from being alert to everything around you, you aren't riding properly. Agressive defensive riding, hehe....

- Ride as if you are invisble to everyone around you. You know why? Because you are invisible to everyone around you. 9 out of 10 times when a car hits a motorcycle, the driver will say "I didn't even see them!"

- Wear bright colours to help stand out.

mm thats all I can think of for now.

Ride safe!

OfflineBluMonkee
keeper of thelittle people

Loc: Lookin' for an Incident
    #2764405 - 06/04/04 08:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

got one I'll sell ya'.......

--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Thinking about buying a Motorcycle! [Re: adamj]
    #2764409 - 06/04/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

great tips man, thanks alot! aggressive defensive sounds much better to me than passive defensive...
do you ride your bike daily or as your main commuter?

clean, i know what you mean man. getting a bike is becoming an obsession for me. especially after checking out and getting a ride on my uncles new custom harley. the thing sounds awesome and all the attention and humbleness he recieves just because he has a nice looking bike is just unheard of.

anyways, i don't know if i want to get a sportbike or not...

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Thinking about buying a Motorcycle! [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2764417 - 06/04/04 08:05 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

that's a nice one. how much? i'd love to get a harley, but i don't think i can afford one.

--------------------

OfflineBluMonkee

#2764431 - 06/04/04 08:12 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

$9,000  :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleScratcher
Stranger

Loc: eH
    #2764440 - 06/04/04 08:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hey felix, how's it goin'? Did you ever get anything from those seeds???

It's funny that you mention motorbikes right now, I used to ride everyday for years when I was younger but haven't rode in years and just today my new roommate let me take a spin on his bike and it was fuckin' awesome! I'm not sure of the model but it's a 2003 Yamaha crotch rocket with 600 cc. The thing red lines at 15,000 rpm which blew me away. Anyways, yeah, get a bike, you won't regret it but remember; drive defensively.

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Thinking about buying a Motorcycle! [Re: Scratcher]
    #2764455 - 06/04/04 08:26 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Scratcher!  long time no type, eh?  those seeds were top of the line!  awesome smoke.  i planted 2 seeds with a friend in northern california on vacatioin and came back to 5 pounds of grade AAA smoke.  both seeds turned out female..imagine that.  and i still have some seeds waiting for my metal halide to be set up. :wink: :wink:  i owe you.

anyways, i just can't decide if i want a crotch rocket rice burner or a cruiser like a harley...
can't wait to get a bike.

blumonkee, that's close to my budget...but not close enough.  :laugh:  anymore pics though?  how do you like it?

--------------------

OfflineBluMonkee

#2764461 - 06/04/04 08:30 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I love it  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #2765606 - 06/05/04 06:14 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I've been riding motorcycles for 30 years. I started riding mine more lately because of gas prices also.
I have a 2002 Kawasaki KLR 250 (just like the one seen here):

IMO, a dual sport (street legal dirt bike) is the only way to go, especially for beginners. You have much more control over one of these than any street bike. I can't tell you how many times in my life I have had to avoid an accident by jumping a curb or shooting off the road into dirt/grass/construction/etc. There were a few times I could not have saved it on a street bike. Unfortunately, this is just a fact of riding, cars do not see you and you will get cut off from time to time.

Whatever you do, get some kind of instruction from someone who is an experienced rider. Of course, this will be nessecary to get your motorcycle license anyway. And then, as soon as you start riding on the street....think defensively at all times! It can be dangerous.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
Re: Thinking about buying a Motorcycle! [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #2765614 - 06/05/04 06:31 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I dont know shit about bikes, engines and such... but I know a nice looking bike when I see one, BluMonkee, thats niiice :ooo: :cool:

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Thinking about buying a Motorcycle! [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #2766202 - 06/05/04 12:59 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

good advice tothesummit, thanks. is that a comfortable bike? i wouldn't mind picking one of those up to practice on for a while. are they expensive?

i'm thinking i'd rather get a cruiser type of bike later on just because of insurance. i hear the sportbikes hike your insurance up alot...

beautiful ride blumonkee.

--------------------

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#7025588 - 06/09/07 06:36 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

wow. was searching around to see if anybody else is enjoying the peak motorcycle season and came across this oldie. lol

well, almost 3 years later, i got a bike! it's absolutely awesome having this toy. in fact, i just got a new slip-on exhaust that sounds killer! along with some other goodies, this thing is my favorite toy ever. took me a while to get it, as you can see, but it was worth the wait and in fact doesn't even feel like it was actually almost 3 years. i even talked a friend into getting a bike and he did too and couldn't be happier. it's crazy when you're just cruising and see other motorcyclist's and they wave. it's like you're in some sort of club...lol

well, just felt like posting and wishing everybody a happy summer. it sure is getting nice out. ride safe and if you don't have a bike, just get one!

new Akrapovic slip-on sounds mean!

2007 Yamaha R6S - CANDY Red =)

--------------------

Invisibleadrug

#7025604 - 06/09/07 06:51 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I REALLY wish I could get a motorcycle. Not just for gas conservation, but I also think they're fun to ride. Plus, 'chicks on bikes' are totally cool. :smirk:

My only problem is, my 15 minute commute to work is all interstate driving, in high traffic volume areas, where I already almost get killed at least twice a day in my car. Driving a motorcycle every day through that stretch of interstate would be like suicide. EVENTUALLY, someone is going to hit me. I can feel it. And I'd rather be buckled into my car than perched precariously on a bike.

But if I can find a replacement for this job, maybe I can finally switch over!

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Thinking about buying a Motorcycle! [Re: adrug]
    #7025619 - 06/09/07 07:04 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

chicks on bikes are just hot. end of story, but i understand what you mean about about danger. it's like everybody else is trying to kill you...haha.

the thing about smaller bikes is they're real nimble. if somebody jumps in my lane, it's real easy to make room for them by dropping back a bit or throttling forward. but still. i mean especially in the morning when people aren't totally alert, i can see where you're coming from.

if you can switch over, maybe a cheap bike just for the weekends and stuff is fun too!

nice seeing you around adrug! you hottie =) lol

--------------------

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

#7025735 - 06/09/07 08:15 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Felix, TAKE THE MSF COURSE!

ok, now that that's out.
SWEET BIKE!!!!!!!!
That's fucking beautiful. The R6 is my favorite BY FAR of the 600's, and that seat cowl says RACING to me. I just pulled my '88 Ninja out of the garage, and i got her started in only 30 seconds. This bodes well for the summer. I'm going to street-fighter her.... that is, im going to make her ride-able without any of the plastics. I think sport bikes look so much better naked. Im going to get an aftermarket guage and headlight and make custom brackets to mount em. Plus, ill get some new blinkers, and she'll be good to go.
Engine purrs.

i know how you feel. i cant wait.
ill go take a picture, be right back.

--------------------

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

Re: Thinking about buying a Motorcycle! [Re: Colbadol]
    #7025966 - 06/09/07 09:47 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

just breaking the surface.
this willbe an all-summer project, imsure.
(she sounds like a forumula car without the muffler, btw :sun:)

--------------------

InvisibleGrizzyCappy
Explorer of Mind and Matter

Loc: TX - USA
Re: Thinking about buying a Motorcycle! [Re: Colbadol]
    #7026117 - 06/09/07 10:41 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Don't get an inline 4. Stick with a Vtwin carbed engine.

I say you get yourself a Ninja 250. Should cost you anywhere from $750 to $1250.

Take the MSF course at a nearby track. That will get your license without having to take the test. It's a tough test, but I passed my first time. A lot of people don't. Take the MSF.

Get the gear - $200 for a helmet, $100 for gloves, $300 for a jacket.

Get a rear light that flashes for your stops.
Keep your highbeam on during daytime.

Don't stare at a target, keep your eyes moving.

I love my bikes. If I don't ride for 24 hours I start to itch.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder