Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCaptainTrips420
SevereConvict

Has anyone tried spear fishing? * 1
    #27632384 - 01/25/22 03:59 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I have a 1 liter scuba tank that lasts about 125 full breaths the longest I can do it is about 15 minutes because I have taken scuba diving classes and it is very dangerous to hold your breath while ascending. It’s not if you took that breath above water but what happens is the water pressure is causing the air in your lungs to be a certain size as you rise it expands it can literally pop your lung. It doesn’t usually result in death but I get afraid because my weight it’s a little off I have lead weight to keep me neutrality buoyant. As you inhale it brings you up slightly not much with weight but I need more. It’s not going to pop your lungs unless it’s over 5-10 feet. But you can hold your breath as you go down. I can get a spear gun and hunt fish. I need it to be warmer though has anyone tried this?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Has anyone tried spear fishing? [Re: CaptainTrips420] * 1
    #27634681 - 01/27/22 03:45 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

No, but that's awesome. I bought a bow with attachments for bow fishing I never put together. I'm missing a screw or something. I was looking into spear guns before a long time ago. looks pretty cool. The fact you have scuba gear makes me jealous. We should throw our resources together and go to dry tortugas or something.  It's hard to find down ass people anymore,  everyone always has excuses and don't share the same passion. Sometimes you gotta go by yourself or don't go at all. Don't worry,  you'll meet some locals and have a good time. Hopefully you catch that fish you want. That sounds delicious thou bro. Maybe you should post pics

OfflineCaptainTrips420
SevereConvict

Re: Has anyone tried spear fishing? [Re: Ogla] * 1
    #27634800 - 01/27/22 07:08 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

My scuba stuff is with my brother it’s like a 20 minute drive from here but it’s currently 19 F out and all the ponds are frozen over. I don’t have a legit scuba license though but was planning on buying a legit scuba tank. The one I have is like this https://www.amazon.com/roadwi-Equipment-Inflatable-Underwater-Emergency/dp/B08F9FV5SP/ref=asc_df_B08F9FV5SP/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475811639986&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16461673441925986371&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017331&hvtargid=pla-1018547228544&psc=1
I would have to buy a lot more stuff a legit scuba setup has a Buoyancy compensator jacket that fills up with air so you can rise or descend with just a push of a button. But that’s multiple thousands of dollars. The way my scuba tank is filled is the same way you fill a PCP pellet gun. There’s a manual pump like this https://www.amazon.com/pcp-hand-pump/s?k=pcp+hand+pump but if I got a large tank I can get a fill adapter and fill my small tank really fast until I can afford to buy the full setup. I was also thinking of buying a PCP air gun at some point particularly this .22 https://www.sigsauer.com/sig-mcx-virtus-pcp-air-rifle-pellet.html
But it takes so long to pump it like over a thousand pumps but you can pay 5 dollars to fill a 120 CF, 15.3L tank that would fill my mini 15 times. I want a license so I can visit some ship wrecks from the 1800s you can go with a guide in the Great Lakes. You don’t need a license to fill a tank at a shop but if you do they make you sing a paper saying it’s not for scuba use. It’s just expensive but I like the idea of being able to select fish. When regular fishing getting a big one is luck but this would be up to me.

--------------------

InvisibleIcyurmt
Strange
 Unread Journal

Loc: 5a
Re: Has anyone tried spear fishing? [Re: CaptainTrips420] * 2
    #27635113 - 01/27/22 12:22 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

As a long time spearfisher my recommendation would be to ditch the tanks and all of the scuba gear. On top of needing a license for it, it's also expensive, really bulky, hard to move/hunt in, and completely unnecessary for what your trying to do.

Your best bet spearfishing is to learn to freedive. All you need for that is a pair of "free diving fins" (they are much longer and more efficient than scuba fins), a "low volume" mask, and a speargun or pole spear; nothing else, it's absolute simplicity at it's finest. Once you get down about ~30 ft your lungs compress enough where you will start to sink on your own, you will only need a couple of 1-2lb diving weights if water temp is too cold and you need to wear a wetsuit.

With a little bit of practice any healthy/active person should be able to get their breath holds up to close to 5 minutes with about a month's worth of diligent practice. That should get you comfortably hunting anywhere up to 60-70 ft depth. Google "o2 tables" and "Co2 tables" they are two different breath holding exercises that increase your body's ability to deal with excess carbon dioxide and lack of oxygen and will drastically increase your breath hold.

Last piece of advice and probably the most important; always dive with a partner, never spearfish alone, shallow water blackouts are real and they kill.

--------------------
👁️ 🌊 why you are empty.

Hunt for the habitat not the mushroom.

Edited by Icyurmt (01/27/22 12:37 PM)

OfflineCaptainTrips420
SevereConvict

Re: Has anyone tried spear fishing? [Re: Icyurmt] * 1
    #27635163 - 01/27/22 12:58 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I can hold my breath about 3 minutes without moving around. I actually am more interested in scuba diving so figured I would try both but the guns all expensive and stuff. I live by a river that gets northern pike and have fly fishing gear. Just need a steal wire and some pliers I’m not sticking my hand near that things mouth. Unfortunately they used to make paper and dump chemicals in the river you can’t eat the fish. There’s small and large mouth bass too. I’m waiting for April 1st to get a license if I get it now it expires March 31.

--------------------

InvisibleIcyurmt
Strange
 Unread Journal

Loc: 5a
Re: Has anyone tried spear fishing? [Re: CaptainTrips420] * 1
    #27635178 - 01/27/22 01:08 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Might want to look into your local/state laws then, I know it varies from place to place and I don't know where you are but a lot of areas do not allow spearfishing with scuba gear. Some places it can land you in jail for up to 5 years, other places require a special license ect.

If you're put off by the prices of the guns (I recommend Rob Allen or similar), pole spears are a cheaper alternative to check out, though you need to be a lot closer then with a gun.

--------------------
👁️ 🌊 why you are empty.

Hunt for the habitat not the mushroom.

Edited by Icyurmt (01/27/22 01:10 PM)

InvisibleOgla
 User Gallery

Re: Has anyone tried spear fishing? [Re: Icyurmt] * 1
    #27635927 - 01/28/22 05:43 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Gear gets expensive,  but it's worth it if its your passion. I'd say get something nice, but make sure it's not overkill. Idk your budget or how easy it is for you to travel, but it might be worth checking out Dry Tortugas near Florida. I hear it's a fisherman and snorkeling paradise.  I wanna bring my raft or dingy and try catching a sail fish there. Or just soak in the nice scenery

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies