Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMrGary52
Stranger
 User Gallery

Tincture making questions * 1
    #27631422 - 01/24/22 07:47 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I started making tinctures out of my dried shrooms last year, and using the tinctures for microdosing. I've made tincture strengths from 0.1gm to 0.5gm, all using the same method. I'm now wondering if I should upgrade my methodology.

I've been using the alcohol extraction method described in "The Psilocybin Mushroom Bible", which specifies powdering dried shrooms in a coffee grinder, adding ethanol, shaking, leaving it overnight, straining through a coffee filter, and evaporating away some of the alcohol.  This works and produces tinctures that work. Sometimes I'll leave the powder in the alcohol for several days, shaking periodically.

I did a bit of online research and see that some people recommend letting the material soak in the ethanol for anywhere from 3 days to a month, and shaking daily.

Another issue: some herbalists recommend doing a "double extraction": in which you take the mushroom powder in the filter after straining and simmer it in a volume of water until it reduces to have of its original volume, then cooling that and mixing the alcohol and water extractions together.

So I'm wondering if there's some sort of consensus about how to make the best tincture. I've got plenty of raw materials and time...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAgentClaret
Creepy Freakouts
Male

Re: Tincture making questions [Re: MrGary52]
    #27631509 - 01/24/22 09:19 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Following, I'm about to try this. But yeah, from what I've read the double extraction seems cool. And I've also read to leave the powder in there for at least a week if not longer...

InvisibleCreonAntigone
Stranger

#27631514 - 01/24/22 09:24 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MrGary52 said:

So I'm wondering if there's some sort of consensus about how to make the best tincture. I've got plenty of raw materials and time...

I would say no there's no consensus as tincture-making is a rare method. Most people here seem to make tea or just eat them. I see quite a few posts about unsuccessful or lackluster tincture results.

If you got plenty of raw materials and time: perhaps you could be the guinea pig and test all the different ways. You could even do a blind test to compare potency, to not be influenced by placebo.

Quote:

MrGary52 said:
Another issue: some herbalists recommend doing a "double extraction": in which you take the mushroom powder in the filter after straining and simmer it in a volume of water until it reduces to have of its original volume, then cooling that and mixing the alcohol and water extractions together.

I think this would be best. The reason would be that psilocybin is far more soluble in water than alcohol. I think a pure (95%) ethanol extraction really wouldn't capture all the actives. I believe it'd be more efficient to extract it first in tea, perhaps mixing it with ethanol until the final mixture is the desired alcohol concentration.

Probably no need to reduce the volume of liquid by half - people here say 10-15 minutes is usually enough to get all the actives. Just start with a level of liquid pretty close to what you're aiming for.

OfflineSingularFusion
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Tincture making questions [Re: CreonAntigone]
    #27632098 - 01/25/22 12:11 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

:popcorn::takingnotes: I'd also love to know how it is done right, never tried but read a lot of poor results from otherwise able people, very little rhyme or reason as to why it works or doesn't it seems

but yes I agree that pure alcohol is surely not the best option, maybe strong alcohol like 65 or 70% is the best of both worlds

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

OfflineDharmaForKarma
Tub monkey
Male

Re: Tincture making questions [Re: SingularFusion]
    #27632108 - 01/25/22 12:20 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Question: what are the benefits of alcohol based tincture vs water based (concentrated) tea? Especially considering the actives favor water over alcohol.

OfflineSingularFusion
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Tincture making questions [Re: DharmaForKarma]
    #27632118 - 01/25/22 12:25 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

storage potential at room temp and dosing with a small syringe full with no cooking facilities are my personal reasons for wanting it

edit: I realised after reading what I wrote you were probably thinking why don't I just eat them? Oh, because they are the devils work and they are fucking foul to eat. I honestly can't do it. Normally I make tea, but you can't make tea everywhere, it's not always convenient. Tincture would be cool

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Edited by SingularFusion (01/25/22 12:30 PM)

OfflineMrGary52
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Tincture making questions [Re: DharmaForKarma]
    #27632121 - 01/25/22 12:27 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Well, the big advantage for me is that I'm microdosing several mornings a week. A dropper-full of tincture with my coffee or morning vitamins is super convenient. I can make a 50ml tincture bottle-full at a specific concentration and dose 50+ times from that, knowing that the potency won't diminish very much.

Having said that, I'm now preparing a new batch, and I'm going to combine an alcohol extraction with a water extraction from the same batch of shrooms. I'll get a bigger batch and I'll see how that works. Experimentation is good!

I'm surprised to not get more definitive answers here, tho. I thought tincture dosing would be a common process.

OfflineDharmaForKarma
Tub monkey
Male

#27632163 - 01/25/22 12:58 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you for the additional information.

The folks who write about tea also mention it preserves very well frozen. Perfect for freshies too, when you have them. Perhaps dosing out the right size ice cubes may be helpful in some situations.

Offlinematjinks
Professor Jinks
I'm a teapot
Loc: United Kingdom
    #28371008 - 06/23/23 06:57 AM (9 months, 18 days ago)

Hi @MrGary52, I'm super interested in this discussion and I wondered since this post was Jan 2022 if you've had any progress in your methods for tincture making? I am fruiting some Golden Teacher with the aim to make tincture for micro dosing which by now since 2022 I am sure you know is very popular for mental health and wellness. My process is to harvest then de-humid at 60˚c, powder, then double extract with a Sous vide water bath process again at 60˚c in 80 proof, strain and evaporate to condense down, then water extract the filtered sludge at the same volume as the evaporated alcohol liquid then mix 1:1 for bottling. My thoughts and questions are about amounts. I have read just fill up a mason jar with powdered shroom then add as much 80 proof to cover the powder. Now this does not seem very scientific to me so I was wondering for the sake of continuity and a sense of potency if you had anything to add to this process or have locked down amounts for powder to alcohol ratio and/or double extraction process. Like I said I'm trying to create a micro dosing tincture not a 'one drop and your tripping' solution.
Thoughts?

Edited by matjinks (06/23/23 07:50 AM)

OfflineMrGary52
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Tincture making questions [Re: matjinks]
    #28371473 - 06/23/23 03:34 PM (9 months, 18 days ago)

Well, I've been doing double extractions, and the tinctures taste better and work well, but I can't really calculate dosage as well.

For example, if I use 50 grams of dried shrooms in 500ml of alcohol in a single extraction, then I know that the final product will be 0.1gm per ml dropper (assuming that the resultant tincture is 500ml).

If instead, I use 50 grams of dried shrooms in 500ml of alcohol and then do a second extraction in 500ml of water, then I don't really know what the resultant tincture strength is. I'm fine with that, since a batch of tincture will last a long time for my wife and me. But it does bug me that I don't know how to calculate strength

We're using similar processes.  I'm not using a sous vide yet, though I've thought about it, especially since it's also useful for tempering chocolate, and chocolate infused with powdered shrooms is another lovely way to enjoy these special fruits.

I drop the powdered shrooms into a jar, add the alcohol, and shake daily for 2-4 weeks, resting the jars in a dark place. One great advance in my process is that I bought a Buchner filter and a little vacuum pump, which pulls the alcohol through the "sludge" quickly and very thoroughly. I put the sludge in a slow cooker with distilled water and let it slowly infuse for about 12 hours before draining it. After cooling, I pour the alcohol extract into the water extract, and then run the combined tincture through the filter again.

So, I'm not clear enough on strength to sell it to someone with a specified dosage strength, but we are enjoying good results at the above mentioned ratio of 50gm/500ml. One dropperful for my wife and two for me!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale